JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Giving Propz To JJFP

fan 4ever

Sup y'all

I was bored, so i went on allhiphop.com! I found a lot of articles where people are giving props to JJFP! Here are some of it! Check it out!

This first bit is from this MC Whu?eva, i don't know him, but he gives props to Will!

AllHipHop: Yo, besides Redman and Rock and you know, the Def Squad, who are your musical influences?

W: Well I'm from Queens, so I definitely gotta go with Run DMC... LL. Um, Fresh Prince. I've always loved Fresh Prince since the first time he came out.

AllHipHop: Word?

W: Word, Fresh Prince.

AllHipHop: So you don't buy into the he's wack thing?

W: Nah, I don't buy into it. I respect him. His image might be more watered down than other cats, but I remember where he came from. He's always had a clean-cut image but he was always funny, he had character.

The next bit is from this philly group cald NAAM Brigade!

AHH: Speaking of MC's from your region, who were the major influences from your area, any guys like Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, DJ Cash Money, Eve, The Roots, Philly's Most Wanted?

Sonni Blak: Definitely Jeff and Will, because at one time they were just one of the only acts still out here. The Roots too because we've done a lot of shows with them and they always show love out here.

This is from Tone Deff!

AHH: As an MC, you really have a steady balance between content and lyricism. Most MC's today have one or the other, rarely both. How have you honed that skill?

TD: A couple things have actually happened in the past year and a half. We're still feeling the effects of the whole thug rapper movement from like '96-'97. But ever since Eminem came out, and started doing the things he's been doing, all the thugs had to do punchlines and rhyme schemes. So the thugs are doing the styles we were doing four years ago. It's funny to watch. When Common's "Resurrection" came out, my whole style changed. Having clarity, and just the way of rhyming, came from Fresh Prince and LL. Common gave me the inspiration to really start doing wordplay. Since then, I've incorporated my speedy Miami flow that I got freestyling over Miami bass.

And the last bit is from Freddy Foxx!

AllHipHop: Samuel L. Jackson made comments last year claiming that rappers are stealing work of Black actors (and later restated) how do you feel on that?

FF: I think that’s an excuse for people who fear that young African Americans who have talent make actors who can’t rap, uncomfortable in their job positions. So how am I supposed to feel when an actor who has a rapping

ability comes along and comes into the game. Case scenario: Allen Iverson. I dissed him on “The Lah”, I dissed Kobe Bryant because I felt like (pauses) Shaqueille O’Neal is another one. I mean, Shaqueille is not a bad rapper, but

I mean come on man. There are rappers who bust their ass to get a record deal and really have talent, [and] can’t get a deal, but you buy your way through the business. What if I had fifty billion dollars and I bought my way on to

the bench as the fourth man? So in Samuel L. Jackson’s case, it’s a catch twenty-two. If the actor is more popular than he is talented, then yes I agree with him. But if the rapper is talented, then who is [Jackson] to say he won’t he act next to him. But as an African American in a country where older African American actors had to deal with the ‘Yessa boss’ roles and all that butler sh*t, let’s keep it gulley man. I think he should be sayin’, ‘Yo, it’s a step up.’ I thought Tupac would’ve been a dope actor to play next to Samuel L. Jackson. I think Will Smith is good example. Will Smith can probably get a better acting role than Samuel L. Jackson. But I don’t think it has anything to do with him being a rapper. That’s like Samuel L. Jackson once being a crack-head. What if somebody said, ‘I ain’t gonna do a kissing scene with a God-damned ex-crack-head,’ (laughs). I think sometimes people need to put a caution light on their mouth and watch what they say. Because one day it comes back, and it don’t come back in Black media, it comes back in White media.