JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

I'm Lookin For The One To Be With Me

This song is so underrated. Its just as every bit as smooth as Summertime and its a great video (if you've ever seen it) and it makes me think of summers and how good it is to be a TEENAGER ahahah.

Don't you guys feel its underrated and should have been a big hit?

• Admin

yep exactly!!! its probably my favorite jazzy jeff & fresh prince track these days.. i dont know why it wasnt a hit..maybe it was a head of its time..but its such a good jam!! right up there with summertime as you say :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: :bowdown:

This song is so underrated. Its just as every bit as smooth as Summertime and its a great video (if you've ever seen it) and it makes me think of summers and how good it is to be a TEENAGER ahahah.

Don't you guys feel its underrated and should have been a big hit?

yeah thats a JJFP classic and underrated 2. its not my favorite or anything. these days i find Rock The House (the ablum) really appealing... its probably my fav right now.

"I'm Looking for the One(to be with me)" is my favorite JJFP song of all-time. I love watching the video. It definatly does have a feel of when your a teen just joking around with your friends and find girlies to hook up with and just overall having a good time. Only FP can rap that song.

I dont get how it wasn't a hit either. I say its pretty much like 2pac's "I Get Around" which I mean like a feel-good party joint. I remember Tim says it sounds very '95ish in which I think it does too. Dope song.

"I'm Looking For The One (To Be With Me)" may have a similar impact like "Summertime" becuz they were both produced by Hula + K. Fingers. Those guys came up with some crazy beats and JJ+FP had great chemistry with them.

I like the song alot, but one thing that won't allow me 2 compare it 2 "Summertime" and "Brand New Funk" is that, since it's a party song, the lyrics just aren't that focused. It bugged me for years that the title and chorus have nothing 2 do with the lyrics.

Ha ha...opps....how could i mix that up...it only has the early-mid 90's New Jack Swing sound all over it. :roll: I'm thinkin' about "Shadow Dreams." I think that song lyrically waz on the same page as "Summertime." Not that the production is far behind it either. "Just Kickin' It" has the same feel-good feel and flawless production of "Summertime."

I think maybe the song is ahead of its time. Back when i was at 6form college in 2001 me and my friend studied the video for that song and did a report on it. Our Video Tutor was shocked it was from 1994 and thought the vid was ahead of its time.

I think maybe the song is ahead of its time.

No, i think the song hit right on time. Teddy Riley dosen't make trax like that anymore. The production is just a good mix of Hip-Hop and R-N-B with that New Jack Swing feel TR is famous 4. FP's lyrics are definitly 1993. He takes on all those phoney gangsta rappers by keeping the JJ+FP sound new and fresh 4 the "nine-trey" and even calls them out.

Other than BLACKstreet, i don't remember much from Teddy Riley after the mid-90's. He produced Queen Pen's 1st album, the Guy III album (of course), the last 2 BLACKstreet albums...other spots on Sisqo's 2nd album, Profyle's 2nd album. He's a talented guy but gets overlooked alot these days. Some of his late-90's/early 00's work is a bit weaker, but he definitly got back in2 the swing of things with that last BLACKstreet album "Level II." I think FP should have had him produce a track for Big Willie Style or Willennium.

I think maybe the song is ahead of its time.

No, i think the song hit right on time. Teddy Riley dosen't make trax like that anymore. The production is just a good mix of Hip-Hop and R-N-B with that New Jack Swing feel TR is famous 4. FP's lyrics are definitly 1993. He takes on all those phoney gangsta rappers by keeping the JJ+FP sound new and fresh 4 the "nine-trey" and even calls them out.

I understand what your saying. But i just think the song could have done easily aswell a few years later and still sound Fresh. My main point was about the video being original and ahead of its time anyway

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I know this is an old thread and all but I must write anyway...

Im Looking For The One is another one of the JJFP that couldnt be done better then it got. Everything is just perfect with both the song and the video. I know we shouldnt compare new songs with old songs but...

this song would work good today too on a radio, wouldnt it?