JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

November's Hip-Hop History Month

bigted

I read this article a couple years ago at ZuluNation.com but I'm gonna post it here for y'all to see:

HIP HOP HISTORY MONTH

The Universal Zulu Nation calls on the World to recognize the whole month of November as HIP HOP HISTORY MONTH!

The official birthday of the Universal Zulu Nation is November 12, 1973.

The official birthday of Hip Hop is November 12th, 1974.

With consideration to the above mentioned dates, nothing makes more sense than to celebrate Hip Hop culture and it's history during November, which is exactly what the Universal Zulu Nation has been doing for over 27 + years. November is also significant in the fact that it kicks off the "indoor jam season". The Hip Hop community jams, enjoyed outdoors in the parks, throughout the Summer, had to move indoors for about 7 months to community centers, gymnasiums, schools etc. for the Fall and Winter seasons. The Hip Hop World should recognize this month and pay tribute to those who laid the foundation and paved the way as well as to those who continue to preserve the rich tradition of the culture.

Of course, The Zulu Nation appreciates all efforts to preserve the whole of Hip Hop culture, including any days or weeks set aside to conscientiously appreciate Hip Hop, but would rather that all of these days and weeks combine to celebrate in unity every November as the tradition has been since the beginning of this culture. Founded by the godfather of Hip Hop himself, Afrika Bambaataa, The Universal Zulu Nation is the world's oldest, largest and most respected grass roots Hip Hop organization. It's members and supporters are Hip Hop's most famous and legendary artists. True school enthusiasts travel from all around the world to be in New York City, in November, for the annual Zulu Hip Hop Anniversary, the only true Hip Hop Anniversary since the beginning. The Anniversary hosts a positive Hip Hop community coming together from all walks of life to celebrate the true essence and excitement of what Hip Hop was meant to be. Many artists who have donated their performances to help raise funds at Zulu Hip Hop Anniversaries have gone on to become legends and many of these legends continue to return to NYC, in November, to give back to the core community who supported them since their careers began.

A Little Background Information: In the early years of the culture, the movement went untitled until Afrika Bambaataa, started calling it "Hip Hop", a term originated by Lovebug Starski. In the 70's, ten years prior to it's gaining global recognition, Hip Hop was a celebration of life gradually developing each of it's elements to form a cultural movement. Due to it's energy, dynamics, and momentum, Hip Hop culture has become, ultimately, a key to upliftment and reformation, as well as a billion-dollar industry.

From the 80's on, the Rap industry and media have helped to make the terms "Hip Hop" and "Rap" synonymous, leaving out the other elements included in the culture. In light of this enormous oversight, the Zulu Nation promotes the "5th element" of Hip Hop, which is KNOWLEDGE, and actively tries to educate the masses about the history and foundational elements of true Hip Hop culture. Bambaataa declared: "When we made Hip Hop, we made it hoping it would be about peace, love, unity and having fun so that people could get away from the negativity that was plaguing our streets (gang violence, drug abuse, self hate, violence among those of African and Latino descent). Even though this negativity still happens here and there, as the culture progresses, we play a big role in conflict resolution and enforcing positivity."

Hip Hop is the Vehicle to Deliver Innumerable Lessons! Afrika Bambaataa doesn't believe that Hip Hop heads should just have knowledge of Hip Hop. He promotes and proves that Hip Hop can be used as a vehicle for teaching awareness, knowledge, wisdom, understanding, freedom, justice, equality, peace, unity, love, respect, responsibility and recreation, overcoming challenges, economics, mathematics. science, life, truth, facts and faith.

The Elements: Hip Hop culture is defined as a movement which is expressed through various artistic mediums which we call "elements". The main elements are known as MC'ing (Rapping), DJ'ing, WRITING (Aerosol Art), SEVERAL DANCE FORMS (which include Breaking, Up-Rocking, Popping, and Locking) and the element which holds the rest together: KNOWLEDGE. There are also other elements such as Vocal Percussion/Beat Boxing, Fashion, etc. Within the past 20 years, Hip-Hop culture has greatly influenced the entertainment world with its creative contributions in music, dance, art, poetry, and fashion.

Due to their lack of knowledge about the whole of Hip Hop culture, many of our world's youth are mistaken in thinking that activities such as: smoking blunts, drinking 40's, wearing a designer label plastered across their chest, carrying a gun, or going to strip clubs, are "Hip Hop". Hip Hop is being portrayed negatively by many artists who work in the element of Rap (emceeing), and this negativity is usually instigated and promoted by the record industry and various other corporations who exploit the culture at the expense of the youth's state of mind and morality. The Universal Zulu Nation believes there is a difference in speaking out about negativity (activism) and promoting it as a desirable lifestyle. Gangsters, pimps, playas, hustlers, niggers, spics, and many other derogatory words once used against us are now self employed in our everyday vocabulary. Our ancestors who have fought and died trying to free us from these sicknesses and slave mentality are probably turning over in their graves! Bambaataa asks you to just think about this, "How in the hell did we turn from GODS to dogs?"

