JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

NWA Greatest Hits Insert on JJFP!

DefCEM

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got respect for NWA, they have the right to have their own opinions, and just 'cause they diss JJFP doesn't mean that I have to hate them, I'm an LL Cool J fan but I don't hate Cannibus or Wyclef just 'cause they dissed him, that's stupid to do that! :nhawong: To say f*** them n****z is so damn foul in my opinion!

Yeah, MC Hammer and NWA were cool. Eminem disses whoever. We know he dose it strictly 4 the attention. Besides, MC Hammer and Dr. Dre probably havn't talked in years.

Wyclef and LL's beef never really existed. One of them did an interview in 2000ish where they said problems between them never really existed but that they did those trax anyway. It waz reported that LL waz actually somehow involved in Canibus' contract and waz making money off the few copies of his album that sold. I forget what the article said, it waz years ago. But it kinda sounded like LL and Wyclef were playing Canibus 2gether.

I some of NWA's stuff...but i don't consider them as musically creative as Digital Underground, lyrically creative as Slick Rick, De La Soul, or as classic as JJ+FP.

NWA laughing at "parents just dont understand"? well JJFP was laughing back when they won the Grammy for it and went on to sell like 10 million records. haha

JJFP didnt want to talk about real life, they didnt want to preach to their fans how they should live life as young blacks. I think JJFP and other "soft" groups are better for urban kids then having them listen to NWA and NWA telling them to carry a pistol and make life seem like its harder then it really is.

• Members

NWA laughing at "parents just dont understand"? well JJFP was laughing back when they won the Grammy for it and went on to sell like 10 million records. haha

JJFP didnt want to talk about real life, they didnt want to preach to their fans how they should live life as young blacks. I think JJFP and other "soft" groups are better for urban kids then having them listen to NWA and NWA telling them to carry a pistol and make life seem like its harder then it really is.

"make life seem harder than it really is"?? Where do u live the suburbs? Out here in Cali, there are more than enough ghettos, and NWA is one of the groups that depicted how life really is out there. Try going to Compton, Watts, rap records make it less disasterous than reality. U may not approve of gangsta rap, but alot of their voices need to be heard to. if u wonder why poor blacks say **** the police, it's because of the constant racial profiling. Sometimes u need to appreciate gangsta rap for what it is, It's a voice for the people who don't have one in society.

"make life seem harder than it really is"?? Where do u live the suburbs? Out here in Cali, there are more than enough ghettos, and NWA is one of the groups that depicted how life really is out there. Try going to Compton, Watts, rap records make it less disasterous than reality. U may not approve of gangsta rap, but alot of their voices need to be heard to. if u wonder why poor blacks say **** the police, it's because of the constant racial profiling. Sometimes u need to appreciate gangsta rap for what it is, It's a voice for the people who don't have one in society.

:werd: Hey now there ain't nothin' wrong with black kids listening to NWA, they rap reality in their rhymes like Public Enemy does, life is hard in the ghetto, you wouldn't know unless you live in the ghetto, people don't gangs for the hell of it, they go in it to find a way to survive when there ain't no job in their 'hood, people in the suburbs find it hard to believe that this stuff exists and they say "oh why does there have to be gangster rap? nobody lives like that!" :nhawong: since they're ignorant to life in the ghetto, that's why they were so shocked over 9*11, it was a horrible thing but there's tragedy in the 'hoods everyday. :ditto:

• Admin

nwa ice t ice cube..were all dope back then.. in fact there was so much diversity.. personaly i dont like gangsta rap..i didnt grow up in the hood so i cant relate..but there is something for everyone out there if you are into pop/rap gansta rap/concious rap/party rap/etc etc..all different styles..thats why they had tours with LL Cool J/whodini/epmd/public enemy/jazzy jeff & fresh prince..i dont see that today though..its all pretty much the same..and hardly any of it is creative

and the whole thing about jazzy jeff and fresh prince growing up in "the suburbs" is rubbish..everyone should check out this article i compiled together

http://www.jazzyjefffreshprince.com/jjfp-jjfprealdeal.htm

Jeff: I think there's a big misconception with who Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince are. We faced just as much trauma and tragedy and ups and downs as any urban teen-ager. You see the shootings, the killings. You see the good with the bad. But we just don't choose to talk about it. I mean, we'll sit down and have a conversation that will be just like a Public Enemy record. But we don't choose to do that in our music. I believe that people want to be entertained. You don't go to a show to be preached to.

