JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

FRESH PRINCE ON COMMERCIAL RAP

I think i've posted this b4, but i think now most of the people on this board will agree with FP 100%. Here's a very short part of the interview he did with Playboy in their December 2001 issue.

---

PLAYBOY: What do you think of the hard-edged rap being made now? Could you see yourself doing that kind of music?

PRINCE: I have to live as who i am. I create the music that's in my heart. I talk about the things i feel, and i am in a position that a lot of guys aren' in. I don't have to rap for money. I make what i want the way to make it. It's hard for me to outwardly condemn people for trying to feed their families.

PLAYBOY: Are you concerned withsome of the messages in these songs?

PRINCE: The bottom line is that a lot of people who have been blessed with this forum aren't really smart. I have educated myself beyond a lot of my peers in the rap world, and, more than anything, here's my beef: Iunderstand what you are saying and what you feel, but the world is begger than what you are rapping about. Just rap about more topics in your world. You mean to tell me, all day long, all you do is smoke blunts, have sex and kill people? You never do anything else? You have never one time in your life really liked somebody, never been soft and acted spun-out over some girl? You never sat outside some girl's house hoping she isn't with somebody when she comes home? Let me hear that story.

PLAYBOY: Yor're saying that too much rap is one-sided?

PRINCE: Absolutely. We were in a village in Mozambique. Jay-Z and Tupac were scribbled on the walls of a shack with no running water and no electricity. Rap music is black America's contribution to the world, and that is who people around the world thing black Americans are. They represent me. I have less of a problem with Eminem. He isreally creative but so far over the top that it's clearly a farce. Eminem isn't trying to make people believe that's really how he lives his life every day. Eminem is silly, having a good time, and he doesn't affect my community.

PLAYBOY: Whose work do you most admire?

PRINCE: There are alot of guys underground who have skillz, but Jay-Z is the most talented mainstream Hip-Hop lyricist. I just think there are more topics he could explore. He is smart, so i know he will.

---

I just like what he says in those few sentences. He totally puts it out there how Eminem really dosen't get 2 him and how Em really isn't representing real Hip-Hop heads or even makes reality based music. He talks about the lack of subject matter in mainstream Rap, which is something nearly everybody falls victim 2 (Nelly, Ja-Rule, Ludacris, Jay-Z, 50 Cent, The Game, G-Unit, Chingy, Lil' Jon). It also shows that he keeps his ear open 2 underground Hip-Hop which i thought is very cool since it has 2 be hard 2 be a huge Hollywood star, family man, and still get down with the non-mainstream Hip-Hop.

• Members

of course he is right half the rap out right now is about guns having sex and another stuff there decent songs aleast most of them but thats like the only thing ever talked about

but there is alot of rappers out there who rap about real things talib kweli immortal technique etc

i dont really care i listen to all of them they make good music

FP's a smart man, I bet his opinion of Jay-Z has changed though recently, especially since Nas exposed how fake he is! :lolsign: I posted an article on Chuck D over in the 'Caught In The Middle' forum(go check it), where he says similiar things that FP does, "Rappers today don't live the rhymes they write, they just do it for money", bottomline ol' school mcs are fed up and want a change.

I like what he says. But what I don't like is contradicting action like flying Pablo out for 4 tracks. I'd say the same for Ludacris and to a somewhat lesser extent Snoop Dogg (to all those planning to argue this, if these rappers want me to believe that there's more to them than their singles, they need to release different singles, there's no way I plan on buying an album if the only song I've heard from it is "Get Back").

God Blessa!

Edited by djsilvertiger

Well, apparently FP saw something in various artists that made him wanna work with them. I really don't see him working with somebody just 2 help sales...his mind dosen't work like that. I'm thinkin' he may have met certain artists b4 and got 2 know them, which made him wanna work with them. In 2002, FP threw that "Will Smith + Friends" even during the All-Star Game week and he had Ludacris headline it.

FP's a smart man, I bet his opinion of Jay-Z has changed though recently, especially since Nas exposed how fake he is! :lolsign: I posted an article on Chuck D over in the 'Caught In The Middle' forum(go check it), where he says similiar things that FP does, "Rappers today don't live the rhymes they write, they just do it for money", bottomline ol' school mcs are fed up and want a change.

Nas is ALOT more fake than Jay-Z, Jay-Z doesn't spit about what he hasn't done, unlike Nas who was just a bystander to what he writes about