JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

DAVE/TRUGOY OF DE LA SOUL PASSES AWAY

JumpinJack AJ

DAVE, AKA TRUGOY THE DOVE, DEAD AT 54

• EXCLUSIVE DETAILS
  •  

2/12/2023 3:05 PM PT

David Jolicoeur -- also known as Dave and Trugoy the Dove, who was one of the three founding members of De La Soul -- has died.

Sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ the rapper passed away Sunday at a hospital in Maryland. No other details, including a potential cause, have been released ... but we're told his death appears to be from natural causes, and that he was battling an undisclosed illness.

De La Soul's official social accounts have yet to say anything about Dave -- ditto for the other two members and their own pages ... Kelvin Mercer (Posdnuos) and Vincent Mason (Maseo).

Dave was with DLS since the beginning, getting together in '87 and going on to crank out some of the most famous rap songs of all time. The group went on an incredible three-album run through the '90s -- with two of those being

being certified platinum and gold, respectively.

Some of their best-known tracks include ... "Me, Myself and I," "Eye Know," "The Magic Number," "Stakes Is High," "Ring Ring Ring," "Say No Go," "Breakadawn," "Oooh," "Buddy," "All Good," "Ghetto Thang," "I Am I Be," "Ego Trippin (Part 2)" and countless others.

De La Soul was unique in that they emerged in one decade, but seamlessly transitioned into another ... all while adapting their style and production to keep up with the times.

Three of their songs have been nominated for Grammys over the years, with one of those -- a smash hit collab with the Gorillaz in "Feel Good Inc." -- actually winning Best Pop Collaboration in 2006.

Their music has been hard to listen to in recent years ... for one reason or another, nobody has been able to stream their stuff on major platforms, but a deal was recently inked that'll finally allow their classic tunes to be played en masse starting next month.

De La Soul’s Maseo Breaks Silence Following Trugoy The Dove’s Death
MATTHEW EISMAN/GETTY IMAGES

DE LA SOUL’S MASEO BREAKS SILENCE FOLLOWING TRUGOY THE DOVE’S DEATH

Published on: Feb 21, 2023, 3:09 AM PST

De La Soul’s Maseo has broken his silence following the death of Trugoy The Dove.

Maseo, a.k.a. Plug Three, took to Instagram on Monday (February 20) to mourn the tragic passing of his long-time groupmate, who died aged 54 on February 12.

The rapper, producer and DJ took a trip down memory lane as he shared a throwback photo of De La Soul signing their first deal with Tommy Boy Records back in the late 1980s.

Producer Prince Paul, who produced the trio’s lauded first three albums, and Tommy Boy founder Tom Silverman and label president Monica Lynch can also be seen in the picture.

“This is the day we signed our contract with Tommy Boy… Much Love And Respect To Monica Lynch,” Maseo wrote in his caption.

“SUPER CLASSIC HISTORY,” DJ Premier wrote in the comments section, while A-Trak reacted with: “Wowww.” Busta Rhymes and Diamond D also offered their support and condolences.

Maseo followed up with another post, this one a close-up of a black medallion commemorating De La Soul’s seminal 1989 debut album 3 Feet High and Rising.

“Since 1988,” he wrote in the caption, celebrating his, Trugoy and Posdnuos’ 35-year run in the rap game.

“i wore mine around the bx back then,” Diamond D chimed in in the comments section, while J. Period quoted a line from De La’s song “Buddy” by writing: “BLACK MEDALLIONS. NO GOLD.”

While Posdnuos has yet to address Trugoy The Dove’s death — the cause of which remains unknown — countless Hip Hop figures have paid tribute to the beloved De La Soul lyricist, many of whom were influenced by the trailblazing trio.

“Trugoy The Dove[.] You showed us it’s ok to have fun not sad or too too deep or fight the power tho it was very much fight the power what u did so genuis,” Nas wrote on Instagram. “The group made me wish I was them. Thank You.”

“Trugoy Dave from De La Soul has gone up to be with the day of the stars with the Master,” Pharrell tweeted. “Sending love, light and positive vibrations to his family, The Soul and everyone whose lives have been touched by his existence. Oodles and Oodles and Oodles of O’s.”

Busta Rhymes shared his “disbelief” and “hurt” on his Instagram page, while Common reflected on how De La “changed” his life and his friendship with Trugoy, who he knew simply as Dave.

“The truth is he has been one of the greatest influences and inspirations in my life,” the Chicago MC penned in a heartfelt Instagram post. “I will miss you brother. You are loved beyond words and I am praying for all your family which is our family.”

Elsewhere, tributes flooded in from Prince Paul, Queen Latifah, LL COOL J, Fat Joe, Chuck D, Questlove, Black Thought, Redman, Bun B, Rapsody and many more.

Trugoy’s untimely death came just weeks before the March 3 release of De La Soul’s back catalog on streaming services, which will see critically acclaimed releases like 3 Feet High and Rising, Buhloone Mindstate and Stakes is High become available on Spotify et al. for the first time.

The group announced the news in January, revealing they had partnered with Reservoir Media and Chrysalis Records to distribute their first six albums digitally after resolving long-standing sample clearance issues and a legal dispute with their former label, Tommy Boy.

“We can’t believe this day is finally here, and we are excited to be able to share our music with fans, old and new,” De La said in a statement. “Golnar [Khosrowshahi], Rell [Lafargue], Faith [Newman] and the Reservoir team have been great partners in this entire process. We’re grateful that our relationship with them all has enabled this to happen.”

https://hiphopdx.com/news/de-la-soul-maseo-trugoy-the-dove-death-reaction