JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

FuQ - Somethin' Stressed

mfuqua23

Hey y'all. Here's a song from my Untitled album that I finished in the summer. It was hard to pick a track. It consists of 16 + 2 Bonus. This is a definate creative track, considering the sample, lyrics, and how it was organized. I'm curious to see if anyone can figure out what I used.

Click Here to listen to Somethin' Stressed

May 8, 2004 (8:53 p.m. - 11:43 p.m.)

CHORUS:

Somethin' Stressed comin outta my mind

Try 2 feel better as I release this rhyme

Somethin' Stressed and I don't really know

Somethin' Stressed but I gotta let go

I don't understand this feelin that's come over me

But it's like a shadow that always shoulders me

Cold in one instance cuz it's keepin me down

Warm in the other, if things happen when it's around

We all need it, but it's somethin I seem 2 bleed as I breath

If no one's around, then I got nothin 2 please

Know the emotions, but they always hide

More subconsciou I stay, the more my mind divides

Approaches seem different, some call it ignorant

Walk wit my head down, but I just think it needs lifted

CHORUS

Started when I was four, gaining memory thru the eyes

Fallin in love wit these girls, becomin' part of their lives

Used to be talkative and wild, when I was a lil child

Destroyed my happiness, now I can't even smile

wit style, why am I gettin ignored

Can't walk thru my shoes, but still step on the floor

to worlds that I've been to, see what I've been thru

Only things a personality can go thru

Tell me, who were U? What were U doin'?

Abuse my heart, and my life is ruined

Try lookin' up 2 get enuff of the good things in life

One extremely special girl gets in my life and I'm feelin aight

But there's still such a pressure 2 measure, how R we 2gether?

Maybe it's nothin' but I'm still writing songs and letters

Could it be what I think it is, constant thoughts gettin no rest

But whatever it is, I know it's Somethin' Stressed

CHORUS

(just goes on)...

It sounds like you used 'Usher - You got it bad' but just slowed down. I really do think you need to work on your recording techniques. It would make your songs sound better.

You need to break up the verses when you rap them (this is a major thing I think you need to improve on). It sounds like you are trying to get too many words into a sentance and just sounds rushed and forced. Also the timimg of some of your rhymes are off I think. They either come in too quick or too late.

Also, I can't stress enough how much adlibs improve songs. From what I heard, there was none at all in your song and I've noticed this is the same with all your songs. It adds depth and atmosphere.

I think your vocals need turining up as well. If I wasn't reading the lyrics along as well, I would have found it difficult to understand some of the things you were saying.

One last thing (but this is purely preference as an artist). i think the first verse is too short. It is only 10 bars and I think it needed to be more conventional at 16 bars (as is the 2nd verse).

Other than that it was ok!

brakes - I wrote it to fit the beat of the song. That's why the verse were the length they were. Even FP had some odd lengthed ones. Like on "Summertime", it went 6,8,14. And yeah, that was Usher 'U got it Bad slowed down'. Plus I don't really know how the ad-libbing thing works with the programs I have. And if I just so happen to have done, it doesn't sound right. It sounds like two nasty voices.

kbfprince - thanks

ws1 - no I'm not.

Edited by mfuqua23

brakes - I wrote it to fit the beat of the song. That's why the verse were the length they were. Even FP had some odd lengthed ones. Like on "Summertime", it went 6,8,14. And yeah, that was Usher 'U got it Bad slowed down'. Plus I don't really know how the ad-libbing thing works with the programs I have. And if I just so happen to have done, it doesn't sound right. It sounds like two nasty voices.

Thats not true! If you listen to what you recorded, after you finish the first verse, theres still loads of time for you to continue rapping but you don't! There was about 6 bars left. You filled it with words like "something stressed". I personally think it would have been better if you would have continued rapping. I'm not disputing the fact that other rappers have different length verses but like I said

this is purely preference as an artist

Adlibs are easy. You don't have to do anything special with the programme you use to do it. All you do is rap over the top of your main vocals, emphasizing certain words you want to stand out. When you have finished doing this, you simply turn the adlibs down a bit to create a more harmonised sound. Its as easy as that.

Trust me....if you do everything I've told you, your songs will sound better. At the moment, they seem rushed and like your always out of breath. Take some time and pride in your creative work and you'll appreiate it alot more.