JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

pls help me make a desicion!

kbfprince

here's the situation. I am a freshman in high school and im taking geometry. my teacher's name is Mr. Weekes. he is like a genius when it comes to math and stuff.

anyway, i have a D in his class, and he says all the freshman who are D and F students should transfer outta geometry and into algera 1 again. should I do it? i mean, my parents really want me in geometry. plus, they dont know I have a D. (heh)

weekes says that if i go back in algebra and get an A and get an A all the way thru HS math, then i have a better chance of going to college than if i stay in geometry and struggle. :sad6: :what:

so what do you think I should do?? i want good grades and stuff like that. :bowdown:

First thing U gotta figure out is if this D is from your work effort or if it's from not having the background in math to take geometry. If U don't got the background covered well enuff, then drop. But if it's on ya part, stick wit it. I struggled wit Geometry a lil when I first started, but not no D status. It's been a while since I was in Geometry. How's your school's math curriculum set up? that might help.

basically, have you been trying enough in that lesson? If you've been trying your ass off and it still is not coming, it might be better to change. If you've just been lazing around not trying very hard then that may be why you're not doing too well, not that I'm saying you have been or anything :thumb:

well, i have been trying, i've been trying to learn the theorms postulates and definitions and stuff. i'm having trouble with the proofs. it's like so hard doing the reasons on those. and the teacher doesn't let us abbreviate. :bang:

it's weird, because i like him as a teacher. he always says that he expects us to think (lol). he never shows us how to do lessons cos he says we have to think ourselves and not think like him, lol.

Geometry seems easy but it gets hard. And some of Geometry is a complete waste. Like how to copy a line segment with a compass that takes like 10 min! what the hell. I can copy it exactly in two seconds flat with my hand and a pen. lol.

depends what number grade your D is at...it gets easy to raise your grade when your doing bad. but i say hang in there.

I mean your background as far as what U were taught in Algebra, Pre-Algebra, Consumer Math, etc. 4 example, I'm taking Calculus and U gotta have a background in Trig/Adv. Math. Algebra is a big part as well. Our teacher be talkin bout "that's Algebra 3". Our school only goes up to algebra 2, and that teacher never taught us the kind of stuff we'd need to carry on.

2 be honest, the only thing about Geometry I remember is Angles and Shapes. That proofs and therom things sounds familiar. But then again a lot of this math stuff does.

Man, i SUCK at math. 2 me, u only need basic math in life 2 get by. I'll never go in2 a field of work where i'll be answering something like "Z= a/5 x 5.67 x(bc - 976/43) - 483769405...solve for a." If u are okay in math, just push thru' and stay focused. I waz always a notoriously average student and while i usually did good in English, computer classes, and especially art-related classes, i ALWAYS stuggled and often did average (or less) in math and science classes. As a college student, i'm telling u 2 stay focused and learn all u can when it comes 2 that stuff. As u get older, u get more stuborn and it gets harder 2 learn. U don't wanna waste time in classes when u are an adult who can chose 2 do something else. On top of that, doing bad in classes NOW will make u have 2 take many more in college which means alot of wasted time and money. I failed my math class this semester which means i just threw $400 out the window. Just do your best and stay determined.

Man, i SUCK at math. 2 me, u only need basic math in life 2 get by. I'll never go in2 a field of work where i'll be answering something like "Z= a/5 x 5.67 x(bc - 976/43) - 483769405...solve for a." If u are okay in math, just push thru' and stay focused. I waz always a notoriously average student and while i usually did good in English, computer classes, and especially art-related classes, i ALWAYS stuggled and often did average (or less) in math and science classes. As a college student, i'm telling u 2 stay focused and learn all u can when it comes 2 that stuff. As u get older, u get more stuborn and it gets harder 2 learn. U don't wanna waste time in classes when u are an adult who can chose 2 do something else. On top of that, doing bad in classes NOW will make u have 2 take many more in college which means alot of wasted time and money. I failed my math class this semester which means i just threw $400 out the window. Just do your best and stay determined.

have you ever gotten a D in 1st semester? did u do better in the 2nd? i struggle in science too. in biology im getting a C cos i took 2 weeks off to go back to asia (where i was born)-. good thing i aced the last test or else i woulda been at a C. :sad6: so what are u doing in college now? maybe ill do that too since i suck at science and math and i like writing. :hilarious:

Well, i've been in college 4 a long time. One of my favorite lines in the movie How High, where Redman is looking at the campus and says something along the lines of "man, if did 6 years at community college, i'll can pull at least 12 outta this place." I have so many credits, but only 3 classes left (2 math and 1 science). I've wasted alot of time and money on those classes but i'll graduate one day. I work and do alot of theater so i havn't taken a full semester in years. When i do graduate, it'll ultimatly do nothing 4 me (alot of the interludes on Kanye West's CD are true). However, it'll be nice 2 have the stupid peice of paper when i do graduate.

Anyways, my best advice is, get focused, get good grades now, cuz u don't wanna waste lots of time and money later.

aight thanks people for the help. i think im gonna stick in the class. :rock: i normally don't post my life to a buncha people i don't know that well, but all the people here seem really cool. :clap: and please dont take that negatively.

ok im going to school now

Another thing, don't be ashamed 2 get a tutor. I've come 2 find out that i hate math so much that after i don't know what i'm doing for awhile, i just always quit. I can't motivate myself 2 do something i hate so much that next time i take a math class, i'm gonna get someone 2 help me thru' it. Some of us were born 2 not be good at math. :bang:

i'd actually recommend dropping the class if ur getting a D as long as it's not a question of ur effort. i dunno where u go 2 school, but where i go Algebra 1 is the recommended spot for freshman so freshmen in geometry are ahead. i'm taking geometry also and im a sophomore. it's not 2 difficult for me but im not sure how i wouldve done last year when i waz a freshman. there's nothing wrong with going back 2 algebra 1 which is right where ur supposed 2 be.

well man I go to Costa Mesa High. i think its near santa clara (i dont know), one of my friends live there. there's a new school thats being built there huh?

i would drop, but my mom has real high expectations of me... i dont wanna let her down so im gonna try to do better after the break. i got a 93% on my all proof take home test so that raised my grade up. :thumb: