JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Why did Will Smith slap Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Hero1

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/dave-chappelle-attack-secret-stand-up-show-1235141753/

“At least you got smacked by someone of repute!” Chappelle joked to Rock. “I got smacked by a homeless guy with leaves in his hair.”

Rock laughed and responded, “I got smacked by the softest n—a that ever rapped.”

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://shadowandact.com/tyler-perry-says-he-wasnt-comforting-will-smith-after-oscars-slap-but-was-rather-de-escalating

Tyler Perry Says He Wasn't 'Comforting' Will Smith After Oscars Slap, But Was Rather 'De-Escalating'
Photo Credit: ROBYN BECK/AFP via Getty Images
Tyler Perry Says He Wasn't 'Comforting' Will Smith After Oscars Slap, But Was Rather 'De-Escalating'
Shadow and Act StaffShadow and Act Staff

June 13, 2022

Tyler Perry opened up about speaking with Will Smith after he slapped Chris Rock at the 2022 Oscars. He was asked about the situation by Gayle King during a Q&A at the Tribeca Festival, as Deadline reports.

“There is a difference between comforting and de-escalating,” Perry said when the slap came up.

King asked if Smith would continue to be the namesake of a soundstage at Tyler Perry Studios.

“My only problem with is this. If I talk about it, then it [will be] overshadowing everything else we talked about. That will be the headline for sure," Smith told King. 

“I was there, close up,” he added. I left early to go and check on Chris because it was wrong in no uncertain terms and I made sure I said that to Will.”

Speak of Smith’s perspective, Perry said the actor “was devastated.”

“He couldn’t believe what happened,” Perry continued. “He couldn’t believe he did it. And I’m looking at this man, in his eyes going, ‘What are you doing? This is your night… And to get all this way to winning an Oscar. It was one of the crowning moments of his career that he wanted so desperately.”

He also said it is a moment of reflection for Smith.

“I think he is very much in reflection of trying to figure out what happened,” he said, also bringing up what he talked about from his childhood in his recent memoir. “I know that feeling…. And if that trauma is not dealt with right away as you get older, it will show up in the most inappropriate and horrible times.”

As he's friends with Smith and Rock, he called the situation "very difficult."

Perry said Rock “was a pure champion the way he handled it,” but that  “something happened that was extremely painful for [Smith] as well. It’s no excuse, he was completely wrong, but something triggered. That was so out of everything he is. I feel very uncomfortable. I don’t feel it is my story to tell.”

Smith resigned from the Academy before they levied a 10-year ban against him.

“I have directly responded to the Academy’s disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct,” his statement read in part. “My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable. The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home.I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken. I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film. So, I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate.  Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason.”

Before this, he also posted a statement on social media.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I think it's appropriate that the BET award was given to him, but that he didn't attend and that it hasn't gotten much attention.  Going back to Jeff's interview, I think he helps put things in perspective. I feel like he's the only one in Will's circle who's really doing the work while Will is laying low. 

• 5 weeks later...

WORD, GOOD FOR HIM, DO YOU WILL, TIME TO MOVE ON FROM THIS BS....

I'm so happy he finally spoke. I was awaiting for this. Yesterday i actually revisited the audio book and played summertime for the first time this year. I'm very glad he posted this. It is time to heal and get back at it.

I’m glad he did this on his own Instagram on his own terms. Apologetic and not acting like a victim. 

He looks hurt but I actually expected him to be worse to be honest. Sounds like he’s trying to heal. 

The internet seem to of mostly taken it well, still the odd person overreacting but hopefully he can move on now and start getting his career back.