Will: There are things that have happened in our lives that are no different than any other urban teen-ager. I mean, I've probably seen more people murdered than anybody in the city.

Seriously?

Will: I just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, all the time.

Jeff: In the beginning of Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, it was always ''the suburban rap group." Then I'd come home from a tour, and I'd sit on the corner on top of the mailbox with all my friends. And they're pulling out beer and all the rest of this. And when you grow up like this, you don't push your friends aside, no matter what they do, 'cause this is all I knew growing up.

Will: I made a decision not to sell drugs.

Jeff: Exactly.

Will: I made a decision not to carry a gun. I made a decision not to do drugs and not to fight, you know. It's not that I lived in such a great neighborhood and that stuff wasn't there. No. I'm a better person than those people. I have better parents, maybe, than those people have. It's not geographically where I was located. It's intellectually where I was someplace else.

Jeff: There's nobody in this world that can't tell me that Will and I weren't hip-hop. I mean, from doing the housing projects, doing the shows, me being a well-known DJ in Philly. Will being someone who could free-style. Putting out "Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble" (1989 on Jive) and it blowing up at hip-hop clubs. People were loving it, going crazy.

Girls and Parents Just Don't Understand" were just as popular as "Eric B For President" (Eric B and Rakim) in B-boy hip-hop circles then. In those simple old days we would be doing tours with Public Enemy, Kid 'N' Play, Heavy D and the Boyz and Run DMC it wasn't a big deal. They would come check us and vice versa and we would be digging each other. The funny thing was that the criticism didn't come from our peers, it was definitely a media vibe. You guys aren't hard enough; you guys are from the suburbs. It was like Damn. I grew up in 57th & Ratmer Street, West Philadelphia and I'm from the suburbs (sighs) and I'm looking around and thinking you don't know anything about me. Yet some folks figured that being liked by three million people meant it had to be suburban," rants Jeff in one breath. "It was true to the extent that white kids suddenly dug hip-hop. We created hip-hop crossover. I wanted everyone -- black and white -- to enjoy themselves. I didn't know whether to defend myself [from that suburban' label] or give in."

:werd: JJFP ain't soft, they do songs about reality though, but they do it in a more comedic and fun way, and I respect them for that 'cause you can't be serious all the time. The one thing that makes hip-hop such great music is it's diversity like you said Tim, that's why the game's lacking right now 'cause it's too predictable like most other pop music is now, we need to go back to originality to make hip-hop the best form of music again!

This reminds me of this song "Somebody" by KRS-ONE that I'm listening to right now where he mentions that we should have "diversity in the university":

[KRS-One]

Oh, do it now, oh, do it now

Yeah, we celebrate diversity in the university

Everybody can't be a queen, everybody can't be a ho and a bitch (Ha ha)

