JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"Street's Disciple"

bigted

In case y'all didn't know Nas' new album "Street's Disciple" dropped yesterday November 30th, what a fitting way to end hip-hop history month, another album from a hip-hop legend! :rock: I'm gonna pickup the album sometime this week. If y'all are looking for an alternative to that EMINEM/JAY-Z/NELLY/50 CENT trash out now, this album should be it 'cause Nas has always been an innovative mc!

I just haven't been able 2 get in2 Nas since the late 90's. The music just hasn't been the same...at least not the full albums. I picked it up and looked at it yesterday thought the that the album cover design waz wack...but i do wanna give the album a listen. With the holidays approaching, i sometimes can't stand being in stores cuz so many people are in their...and music stores during the holidays tend 2 have alot of people buying music by artists they know nothing about whether it's 4 themselves or for Christmas presents. There's nothing worse than having a bunch of uneducated people in a music store asking U 2 help them out when u don't work there. :roll:

I just haven't been able 2 get in2 Nas since the late 90's. The music just hasn't been the same...at least not the full albums.

You didn't like "Stillmatic" or "God's Son"? They were 2 of the best albums that came out since 2000 that you could listen to from start to finish, it'd be kinda hard to say that there was other hip-hop albums released since then that're better than those 2 unless you're talking about KRS-ONE's or LL Cool J's albums, he's a legend 'cause he's been able to drop dope album after dope album for more than a decade now, not many mc's have done that, there's a lot of mcs that can drop one dope album but that's basically it, that's why they can't stay in the game as long as Nas has, give credit where credit's due, after Eminem's and 50 Cent's fame is over that's it, but it doesn't matter with Nas 'cause he brings hip-hop from the heart so he'll stay in the game for a long time to come.

I disagree. If U got the emotions, u can listen to the albums all the way thru. God's Son was probably like LL's album he had to get out after his ? mom ? died. IT was after someone died. Don't remember who. He said he didn't care if it sold, he had to get it out. God's Son was probably like that for Nas. Plus his mom would've wanted him to continue his career wit a strong heart.

Stillmatic is the same. I was definately a Nas fan that hyped that album up for people around me. I knew all the lyrics within a month. Stillmatic has more strong songs to stand on than God's Son does.

I remember reading (and I think it was on this site) albums use to or should be that any song on it could be the single. Nas's Illmatic, without a doubt is a CLASSIC. Every song could've been a single. Hasn't been the same since. Don't expect it to be. Just to be the best MC he possibly can. From the way it looks, I think he captured some of that back. And brought in some new ones.

Yeah, his work on his 1st 2 albums is my favorite stuff. The Firm album and his 3rd had their moments, but nothing that impressive overall. After that, i just stopped following him. He got 2 egotistical and bling blingy on the stuff i heard around the end of the 90's. I loved "One Mic" tho.' Of the more popular rappers out that i don't listen 2, i definitly like him more than most of them. I heard only a few trax off Stillmatic and God's Son and whatever they were make me judge quickly and not spend anymore time on them. I guess i'll go back and give them an honest listen. I do know that if Jay-Z and Nas really went at it, Nas would easily wrap the mic cord around Jay-Z's pansy/phoney style.

Stillmatic has more strong songs to stand on than God's Son does.

I remember reading (and I think it was on this site) albums use to or should be that any song on it could be the single. Nas's Illmatic, without a doubt is a CLASSIC. Every song could've been a single. Hasn't been the same since. Don't expect it to be. Just to be the best MC he possibly can. From the way it looks, I think he captured some of that back. And brought in some new ones.

"God's Son" is a better album than "Stillmatic", I actually rank that album up there with "Illmatic" as another definite classic, his other albums may not be considered classic, but arguably they're better than most mc's classic albums. And as far as sounding bling-blingy, what about FP doing songs like "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" and "Miami"? People might put FP in the same category as P.Diddy and Nelly if they didn't hear the whole "Big Willie Style" album, it's the same thing with the "Nastradamous" album, not every song on that album sounds like "You Owe Me" and as far as being egotistical, I think every mc in the game has been egotistical, and that goes all the way back to the early hip-hop songs like "Rapper's Delight" and the early hip-hop battles with Busy Bee vs. Kool Moe Dee, hip-hop is all 'bout battling, being the best/having punchlines and the ones that've been creative for a long time have been considered the best and that's what hip-hop is, Nas is hip-hop like FP, KRS-ONE, and LL are.

