JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Why did Will Smith slap Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Hero1

I didn't even watch the Oscars and recently the grammys i haven't watched an award show in years. and then i go twitter and see all kinds of post and memes about what happened and i'm just Damn. what the heck happened? What's going on with Will? I'm definitely in the camp that you aint just going to make a disrespectful joke about a man's wife and he's just going to smile about it slapping Chris on live tv wasn't a good move clearly he could have talked to him of camera or something. but i hate how everything feels against Will now.

Edited by ant1

The event has been covered so much at this point that I think a lot of people are getting sick of it.  I think the media will start to slowly let go until the Red Table Talk or some other related event involving Will or Chris occurs. If you scour YouTube, you'll find much more diverse opinions that place blame here and there.  Jada is taking heat in a lot of it.  That memes are still coming. Occasionally I feel guilty for finding some of them kind of funny.  I was randomly looking at items on ebay and there's quite a few shirts with memes and pictures of the slap on it. I think that once we REALLY hear from Will and Chris, it will truly start to taper off with a sense of closure. 

29 minutes ago, JumpinJack AJ said:

The event has been covered so much at this point that I think a lot of people are getting sick of it.  I think the media will start to slowly let go until the Red Table Talk or some other related event involving Will or Chris occurs. If you scour YouTube, you'll find much more diverse opinions that place blame here and there.  Jada is taking heat in a lot of it.  That memes are still coming. Occasionally I feel guilty for finding some of them kind of funny.  I was randomly looking at items on ebay and there's quite a few shirts with memes and pictures of the slap on it. I think that once we REALLY hear from Will and Chris, it will truly start to taper off with a sense of closure. 

Yup media etc milking this story more than Switch was milked back in 2005...

Honestly, as much as i hate the situation, the memes are pretty funny. 

But yeah, the media need to take it easy now, they are interviewing every celebrity about it to try and get another headline. I'm disappointed in some celebrity takes on it. Amy schumer said it was really upsetting to see Will slap Chris Rock, then ive seen another story saying one of her jokes about the Alec Baldwin shooting accident wasn't allowed. Why does she think a joke about someone getting killed can be ok?

Anyway, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Will made a mistake, we all make mistakes, let it go. 

• Admin

I definitely feel like the huge momentum to cancel Will has really gone overboard and there is starting to be some pushback from the fans. I'm sure Will is gonna come back from this. Just hope he is getting the help he needs.

• Admin

“He feels terrible and is trying not to panic, but seeing his roles put on ice has been a hugely bitter pill to swallow,” a source exclusively tells Us Weekly.

According to the insider, “His biggest fear is that he’s in the process of being fully canceled, and there’s nothing he can really do about it except sit back, suck up his punishment like a man and try to atone however he can.”

source: https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/will-smith-is-worried-about-being-fully-canceled-after-oscars-slap/

I still have people texting me to ask me what happened to Will, like I have a direct line to him and his thoughts just for being a fan. I have also been sent or tagged on every Meme or joke out there about the Slap.

The idea of him being canceled is laughable.  Let's be honest, what artists have truly been canceled. Some of them have taken a hit in their status, but virtually no one has been completely pushed out of the limelight.  The reason this is so big is because Will is one of the biggest entertainers in the world and he fell hard one on of the biggest stages in the world. There are those with an emotional connection to it and those simply trying to ride the coattails of it.  We know Will's character.  Most entertainers are condemning the slap while clarifying that they have no ill will for him because we all know his true character.  

Oh, wow. This is definitely not a polished and presentable moment.  There are a lot of memes, YouTube videos, and articles coming out that are focusing on Jada in the second phase of all this.  I don't want to pin the negativity on her, because none of us know her personally.   The media likes to speak negatively about strong women.  Especially strong, black women.  They jump to conclusions about women who don't try to be "America's sweetheart".  It's worth pointing out that none of those who know her personally are saying bad things about her, at least not that I've seen. 

I remember watching an entertainment show back when Bad Boys first came out.  The media's angle on Will and Jada showing that they were together was taking the angle that she was the "bad girl" that seemed a misfit for him.  Then they turned into a power couple and everyone loved them. It seems like this "redefining" of their relationship is accommodating Jada, where as much of their relationship before this was accommodating Will.  Ultimately everyone should be happy.  If that's them, good.  If it's not and this "redefining" an upgrade for both of them, it's time to take steps where they can be happy and completely themselves. 

I just read an article saying he has been admitted to a rehab center due to the stress of the whole situation.

https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/celebrities/2022/04/06/624db4dbe2704e5ea68b458d.html

Edited by VIsqo