JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

ICE-T SAYS HIP-HOP GOT GOOFY IN THE MID-2000'S

JumpinJack AJ

“Hip-hop changed. The music got goofy to me. The kids started looking weird. It all turned into something I wasn’t comfortable with,” he explained. “There was a point where I was selling tons of records, then it cooled off. I felt a certain way.
Body Count Ice T performing live with Body Count in 2019. CREDIT: Gina Wetzler/Redferns

“Then I realised Public Enemy, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane and Wu-Tang Clan weren’t selling records, either. There was a paradigm shift. These kids got softer, and soft is not something I’m able to give audiences. The first word in hip-hop is “hip” so how something stays hip for over 10 years is difficult. … Besides, I still do my ‘Ice-T: Art of Rap’ shows, which is my legacy hip-hop. Think of it like seeing Frank Sinatra. You want to hear the classics.”

Ice-T also discussed recently getting a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame. Asked how he’d have reacted if someone had told him he would get one, he responded: “I would have told you that was impossible.”

“When I started making records, I didn’t come into the music business thinking I would be a star,” he continued. “I was just seeing if I could get a fan base. I didn’t want to be the best rapper. I just wanted to be mentioned among the greats: LL Cool J, Run-DMC. Getting any ‘star’ was way out of reach.”

Ice-T confirmed earlier this week that Body Count had started working on a new album titled ‘Merciless’.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/ice-t-reflects-on-mid-2000s-paradigm-shift-in-hip-hop-music-goofy-3404579?fbclid=IwAR23vW7NiRFKHiVFmfRc6Ee-NTvhDdLno8sserSij9BkwdDeKyYYdhHUuV8