So has anyone here heard the album yet? :dunno: I've been too busy lately working to get a chance to buy it! :bang: Hey AJ if you heard the album, I'd appreciate it if you post a review here for it 'cause I respect your knowledge on hip-hop.

Well, I got the album, and it is OFF DA HOOK. Nas will never capture Illmatic again, but that's fine with me. I think Street's Disciple is his next best album to Illmatic.

My favorite track on Disc 1 is "Just A Moment" feat. Quan. The guy's from VA. I can hear that significant sound in him like Petey Pablo. Well, Petey when his 1st album came out. Nas only has one verse tho. Not so much of a down side becuz he let Quan get known. And Quan's the next best thing in Hip Hop that we're gonna hear. They talk about those in jail, those they lost, struggle, etc. I loved how Nas opened his wit

"And can we have another moment of silence.../

For brothers who died from black-on-black violence/"

My favorite track on Disc 2 is "War" feat. Keon Bryce. Nas talks about his early life with his new born daughter, ex-girl, and coming up in the streets. It's a real easy going track. It's almost got an oldies/old school rap feel to it.

"Nazareth Savage" has a prided old school vibe to it during the breaks, and new school in his verses.

"American Way" has his wife Kelis. Great sample used and the lyrics are dope.

"Coon Picnic" (These Are Our Heros) is another great. I read how MTV talked about it. Nas said he might put it on radio if he thinks they can handle it. He gets at a couple. The WB's tv series, Kobe, OJ, etc.

"Rest of My Life" - I liked this vibe. It was kinda something U don't hear too often. Plus it was done well.

"Street's Disciple" - it features his father Olu Dara. He brings an oldy chorus. Nas basically speaks how growing up in QB was for him.

"U.B.R." (Unauthorized Biography of Rakim) - the beat is real cool. As far as the history of Rakim, he covered it fairly well. He throws mentions of Run DMC, EPMC, Kurtis Blow. And he ends it with saying "Next book, KRS-One."

"Virgo" feat. Ludacris & Doug E. Fresh - this track is actually pretty nice. Ludacris does pretty good on this one. A great Beat Box Rock song. I bet that other rappers will make 'astrology' songs. Of course remember Outkast did it by mixing the two.

"Remember The Times" - this one is real cool. Nas takes it back to his 'playa playa'. Nice slow joint.

"The Makings of A Perfect B****" - I actually liked this one. He goes into great definition wit this song.

"No One Else In The Room" feat. Maxwell - I really liked this one. This is a good dance track.

"Me & You" (Dedicated To Destiny) - Nas did his own. He kinda sings thru this one.

Like I said, for what Nas is, this is his 2nd best, if U can even compare the two (Street's Disciple and Illmatic). It's hard for me to pick which disc I like better. I just simply can't. The bonus tracks "You Know My Style" and "Thief's Theme" are cool as well. Both take U back. "..Style" does it beat wise wit a sample from Run DMC "Jam MAster Jay". Thief's does it in a lyrical sense.

Street's Disciple has a lot of samples. If U really love em, U should check out the original songs. The case is kinda different from the usual 2 Disc sets. U'll also get a poster. One side is the album cover. I know some said they didn't care for it. But I understand it. All those guys R actually Nas. I guess in different phases of his career. The poster shows it better. The other side is gray-scaled. He's up against a graffiti wall wit his arms spread like a skeleton diagram. I liked that one better than the album cover.

Don't get me wrong, every track is cool. But I'm a natural fan of Nas. I can see him being the one after LL to last with success. If U wanna preview the album before U buy, go ahead and do it, but I bet U'll end up getting it after U hear em.

Edited by mfuqua23

Thanks for the review FUQ! :thumb: There's no doubt about me picking it up, on a further note, I'm surprised that this album debuted in the top 10 on the Billboard Charts considering that the dope singles "Bridging The Gap" or "Thief's Theme" got no airplay, usually u need to have singles in heavy rotation to go platinum.

Edited by bigted