JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

TIKTOK HELPS MARIAH CAREY 'WRAP' UP A NEW HIT ON HOT R&B SONGS CHART

I mostly hate the streaming game. It's just a way to further rob artists and prevent new talent from ever hitting sucess on the charts. However, I do like that it makes music assessable to people and how it makes all content current. :sHa_jammin: Anyway, I thought this was cool.  To be honest, I didn't listen to Mariah's 2009 a lot, but I wore out her 2014 album. When this song started finding a new buzz weeks ago, I thought it was from her 2014 album, exclusively. :sFun_doh2: 

https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/mariah-carey-its-a-wrap-hot-rb-songs-chart-tiktok-1235278892/?fbclid=IwAR25XGECdHBTks6epQu845mNx9gGBlQiDZlvxvKKxpPhkYaaaJAjhUwrjNY

TikTok Helps Mariah Carey ‘Wrap’ Up a New Hit on Hot R&B Songs Chart

The singer's 2009 track is a new viral hit and is the latest example of an older song reaching the charts thanks to the social media app.

By Trevor Anderson 

03/2/2023
Mariah Carey
Mariah Carey photographed on Nov. 8, 2019 at Spring Studios in New York.Ruven Afanador

A Mariah Carey track more than a decade old makes its debut on Billboard’s Hot R&B Songs chart, as “It’s a Wrap” arrives at No. 24 on the list dated March 4. The track, first released in 2009, earns its debut after the song became the latest viral hit on TikTok, leading to increased streams and sales. (Activity directly on the TikTok platform does not currently count toward the Billboard charts.) 

“Wrap” earned 3.6 million official U.S. streams in the week ending Feb. 23, according to Luminate, a 4% jump from the week prior. The tune also sold 1,000 downloads in the same period, though a 60% drop from the week before. One week ago, the cut entered the R&B/Hip-Hop Digital Song Sales chart at No. 22.

With “Wrap,” Carey achieves her 12th visit to the Hot R&B Songs chart, which launched in 2012, well into the superstar’s recording career. On the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, which encompasses Carey’s entire career, she claims 60 appearances since her 1990 debut, including 10 No. 1 hits.

“Wrap” first appeared on Carey’s 2009 album, Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel, and surfaced again in a remix form with Mary J. Blige on the deluxe edition of Carey’s 2014 set, Me…I Am Mariah: The Elusive Chanteuse, though it was never released as a single. The song generated attention earlier this year on TikTok, particularly through a sped-up version, that became a common soundtrack on many users’ posts on the social media app. Carey herself has joined the trend, posting a clip of herself and Kim Kardashian, and their daughters, North and Monroe, lip-syncing to the track.

Carey’s newest success is the latest example of an older song finding a new audience and streaming gains thanks to TikTok. It has plenty of company on the Hot R&B Songs chart: The Weeknd’s 2016 track “Die for You” sits at No. 3 on the current ranking, Chris Brown’s 2019 track “Under the Influence,” ranks at No. 5, after peaking at No. 2 last November, and Miguel’s “Sure Thing,” a 2011 release is at No. 6. Due to the viral streaming support and fan engagement, “Die for You” and “Sure Thing” were re-promoted to radio stations as official singles, while “Influence” was sent out for the first time. Plus, Justine Skye’s 2014 single “Collide,” featuring Ty Dolla $ign, in its own revival on the app, debuted at No. 25 two weeks ago on Hot R&B Songs thanks to its social traction.

The wealth extends to other genres too. Songs outside the R&B realm also enjoying a TikTok-fueled rise include Lady Gaga’s 2011 pop cut “Bloody Mary,” at No. 47 on this week’s all-genre Billboard Hot 100 chart and rock band Arctic Monkeys’ “505” from their 2007 album, Favourite Worst Nightmare, which climbs one spot to No. 14 on the Hot Rock & Alternative Songs chart after having reached a No. 12 best last month.