JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Big Willie Style vs. Willenium

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

This isn't even close.  Willennium is by far the better album.  As much as I love BWS, Willennium was strictly a classic hip-hop album.  I think the problem with music today is that people are looking for music that's "hot".  The problem with "hot" tracks is they usually lack creativity, orginality and authencity.  You can argue that 50 Cent makes "hot" tracks but are they GOOD tracks?  The other problem with "hot" tracks is they quickly fade away into oblivion(i.e. "The Thong Song").  Will people be bumping "In The Club" 5 years from now?  I really doubt it.  I will guarantee that 20 years from now, people will still bump Eric B. & Rakim's "I Ain't No Joke", JJFP's "Brand New Funk" or Common's "I Used To Love H.E.R."  I would venture to say about 95% of rap music out today is way too interested in being "hot" as opposed to being true to hip-hop.  BWS was a great album but it was not a pure hip-hop album.  Willennium is pure hip-hop.

Good to know that Will2k, Freakin It and La Fiesta are pure hip hop...

Well as a year older and more mature I'd have to say "Willenium" but I still love "Big Willie Style" but since summer's ending, I've been feelin' "Willenium" lately.

Yeah, BWS will always have a soft spot in my heart. Willenium may be the better quality album, but BWS will always be my favorite and most listened to album out of the two.

Frankly, I think a lot of people are feeling Willenium so much because Jeff was involved... Before anyone says no... Think back to your reactions to Lost and Found when you thought Jeff was involved a lot, and after you found out he wasn't involved much at all. Same music, same beats, same lyrics... but your reactions changed, didn't they...

Well I didn't download "Lost and Found" before it came out, I actually waited for it but musically you can't say that it the tracks sound better than what Jazzy Jeff produced, you could also tell that Jazzy Jeff didn't scratch on the album too, his scratching sounds like an instrument and the scratches on the album only sound like it was from the computer. You could always pick a few songs from every classic album and say that you don't like them but that doesn't mean the album's not classic.

Edited by bigted

• Admin

naa first time i heard willennium i was blown away. I think willennium has some of the best music on a rap album in all of hip hop.. plus i didnt even know jeff did that much on the album every1 had no idea at the time and i only realised once i checked the credits after listenin 2 the album so no bias :word: I cant rate Big Willie Style cause i just dont like rap all about cars n clothes n how good u are and son ridin in cockpits n all that stuff :ponder: it just has no meaning 2 me.. ill take l&f over that easily :word:

If Jazzy Jeff produced all of "Lost and Found" or "Big Willie Style", I'd be dissapointed and say that his production fell off, even though they're great albums lyrically, production wise they're lacking, that's why I think "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper", "Homebase", and "Code Red" are so great 'cause they got great lyrics/great production throughout which is something his solo albums been lacking, "Willenium" has awesome production but "Freakin' It" and "Will 2K" are just awful produced tracks, they sound like they just used the sample and didn't add anything to it, the wackbastards screwed up. :lol:

Edited by bigted

Willenium over Big Willie Style no doubt about it. There are some decent tracks on BWS but a lot of it is superficial, as Tim said. There are some great tracks on Willenium, like The Rain and Potnas. Nothing on BWS can even come close to those two tracks right there.

"Willenium" is definately more mature but I don't mind the boasting and braggin of "Big Willie Style" 'cause sometimes I feel like tellin' people "Don't Say Nothin'" and "Y'all Know" i'm #1! :rockon:

Willennium easy. and of course it may be because that was the first WS album i bought and it did blow me away, but it's the album that has the soft spot in my heart. BWS is just too "pop" with Jiggy, Miami, MIB, etc. of course Willennium has some filler tracks too like Freakin It and Da Butta to name a couple. Willennium just has more meaningful songs to me.... I'm Comin'.... Who Am I.... Afro Angel... So Fresh.... Pump Me Up.... Potnas.... The Rain. i can't say the same thing about BWS. the only songs that stick out to me are Y'all Know, Don't Say Nothin and It's All Good.

Well "Big Willie Style" did have "Chasin' Forever" and "Just The Two Of Us" which I think had a lot of heart to them but "Willenium" had more of those type of tracks on it though, if you take away the singles just like "Willenium"(except for "Just The Two Of Us" and "So Fresh" of course), the album's flawless and dominated the competition in '97/98 with the punchlines in "Yes Yes Y'all", "Y'all Know", and "Don't Say Nothin'" that was classic FP spittin', that album got me into JJFP so I got nothin' bad to say about it. But of course summer's ending and I'm more into the mature songs on "Willenium" right now since it's time for me to chill and stop frontin', lol, my moods change constantly so sometimes I might say "Big Willie Style" and other times I'll say 'Willenium", they're both great albums.

Edited by bigted