JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will on Boycott list

Radewart

• Members

here is the will part of the article in case u cant get to it cause it took me awhile on my schools computer

A four-month-old interview that Will Smith gave to a German newspaper - in which the movie star equated the devastation of 9/11 with an attack by "a racist cop" - is belatedly raising blood pressure in the United States.

I've read this interview someplace else. I believe it to be legit. At any rate, I'm not going to boycott Will or any other star I like because he/she may make comments that I may not agree with. Will has a right to make to voice his opinion on world events. I don't think Will is anti-American. I think people who try to silence people's opinion's, whether they agree with them or not, are un-American.

For the record, I have no opinion about Will's comments.

lol sorry but that sounds like prince wrote that article :kekeke: , who in their right mind would boycott his movies 4 that dumb reason, and even if Will did say president Bush lied about the war, who hasnt said that?

I dont know if i agree with what he said, im not black so i havnt encountered what he has. and i dont think he is anti- american, as an American he has freedom of speech and he just used that with his comments.

when Will was here in Spain he said on tv :"about our president I tell you the same about my relationship with my wife( he was talkin about how he & jada always say the truth to each other)if somebody lies to you you can't trust in that person again so I feel he has end up with our relationship and i have to look for somethin new..."

what if he said that, everybody is free to say his/her opinion and I think this one is shared of a lot o people but it's true that some celebrities like Susan Sarandon has had problems for saying what they think! THAT'S SO STUPID!!!!

• Members

if will really said that, then i think that was a wrong to say. i know he is entitled to free speech as his fundamental right, but it should have reason.

comparing terrorist attacks to racism is to say the least uncharitable. when those planes struck on 9/11, they didn't discriminate against black or white or religion. when those attacks occured, it was like the whole of humanity/world was under seige not only the u.s.

we are all fans of will but we should not forget he's human and imperfect. i'm very sure if he lost a relative in those attacks, he's views would have been different.

celebrities should be very careful of their political statements especially someone of will's calibre cause it could hurt them tremendously. i'm very sure if any of the bereaved of those attacks heard about will's statements and they were fans of his, then he's lost them.

it's just similar to statements credited to krs-1 about 9/11 too. i somewhat have a theory: if any african american feels strongly about racism and lives in constant paranoia, then he/she should come back to africa and reside here. there's no racism here and they'll be black like any other person and they'll have a good time. cause racism ain't gonna be eliminated in the states in the nearest future if at all.

will was somewhat indifferent to affairs such as this but now he's vocal on them he should be very careful of his statements. the 9/11 attacks were terrible and unjustifiable and should be condemned by all well meaning people. they were a result of the u.s's actions or inactions in foreign policy.

Of course there's still racism in America, you'd be stupid not to believe so, why couldn't Al Sharpton become president then? :dunno: What about all the worser things that Eminem says, do you see anyone boycotting his music? :dunno: If he were black they would, I bet if Jay-Z dissed Michael Jackson, MTV would've banned the video and the album wouldn't go platinum. There's nothing wrong with what FP or KRS said and those that boycott them are idiots 'cause everyone has a right to their opinion and we have to respect that, it's not like they raped or killed people like some entertainers have been doing, what about R. Kelly and Kobe Bryant, ain't they still as famous as ever for doing worse things than just talking? FP and KRS are speaking for the millions black people in the ghetto that don't have a voice to say those things they did but they feel the same way, I don't see the mainstream crying over what happens in the ghetto like they do to 9/11 after 3 years now, in the ghetto we're told to let go, so why can't the mainstream let go too, like LL said too "I don't mean this in a disrespectful way/ but Columbine happens in the ghetto everyday".

• Members

To diehardwill:

I rarely post here but I have to comment on your statement. First, open a dictionary. There are different types of terrorism. Individuals are terrorized on a daily basis by other individuals. As someone supposedly living on the African continent, I would think you should know the sexual terrorism many of the women and young girls there are facing. What might seem like constant paranoia to you is actually the reality of black people in America regardless of wealth or fame. Racism is also rampant in Africa which makes me question whether you are a white African reaping the benefits of colonialism living in complete oblivion/denial of the situation of others. Last, to say come back to Africa is ignorant as African-Americans did not ask to leave there in the first place.

• Members

first of all, i'm BLACK, a nigerian in west africa. secondly, the type of TERRORISM will was asked about by the tabloid was the 9/11 attacks and i still don't get how it can be related to racism in the form of a white cop to a black.

blacks died in those attacks and comparing them to racism is like saying 'hey, white america, serves you right'. like krs said, 'hmm, justice'.

common! these are people who lost their lives for crying out loud. we shouldn't hurt their memories with personal sentiments. anyone of you should imagine if you were in those buildings and the time of those attacks and you would know the terror of terrorism.

those people died horrific deaths and we should honor their memories by condemning terror.

Edited by diehardwill