Everybody can't b e a philosopher

Some of y'all gotta load up the clip

Word up, watch this

It goes 1, 2, 3 we the best

Knowledge Reigns Supreme, as you can see, or KRS

You don't wanna test the team, why get a vest

You don't wanna be cursed in a verse, by the blessed

KRS with the sound for the eat and the west

Follow no, follow no, follow no, follow no beast on a quest

Somebody gotta be fresh

Somebody gotta be wack

Somebody gotta be the Mc

Somebody gotta do the rap

Somebody gotta be smart

Somebody gotta do that

Somebody gotta do art

Somebody gotta be black

Somebody gotta have heart

Somebody gotta be white

Somebody gotta do their part

Somebody gotta be bright

Somebody gotta be up

somebody gotta be down

Somebody gotta be the teacher

Somebody gotta be the clown

Somebody gotta be lost

Somebody gotta be found

Somebody gotta be in the economy making the money go round

Somebody gotta be the president

Somebody gotta get down

Somebody gotta be hesitant

Somebody gotta be relevant

Somebody gotta be celibate

Somebody gotta be having their sex in a lex for the hell of it

Somebody gotta be intelligent

Somebody gotta be illiterate

Somebody gotta go all the way

Somebody gotta go a little bit

Somebody got to be an idiot

Somebody gotta be belligerent

Somebody gotta be hip hop

Cause somebody else is living it

Somebody gotta be spitting it

Somebody gotta be ignorant

Somebody gotta be holy

But somebody gotta have sin in it

Somebody gotta be losing it

Somebody gotta be winning it

Somebody gotta be flippin' the style I'm kicking just a little bit

Somebody gotta be into it

Somebody gotta be out of it

Somebody gotta be up for it

Somebody gotta be doubtin' it

Somebody gotta be running it

Somebody gotta be all that

Somebody don't even known that

Somebody gotta come right here

Somebody else gotta go back

Somebody gotta be scheming

Somebody gotta be a witness

Somebody gotta be seeing in the meaning is different

Somebody else gotta be somebody, for some else to be somebody

Somebody else to run into to wealth, to try to create one body

One aim, one GOD, one destiny

I'm not non-violent, you can back up off of me

I sip my tea, and cock back three

One for Tiny Tim, Mr.Walt, and Evil Dee

I hope you all see, the need for unity

I'll never stop speaking about Marcus Garvey

Kwame Ture or Malcolm X all day

Black leadership today is all play

Y'all play, y'all immature black behavior

IS worse than being a trader

Do on to others, as you would have done do to your neighbor

Big up to my philosophy majors

Free Mumia Abu-Jamal from the cages

We writes the pages and teach all ages

Justice, tell me what we want now

Justice, for Mumia Abu-Jamal

Or justice for Amado Dialo

Justice, there is no peace without (*Justice*)

All dem mercy, now watch this

I sing, 1,2,3 we the best

Knowledge Reigns Supreme, as you can see, or KRS

You don't wanna test the team, why get a vest

You don't wanna be cursed in a verse, by the blessed

KRS with the new sound for the eat and the west

Follow no, follow no, follow no, follow no, follow no, follow no, follow no

follow no...

this is why jjfp can sell all around the world, bcoz not every1 can relate to what most rappers say. As a white english girl i dont see too many murders.....well i just hear about them, but most ppl that listen to rap have never even set foot in a hood. its no wonder so many ppl think they are gangsters these days, they listen to a couple of rap songs and think they have been thru it all.

JJFP arnt doing music for white kids, they are doing music for all kids and the diversity of their fans is what makes them great.

I agree. Music shouldn't be so heavily labeled. Music should be about life. Hip-Hop music is based on life coming from Hip-Hop culture and expressing yourself.

Here's a wake up call 4 these fools who talk only about sex, drugs, and jewelry...u aren't making Hip-Hop music. If life dosen't get any deeper than that 4 them, i feel very sorry 4 them. JJ+FP is a philly based, straight up Hip-Hop group, but they've managed 2 take over the world. They can do trax that apply strictly 2 them and people who live similar lifestyles, but they can also appeal 2 people all over the world who live completely different lifestyles. I think that's amazing. Not just anybody can do that.

I agree. Music shouldn't be so heavily labeled. Music should be about life. Hip-Hop music is based on life coming from Hip-Hop culture and expressing yourself.

Here's a wake up call 4 these fools who talk only about sex, drugs, and jewelry...u aren't making Hip-Hop music. If life dosen't get any deeper than that 4 them, i feel very sorry 4 them. JJ+FP is a philly based, straight up Hip-Hop group, but they've managed 2 take over the world. They can do trax that apply strictly 2 them and people who live similar lifestyles, but they can also appeal 2 people all over the world who live completely different lifestyles. I think that's amazing. Not just anybody can do that.

:werd:

• Members

Here's a wake up call 4 these fools who talk only about sex, drugs, and jewelry...u aren't making Hip-Hop music. If life dosen't get any deeper than that 4 them, i feel very sorry 4 them.

^^^rappers like... Nick Cannon?!

I agree. Music shouldn't be so heavily labeled.  Music should be about life.  Hip-Hop music is based on life coming from Hip-Hop culture and expressing yourself.

Here's a wake up call 4 these fools who talk only about sex, drugs, and jewelry...u aren't making Hip-Hop music.  If life dosen't get any deeper than that 4 them, i feel very sorry 4 them.

Huh? :eek4: U think Nick Cannon's music is about sex, drugs, and jewerly!?! :nhawong:

• Members

I agree. Music shouldn't be so heavily labeled.  Music should be about life.  Hip-Hop music is based on life coming from Hip-Hop culture and expressing yourself.

Here's a wake up call 4 these fools who talk only about sex, drugs, and jewelry...u aren't making Hip-Hop music.  If life dosen't get any deeper than that 4 them, i feel very sorry 4 them.

Huh? :eek4: U think Nick Cannon's music is about sex, drugs, and jewerly!?! :nhawong:

no, but it's generic, materialistic candy rap (if u call it rap)