JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Old School Hip Hop Artists

Larsa

It's amazing how a music style can go from a place where cussing is used sparingly 2 be all over the music. I think it's insanely 1-sided now. It's hard 4 me 2 listen 2 music with alot of cussing cuz it simply annoys me. There's no excuse 2 be that vulgar...4 real. It goes beyond cussing tho'...it's not so bad if it goes along with what the artist is trying 2 say. If they have something intellegent, that's all that really matters. However, excessive cussing kinda filters out any intellegence that could be there in the 1st place.

Anyways, WildWildWillennium listed the biggest players who keep it clean (at least 4 the most part) and respectful.

I really hope that the commercial side of Hip-Hop goes thru' a change where there are some guys out there keepin' it clean who get respect and sales. LL Cool J and Fresh Prince are really the only ones who've managed 2 pull it off. MC Hammer, Young MC, and Biz Markie have all released albums in recent years and they get no support. Nick Cannan pulled off moderate success, but that's about it. Mase is has done alright with his clean comeback.

Nick Cannon

i used to watch nick cannon on nickalodeon when i was little, but i haven't followed up on his album? is it any good?

There's some people on this board that hate his music (most of them i'm sure haven't really even heard it). I got his album and i love it. Slick mainstream production and positive, clean, sometimes deep, sometimes funny lyrics. He brings ALOT of the same flava that emcees had in the late 80's and early 90's but with a new skool twist. I never watched his stuff on TV so i heard the music 4 what it waz...which is probably a good thing. His album came out about a year ago...i don't see how it can be considered old school. :kekeke:

His album came out about a year ago...i don't see how it can be considered old school.  :kekeke:

Yeah i was thinking the same thing!! :kekeke: I've heard a couple songs from Nick...they ain't that bad!! If you wan't an other clean rapper...didn't KRS ONE made an album where he didn't cuss? Or am I wrong here? :what:

Edited by fan 4ever

I like Nick's music 2...some people diss him cuz he looks up 2 Will, but is that really a bad thing?! He brings it with a very commercial, radio-friendly vibe...but he's still very good in my opinion. The track "My Mic" alone is a good enough reason 2 go out and buy the album.

i went to a music store sometime in june and saw nick's album there and i listened to gigolo. i was there to pick up jc chasez's cd, but it had been a long time since i heard somethin bout nick. :touche: but alas i picked up jc's cd instead, which is a hot mix of everything. i read reviews on nick's album and they weren't all that good.

I bet the people that gave Nick's album bad reviews are the same people that diss Will's albums 4 his singles. First of all they label the album as pop because it's clean and respectable, and secondly most of them haven't heard the whole album so they judge them by the "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It", "Get Crunk Shorty" trax and don't go any deeper than that.

They don't hear FP's "The Rain" with Jill Scott or Nick's "Whenever You Need Me" with Mary J Blige cuz they weren't released as singles. They don't know what they're all about.