Afrika Bambaataa encourages you to do more research about our story, his/her-story, and what you think is your mystery is actually your history. Where are our Hip Hop thinkers, lawyers, holistic doctors, scientists, agriculturalists/herbalists, revolutionaries, politicians, judges, researchers, teachers, police, army, accountants, anthropologists, etc. Where is our own Hip Hop Museum? Many talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Many straight out sell-out to the liberation of our people as well as to all humans on the planet so called Earth! He also encourages you to do research on any Hip Hop organization that deals with consciousness and the upliftment of all people. To all those who purposely make up your own history and lie about the culture- DO YOUR RESEARCH!

It's good that there is a hip-hop history month cause I'm old school (excample I'm the only person in my school that knows who busy bee and double trouble are and I could care less about a new chingy album) anyway its good to see that because rap has been sold out for years now.

Edited by sonic1988

• Admin

someone should do a documentary on the evolution of rhyme styles from the beginning to today!! people really need to know their history :werd: as wills daddy used to say "you never know where your going until you know where you been!" :werd:

Hip-hop is such an amazing genre of music, the problem is that a lot of 2day's mcs don't respect their history, they only watch MTV and don't take the time to read books about the history or buy CD's that ain't on the charts but are miles ahead of what's out on the charts! :bang:

chingys album is tight dont front

How does Chingy represent the essence of hip-hop? If you knew the hip-hop history you'd know that Chingy ain't original, you're frontin' to say that he's dope 'cause he's garbage doing those kiddy raps, a 10-year old can beat him in a battle! :lolsign:

Guest lambertj3

How does Chingy represent the essence of hip-hop? If you knew the hip-hop history you'd know that Chingy ain't original, you're frontin' to say that he's dope 'cause he's garbage doing those kiddy raps, a 10-year old can beat him in a battle! 

actually u are frontin if you think evryone thinks like u , not to argue but as i told u many times that is your opinioin and i have mine , and he ain't original, lol u r kidding right ,those aren't kiddy raps you can't take evrything so serious all the time ,but i grow tired of theses arguments because neither u or me is gonna change each others mind so don't say i am fronton if my opinion differs from yours

Chingy's only rapping about money, hoes, and weed like every other rapper and his rhymes are so simple and predictable to figure out, he ain't creative, he's garbage in my mind, sorry that's my opinion, and not many people do think like me 'cause they go out and buy this garbage and my favorite mcs ain't dominating the charts like this garbage is but I could care less 'cause I like what I like and they like what they like. BTW, I read this article in the November 2004 issue of Vibe about Nelly who said that he did a BET uncut video with strippers to get streetcred! :nhawong: It's blind to say that hip-hop is as original now as it was when it started 'cause you could see everyone biting off of each other now, anyone can make an album about material things, but how many mcs can make a CD about something that really matters to them and the peeps the most? :dunno: not many! :werd:

I'm not black and i'm not living in the USA. So this is not my culture and history, but every normal guy will know that it isn't right to glamorize such stupid things. The most rappers are taking it too easy. For me HipHop was/is the only music I can listen to, to express myself. It reflexes my opinions, not at all, cause i mean tupacs music doesn't reflect me, cause hes mostly rapping about the black people in the ghetto. I don't know how it is to live in a ghetto and maybe to live in permanent danger, but i can't imagine that all the black peoplein the ghetto want to kill them each other, have sex and take drugs to have fun.

There are also other places in the world where people are living under such conditions like the black people in the US.

Its all a media thing, and the young rappers don't care about the truth. I don't want to say anything more, cause i dont want to say something untrue about black people in the US society. I don't know much about it.

JJFP rocks the house

Alot of mcs that're rappin' about material things won't last that long in the game 'cause there's gonna be a time where the fans'll mature and realise that this music is garbage and they won't buy it anymore, either that or they won't survive if they take the music too serious, more rappers have to realise that if they keep on disrespecting themselves in their songs by sounding ignorant, nobody's gonna respect them when times get hard for them, their fame can't last forever when it's tainted! :werd:

Materialistic lyrics are trash. WAKE UP!! Talking about diamonds is not keeping it real...diamonds have nothing 2 do with life. Music about jewerly is disposable...it's flash-in-the-pan crap. Jay, Nelly, and 50 can bling out all they want, but if they think that the cloths they wear and the diamonds they own are something that millions wanna hear about song after song and that it's meaningful 2 anyone, they are fooling themselves. When FP dose a song like "Holla Back" it's cool cuz it's funny and it's something most of us guys can relate 2. When Jay-Z talks about furcoats and stupid stuff like that, i'm not gonna wanna waste any braincells on stupid stuff like that.

Hip-Hop is not about diamonds...when people celebrate Hip-Hop, they aren't celebrating G-Unit or Cash Money...they are celebrating a lifestyle and experiences that people from Fresh Prince to 2Pac to Scarface to LL Cool J are puttin' in their music.