JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL COOL J PLANS TO RELEASE NEW ALBUM THIS YEAR

JumpinJack AJ

LL Cool J plans to release new album this year: “Wait 'til you hear this MF"

Don’t call it a comeback, but LL Cool J said he’s dropping a new album this year. It will be his first project in a decade.

/  01.16.2023

Don’t call it a comeback, but LL Cool J is planning to drop a new album this year. The hip hop pioneer took to Twitter for the announcement on Saturday (Jan. 14).

“I’m competing with myself on this new album,” he wrote. “Wait ’til you hear this MF. This year, B. It’s coming,” the legend continued. LL, whose last album Authentic came 10 years ago, arrived on the music scene with Def Jam and Columbia Records in the mid-’80s. His first project Radio was released in 1985 and featured 13 tracks, including three iconic singles, “I Can’t Live Without My Radio,” “Rock The Bells” and “You’ll Rock.”

He then dropped Bigger & Deffer in 1987, which peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 and No. 1 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop albums chart. Three years later, he released Mama Said Knock You Out, which peaked at No. 16 on the Billboard 200 and spent 76 weeks on the charts

The Queens native’s music career has been quite historic. Of his 13 studio albums, the first 10 went Platinum, making him the first rapper to do so. He also became a two-time Grammy Award-winning recording artist, as well as an actor, author, entrepreneur and philanthropist. In 2017, the emcee even received a Kennedy Center Honor, and four years later, was inducted into the 2021 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Along with dropping albums, LL has proved to be an outstanding actor. The entertainer, whose real name is James Todd Smith, landed blockbuster roles in films such as Charlie’s Angels, Deep Blue Sea, Any Given Sunday, Last Holiday and Halloween: H2O. He’s also graced the small screen on shows like his former hit series “In The House” and the crime-fighting drama “NCIS: Los Angeles.”

Speaking of acting, the rap legend recently asked if he should do a movie based on his life. On Jan. 12, he tweeted, “Should I do a biopic?” Many fans responded, “Yes,” and one actor revealed he would love to star in the role if the chance presented itself. REVOLT reported on Jan. 14 that Mack Wilds was interested in playing the “Luv U Better” hitmaker in an autobiography film. 

https://www.revolt.tv/article/2023-01-16/267196/ll-cool-j-plans-to-release-new-album-this-year/?fbclid=IwAR1Dez4cwEqo_YHS2HrHhXWlL70Rn8H2iz9fGyr0qtgliy5eigoOtEkw4Ho

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is so corny, so LL...and I love it. I previously saw the headlines that he was scrapping the album and got really disappointed. 

LL Cool J Trolls Fans By Claiming He Won’t Drop Album With Q-Tip

LL Cool J
Q-Tip executive produced LL Cool J’s next album, which will be the Hip-Hop legend’s first release since 2013.

LL Cool J played a trick on his social media followers.

The Hip-Hop legend made fans think he scrapped his comeback album on Wednesday morning (February 22). LL Cool J posted a series of since-deleted tweets saying he won’t drop the project, which was executive produced by Q-Tip.

“I’m really trying to figure this album out,” he wrote. “SMH. Just not feeling like this album is worthy of being released. I tried.”

He added, “Not dropping it.”

LL Cool J continued to troll fans on Wednesday afternoon. He posted a video on Instagram with the following caption: “Explanation behind my choice to not release my album.”

The clip revealed it was all a ruse to hype his upcoming collaboration with Q-Tip.

“I was considering not putting the record out because it’s too f###### good!” he said with a laugh. “Q-Tip, you a genius, baby. Yo, this my favorite album I’ve ever made. I can’t wait for y’all to hear this. Date, tracklisting, coming soon.”

LL Cool J hasn’t released an album since 2013’s Authentic. Since then, he’s continued his acting career as one of the stars of the CBS series NCIS: Los Angeles. He also launched his Rock The Bells platform, which ran its first festival in 2022.

https://allhiphop.com/news/ll-cool-j-trolls-fans-by-claiming-he-wont-drop-album-with-q-tip/

• 2 months later...

I say something is off.  Dr. Dre is dope, but he's also overrated. It just doesn't make sense to do 30-40 songs together, then scrap 1-3 albums worth of work.  There's more to this story.  I'm much more excited about him working with Q-Tip.

https://www.vibe.com/music/music-news/ll-cool-j-dr-dre-upcoming-album-qtip-1234760828/?fbclid=IwAR0EC-veT9qfVJNtP5K-jc-8t4v8dMby4H5Sd1VY0L_YJgtG3TJ6pHroc6g

LL Cool J Reveals Dr. Dre Was The Original Producer For Upcoming Album Before Q-Tip

A dream involving the late Phife Dawg encouraged him to work with Tip.

BY ARMON SADLER

MAY 30, 2023 3:06PM 

Dr. Dre at 'Creed III' premiere, wearing a Black hooded sweatshirt.; LL Cool J at Hollywood Walk Of Fame, wearing a Black jacket, white t-shirt, Black beanie hat, and shades.; Q-Tip at Flipper's Rollie Boogie Palace, wearing a Black hooded sweatshirt and glasses.
Dr. Dre, LL Cool J, and Q-Tip. Momodu Mansaray/Getty Images; Tommaso Boddi/Getty Images; Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images

LL Cool J is preparing for his upcoming album and recently revealed a major shift in his creative process. The 55-year-old said that Dr. Dre was the original producer, before a dream led him to call on Q-Tip.

The Queens, N.Y. rapper appeared on the May 22 episode of Way Up With Angela Yee and shared details on his extensive work with the Compton artist. “So, the real story is that I did about 30 to 40 songs with Dr. Dre, and in doing those songs, I felt like the music was amazing,” LL said. “What Dre was bringing to the table was super dope — but I felt like the writing, what I was bringing to these songs didn’t feel strong enough to me.”

He went on to discuss a dream where he was visited by the late Phife Dawg, which inspired him to collaborate with The Abstract. “I ended up having a dream, and in this dream, Phife Dawg from A Tribe Called Quest came to me,” the NCIS actor said. “When he came in my dream, he was like, ‘Yo, that album you gonna do with Dre is gonna be dope.’ And I’m looking at him and he’s smirking a little bit. He had a funny look on his face.”

Evidently, connecting with one member of A Tribe Called Quest led to another one being on his mind. “And then when I woke up, I just felt like Q-Tip was on my spirit,” LL Cool J said, continuing his story. “So I just called him. He picked up and I told him that I wanted to do an album. We went and did the record and the rest is history.”

History has been on LL Cool J’s mind since early in 2023, as he took the stage at the GRAMMYs in February as part of the tribute performance for Hip-Hop’s 50th anniversary. The “Luv U Better” artist was joined by Black Thought, Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five, Queen Latifah, The LOX, Lil Baby, and several other major acts spanning generations.