JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Why did Will Smith slap Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Hero1

Moving on should be the priority here. Haters are going to always find a reason to hate. It is time to focus on those Who love him. Some new music with the new movie would ve a great start

He handled it well. He was genuine and remorseful.  His charisma and spark was absent, which was probably appropriate. There may be more to say about this, but if he's ready, he should do something to remind people why they love(d) him. 

chris rock

CHRIS ROCK REPORTEDLY IS “FINE” AND “DOESN’T NEED TO TALK” TO WILL SMITH

AUGUST 2, 2022

In his apology video, Will Smith revealed that representatives for Chris Rock said the famed comedian was not ready to speak to him.

In an update, PEOPLE magazine reveals that Rock feels he never needs to speak to Smith about the matter.

“Chris doesn’t need to talk. This is clearly something that bothers Will more than Chris,” a source stated. “Will needs to deal with his issues. Chris is fine.”

A second source added, “The fact that he is making jokes about it already is a good thing. That means he is assessing it. But the stress of the slap and the aftermath has not taken over his life. Quite the opposite.”

On Friday, Will Smith released a video on social media apologizing formally to Chris Rock for the Oscars slap and also answering some pressing questions from fans.

While in Atlanta at The Fox Theatre hours later, Chris Rock didn’t directly mention the video but did make a comparison joke between Will Smith and Suge Knight.

“Everybody is trying to be a ****ing victim,” Rock said, according to PEOPLE. “If everybody claims to be a victim, then nobody will hear the real victims. Even me getting smacked by Suge Smith … I went to work the next day, I got kids.”

He added, “Anyone who says words hurt has never been punched in the face.”

In the video, Smith apologized to Rock and his family members. He would go on to apologize to other winners during the night. Smith also stated he reached out to Chris Rock’s team, who responded, “he’s not ready to talk and when he is, he will reach out.”

https://thesource.com/2022/08/02/chris-rock-reportedly-is-fine-and-doesnt-need-to-talk-to-will-smith/

I'm not sure how to take this.  My thoughts are that Chris Rock has lost all respect for Will, and therefore doesn't think it's worth talking to him, or doesn't care that it would give Will some sort of closure.  It could also be that doing so might put him in a position to discuss the joke he made. 

This whole **** has given him publicity he never had before. If he was man enough he would admit he had malicious intensions and that the joke was not in the script. Him following Will on IG and Will never following him back is very telling. To make a joke like that on a stage like that and on a day like that about the wife of a fellow black actor who is about to make history I mean you better be his best friend and you better tell him about it prior. It wasn't his stand up show it was the Oscars for God's sake. Anyways just my few cents few months later.

I thought it was just a choice. I wasn't thinking it was tied to any movie projects.  I kind of doubt that it's tied to Deadshot.  With DC films being re-worked, possibly wiped clean, I don't think we'll see any more Suicide Squad projects, at least not the same one he was involved in.