JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jin wants to be like Will

Hero1

• Admin

Rapper Jin: Headlines Over Shooting ’Frustrating’

Saturday, November 20, 2004 By Alona Wartofsky Special to The Washington Post

NEW YORK — Last November, rapper Jin was with friends at Yello, a Chinatown nightclub, when an argument broke out. One of Jin’s close friends, rapper Christopher “L.S.” Louie, was shot in the back. Police have named a suspect in the shooting — reportedly an aspiring rapper — but no arrests have been made.

While Jin was lucky to escape without injury, he says the headlines were “frustrating.”

“Asian rap war leads to shoot- ing in Chinatown,” he intones. “Sounds like a good story, right? And that’s exactly why they called it that. ... But the only accurate thing about all of that is probably Asian, that’s it. Gang wars? No. Rap wars? No. It had nothing to do with any of that. ... The magazines, newspaper ... they were exploiting it.”

He adds: “These guys that were there that were involved in the shooting, I didn’t know them ... All their motive was, like, ’Yo, that’s Jin and I don’t like him, so I’m gonna try to threaten him, I’m gonna pull a gun at him, I’m gonna try to rob him.’ ”

“But of course if (the media) just wrote it like that, it wouldn’t be exciting,” he says.

For rappers, those kinds of headlines can boost album sales. Several of Jin’s fellow Ruff Ryders have enjoyed the notoriety that accompanies repeated run-ins with the law, but he insists thugging isn’t really his style.

“That’s not the type of mystique I want,” he says. Jin, who made his big-screen debut as an auto mechanic in the street-racing movie ”2 Fast 2 Furious,” hopes to emulate a different kind of hip-hop icon. “I wanna be like Will Smith,” he says. “Just an overall, well-respected entrepreneur. He’s a family man, you know what I’m sayin’?”

this is funny cos i was just listening to jin!  :dj:

I don't even know him, does he got a official site or something? If so, can u gimme the link? :what: THX!

i heard his song 'learn chinese' on a wallmart Cd they sent out.

here is his official website:

Jin Official Website

here's his soundclick page:

Jin

happy listening!

:dj:

• Admin

kwame produced jin's latest single... jin won a freestyle comp didnt he? and was signed to ruff ryders.. i think he was saying in learn chinese he was the first asian rapper..but dont forget about the mountain brothers..their first album was dope..paperchase..galaxies :rock:

There's alot more rappers that wanna be like FP...but they'll never admit it. What they don't know is that if u aren't a postive person, u'll never be respected by others. If your music is phoney garbage with no real lyrics, Hip-Hop heads will never respect them and their commerical fame will die away with the quickness. Another thing, u can't start a REAL career in acting unless u have skills. Since most artists are phoney and don't care about music and culture, they'll fail.

I saw the "Learn Chinese" video before, it's pretty funny, I think Wyclef produced the track. I think that his album dropped last month. Did anyone here listen to the Jin album yet? There's so many albums out now it's hard to keep up with them all! The one thing that bugs me out though is that mostly every mc tries to act, make clothes, or play ball on the side, why can't rappers take up other professions like lawyers, doctors, technicians, or professors, there's other things to have success in besides the entertainment buisiness, they don't realise that though, but when the fame in the entertainment goes, they have nothing to rely on, so they end up going poor.

The one thing that bugs me out though is that mostly every mc tries to act, make clothes, or play ball on the side, why can't rappers take up other professions like lawyers, doctors, technicians, or professors, there's other things to have success in besides the entertainment buisiness, they don't realise that though, but when the fame in the entertainment goes, they have nothing to rely on, so they end up going poor.

you're right, i've never seen a rapper-doctor, professor or lawyer... tho im hopping to become one. :thumb:

this is funny cos i was just listening to jin!  :dj:

I don't even know him, does he got a official site or something? If so, can u gimme the link? :what: THX!

i heard his song 'learn chinese' on a wallmart Cd they sent out.

here is his official website:

Jin Official Website

here's his soundclick page:

Jin

happy listening!

:dj:

THX 4 link!!! :thumb: