JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

can you feel that?

Hero1

• Admin

Will Smith – "Switch" (Interscope) Another strong week for Will as he follows up most added honors last week with another week at the top of the movie world. The film Hitch is #1 for a second straight week taking in another $31.5 million and the song continues to grow rapidly. With just over 1,000 total spins, "Switch" had an increase of more than 600 spins this past week and radio stations from coast to coast are believing in the power of Will. Coming on strong at WRVQ (38x), KHFI (36x), WKSC (33x), KZHT (30x), PRO-FM (29x), KZZP (23x), plus KIIS, WNCI, WKRZ and many more.

http://zfmq.fimc.net/chr.asp Radio Industry News

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:bang: Ok Mimi, the credibility that your dad worked in the movie industry overseas and U.S. doesn't really give any relevant facts to if what you are saying is true. For all we know he was probably a small time company anyway and just because your dad says that doesn't mean it goes for everyone; that's just his opinion. Honestly people, why does it matter if Will makes it better overseas or U.S.? does it prove that the U.S. is better? What are you really tryna prove? Is the overseas better? No. I live in the U.S. I admit that if you make it in the music industry here it is more of an advantange overall but it doesn't determine whether or not an artist will make it anywhere. Will is already popular and doesn't need more sales in the U.S. to tell him if he should make more albums or not. Drop the damn subject it's stupid and we won't agree, only to disagree.

:bang: Ok Mimi, the credibility that your dad worked in the movie industry overseas and U.S. doesn't really give any relevant facts to if what you are saying is true.  For all we know he was probably a small time company anyway and just because your dad says that doesn't mean it goes for everyone; that's just his opinion.  Honestly people, why does it matter if Will makes it better overseas or U.S.?  does it prove that the U.S. is better? What are you really tryna prove? Is the overseas better?  No.  I live in the U.S. I admit that if you make it in the music industry here it is more of an advantange overall but it doesn't determine whether or not an artist will make it anywhere.  Will is already popular and doesn't need more sales in the U.S. to tell him if he should make more albums or not. Drop the damn subject it's stupid and we won't agree, only to disagree.

actually he worked for Fox. Is that a small company? I'm sayin I know this b/c not only did he deal with the studio itself, he had to oversee some of the soundtracks for certain movies. The truth is, and most of u don;t want to accept it it seems, is people want to make it here. I don't want to use 50cent as an example, but he sold 11 mil in the US. he said if he doesn't sell 11 mil or more of his record this time, he will see it as a failure. Now, he toured in Euprope, Japan, etc. But, it's almost as if he doesn't count overseas success b/c the US is more important to him.

BTW: All American artists have record labels here in the US. If they don't do well here, their "american based" record labels are gonna drop them quick. Jimmy Iovine (interscope) isn't gonna keep Will if he only does well overseas. Guess ya'll ain't think bout that huh?

Also I never said the US is better. But business wise, if u wanna see Will stay in the rap game longer, his label is here in the US. Even if he wants to make an album, the record industry could become shady if he fails here. Like I said, u guys are thinking philosophically, getting offended when I didn't even imply the US is better than a foreign country. My parents are from mexico, so don't try to bring that **** on me

U guys are disagreeing with me, but u have no basis to back up your claims. So when u can prove that Interscope won't drop Will if he fails in the US, then talk back please. Otherwise, u are disagreeing and i'd still think I'm right.

Edited by *mimi*

• Admin

even if interscope dropped Will its very easy for him to dign deals with record labels around the world..bootsy collins was one who released an album on warner germany..and it got released around the world and did very well and was finally released in the US about a year later..many artists actually release albums in japan first.. the thing is Will has been in the music business for 20 years and this is his 9th album..so nothings gonna stop him

even if interscope dropped Will its very easy for him to dign deals with record labels around the world..bootsy collins was one who released an album on warner germany..and it got released around the world and did very well and was finally released in the US about a year later..many artists actually release albums in japan first.. the thing is Will has been in the music business for 20 years and this is his 9th album..so nothings gonna stop him

u never know... bootsy collins didn't even do well here. My thing is, I don't wanna see Will be called a failure or a flop again. He's doin real well in the movies, and hopefully he has luck with music.

I know your intentions are good but the way you talk about how Will has to make it here in order to have success is just down right misconceptual. You're right we don't have a daddy that works for Fox, that's fine, but you don't know Will and you don't know what affects his descisions to make more music. :ali: But I hope we're still friends. :thumb:

Most great hip-hop albums don't go platinum or gold, so I don't really give a f*** how much "Lost and Found" sells as long as he keeps his hip-hop credability and is a classic hip-hop album, I think the rappers that top the charts have no credability in hip-hop anymore, only suburban cats that ain't hip-hop fans listen to them now, they only like pimp and hoe crap, they're pop rappers, not mcs. FP should focus on making Overbrook a bigger independant force in the music industry and he won't need a major label ever again. :ditto:

Most great hip-hop albums don't go platinum or gold, so I don't really give a f*** how much "Lost and Found" sells as long as he keeps his hip-hop credability and is a classic hip-hop album, I think the rappers that top the charts have no credability in hip-hop anymore, only suburban cats that ain't hip-hop fans listen to them now, they only like pimp and hoe crap, they're pop rappers, not mcs. FP should focus on making Overbrook a bigger independant force in the music industry and he won't need a major label ever again. :ditto:

I dont care either, well perhaps I'll suicide or get depressed if it doesnt sell good, but thats all.

Most great hip-hop albums don't go platinum or gold, so I don't really give a f*** how much "Lost and Found" sells as long as he keeps his hip-hop credability and is a classic hip-hop album, I think the rappers that top the charts have no credability in hip-hop anymore, only suburban cats that ain't hip-hop fans listen to them now, they only like pimp and hoe crap, they're pop rappers, not mcs.  FP should focus on making Overbrook a bigger independant force in the music industry and he won't need a major label ever again. :ditto:

Yeah to take this one step further, I haven't posted this before, but every time I see a "get Will on TRL" post or "I hope this CD is a huge success" comment, I think to myself: ok... am I supposed to care that much? Don't get me wrong, as a fan, that's cool, I'd be happy for him or whatever if L&F is commercially popular, maybe that gives him more leverage & motivation to make more music, and I guess this gives us something to talk about on these boards before we actually hear the album lol. But I'd rather a great collection of music that completely flops than a slighty less great collection that the mainstream loves anyday. Quality is everything, hype is nothing. I'm sure most of you feel that way too, but just sayin.

Edited by scyhigh99