JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Racist Hot 97 Skit Mocking Tsunami Victims

fan 4ever

Racist Hot 97 Skit Mocking Tsunami Victims

1/26/05 UPDATE: Hot 97 Announces Suspension, Details Unclear So Far

Edit: Check the new updates/new audio here (more updates posted 1/25/05)

and click herefor Jin's new freestyle dissing Hot 97.

-------------------

For the last week Hot 97 has been running a hideously unfunny and offensive skit named "Tsunami Song," that ridicules the victims of the Tsunami as "ch*nks" whose children will now be sold into child slavery. It's being played on the station's morning show, hosted by Miss Jones.

It's also featured on their website, on the right side of the page.

EDIT: the mp3 link is not working from their site anymore, but they're not gonna cover this up that easily. The fine citizens at okayplayer.com saved a copy here for evidence. Also check their discussion of the song here and here

Here are some choice lyrics:

..All at once you could hear the screaming ch*nks and no one was safe from the wave there were africans drowning, little chinamen swept away you could hear god laughing, "swim you b*tches swim"

So now you're screwed, it's the Tsunami

you better run or kiss your ass away, go find your mommy

I just saw her float by, a tree went through her head

and now the children will be sold to child slavery...

Uhh, yeah. Har de har har.

You may know that one of that show's other hosts, Miss Info, is Asian. She voiced her displeasure with the skit and got into a heated on-air argument with Miss Jones about it. But so far Hot 97 hasn't acknowledged that there's anything wrong with it, and they continue to air it everyday.

As a New Yorker, as a radio person, and as a hip-hop fan I am ashamed and disgusted that Hot 97 is allowing this to broadcast on their airwaves. If you feel the same way you can let them know here:

NOTE: If you use the word "tsunami" in your email it will probably get filtered now, and not read. So try to leave that word out..

HOT 97

395 Hudson St. 7th Fl.

New York, NY 10014

(212) 229-9797

hot97@hot97.com

Or even better, Hot 97's parent company Emmis broadcasting:

ir@emmis.com

jsmulyan@emmis.com

rcummings@emmis.com

jsteele@emmis.com

khealey@emmis.com

And if you really want to send a message, and make Hot 97 hear it, you can contact their advertisers about this. I may try to put together a list of sponsors, or if anybody else has one please pass it along.

EDIT: The list of sponsors is here

And there are now two online petitions you can sign:

http://www.petitiononline.com/tsunmai7/petition.html

http://www.petitiononline.com/endhate/petition.html

source: http://www.hiphopmusic.com/archives/000759.html

I can't believe this!!! I signed one of the petitions!!

And i checked that Jin freestyle..i never liked him...but he does make a strong point!!

If you haven't heard the song yet..you can listen here!!

This is really disrespectfull y'all!! I can't believe they do something like that on radio?? :nhawong:

Edited by fan 4ever

That's disrespectful, Miss Jones should be taken off the air!

ignorance is bliss!

this old guy in the UK just lost his job, or is going to b/c he made a joke in reference to the Tsunami, and David Beckham....don't know what it was exactly cuz i don't pay much attention to what goes on in the UK....but it had something to do with him saying something about "Toon Army" which of course sounds like Tsunami when said a certain way

these a**holes need to grow up...how can you make light of a situation like this? you know how pissed people would be if someone brought up 9/11 in a similar context?...it just disgusts me that people can disrespect other people's mermories, and feelings....i hope SOMEBODY! loses their damn job and is used as an example

IT seems that miss jones wuz suspended. Heres whut ?uestlove jsut posted on the okayplayer site:

Hot 97 has "suspended indefinitely" Miss Jones' morning show. While many sources cite a song that trivialized the suffering of tsunami victims as the cause of this action, Hot 97's explanation differs drastically. Okayplayer was contacted today at 5:45 a.m. by Hot 97's publicist, Kathy Moreno. She stated, "After weeks of research, we have discovered that Miss Jones was the primary cause of the tsunami. Apparently, when dangerous levels of suck are transmitted through radio waves, dangerous seismological ramifications are almost a guarantee." She continued, "The song was actually a red herring. We at Hot 97 apologize for the horrible results of our programming and will make a concerted effort to suck less."

Edited by williefromphilly