JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Why did Will Smith slap Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Hero1

34 minutes ago, Ale said:

Ohh shooot. But they are still going to go ahead with the disciplinary action. So this may not achieve a thing.

Edited by VIsqo

so this means he ain't doing movies anymore? well he's rich enough to get by, go back and live in philly with dj jazzy jeff and do some more music will

This was definitely the right thing to do. Being a part of the Academy doesn't mean much.  One of my acquaintances is a member of the equivalent for the Grammy's. He's says it's good to be a part of it if you're in the industry, but overall it's not that important. This is the one thing Will could do in his power to show that he knows the wrong that he did.  His words are perfect. He's found his center again, at least to a certain degree.  I'm proud of him for the steps he's taking. 

I'm still trying to process this whole thing. If a week ago someone would of said this has happened, i wouldn't believe it.

I think my main concern is Wills mental health. He's a celebrity so none of us here truly know him. But most of us here have followed him for 20+ years, we've listened to his music which is his soul and read his book which he spoke so much truth. I feel like i know him well enough to know this isn't him. This is Kanye West type ****. Its especially not him to do this on the most public stage in the world. I want to know what lead him to react like that, is there something we don't know. I'm not saying theres any conspiracy here, it just has to be more than defending his wife from a joke.

I didn't really know what it meant to be a part of the academy. Turns out its like Visqo said, he just can't vote etc. He can still technically win oscars, however i don't think he will win anymore (he may even have his current one removed).

I don't think this is career ending, but i think its career damaging. The other guys that got removed from the academy where sex offenders, Will slapped someone. Theres a big difference there! 

Theres people on social media that are very loud to criticise but most people i know in real life love Will. I think the fact that hes so well loved and that this is his first major mistake in his 30 year career means he can recover from this. I'm sure its gonna take time. Most peoples take on this is to get a funny meme or a tiktok out of it. I don't think many people are truly offended by what he did, just shocked as its out of character. 

I don't want him to do the red table talk, that show has damaged his reputation already. He needs to stay quiet a bit, reflect on why he did this and slowly build his career back.

I think him resigning from the Academy is the right thing to do. It doesn’t really mean much to be part of it. It’s not that important to his career.

I don’t think his career is over. It will take some time for people to forget about this. The video and the incident will probably keep popping up for the rest of his career. The only way for this entire issue to be over is to have a conversation with Chris Rock. It doesn’t have to be in front of cameras. Just talk privately and clear the air. 

• Admin

And it’s begun, Netflix has pulled out of Wills next movie. Add to that Bad Boys 4 is out on hold and I think Will is about to realise once Hollywood turns on you it will be very hard to land a movie role. Look at Mickey Rourke and thousands of others before him.

full story here:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/will-smith-netflix-movie-1235123901-1235123901/

It's expected that within a week of an unusual event like this, Will's projects would be scrutinized by some.  Movies experience various delays all the time. I don't expect anything to really change.  A lot of movies take a year to come out.  A year from now nobody is going to be shocked by this and the dust will have settle. I expect Will's reputation and position will mostly be restored.  It's all business and media play at the moment. 

• Admin

AJ there is an an interesting article on this very subject: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/will-smith-career-damage-post-slap-hollywood-execs-weigh-in-1235122660/

from two top executives 2 different points of view:

Another longtime studio exec agrees there are still shoes to drop in how Smith manages going forward. If he could publicly reconcile with Chris Rock, for example, that might help bolster his image. But this top industry veteran is a bit more cautious, saying anyone casting Smith in a movie or series would have to weigh the challenge of trying to promote a project knowing that reporters inevitably would ask Smith and fellow castmembers about the incident. “I think [studios] would think twice — do they need the aggravation?” he says. “Everyone would do the equation, ‘I’ve got Will Smith, but now I’ve got this baggage and they’re going to reshow the slap. Do I need that, and is so-and-so available?’ The other side is, ‘I’ve got Will Smith, and he needs a comeback, and I’ll restore his luster.’ You would weigh factors — what the movie is, what the cost is. If [his reps] say, ‘Will really wants to do this and it’s important to him,’ there are ways for him to say, ‘I’m cutting my price but not [permanently] cutting it.'”

and

“He’s not kryptonite yet,” says one studio executive. “He has to sit in the penalty box for a bit. He’s going to do some interview with someone like Gayle King and it will kind of wash away.” Smith’s long history in the business will help, this person continues: “He has never been violent on set. He has been extra accommodating. And you read about what he did on the King Richard set.”

I think this is an important read.  Yes, Will carries the weight for most of the disaster, but Chris Rock needs to carry his part. 

https://toofab.com/2022/03/31/chris-rock-summer-of-soul-joseph-patel/

Oscar Winner Joseph Patel Calls Chris Rock an 'Absolute F---ing D---', Will Smith 'Selfish' for Slap

Award ShowsBy TooFab Staff|3/31/2022 9:18 AM PT
  •  
  •  
  •  
3e6cb7c1997541daa2e10280630e32d4_md.jpg  

"What both Will AND Chris did really stained what should have been a beautiful moment for us," says the Summer of Soul producer.

While a lot of heat has been thrown in Will Smith's direction following the slap seen 'round the world during the Oscars, one winner from Sunday's ceremony is calling out Chris Rock for disrespect as well.

Though many viewers were, uh, distracted and quickly took to Twitter to sound off on what they had just witnessed, the show went on for Rock, who then presented the award for Best Documentary. The trophy went to "Summer of Soul," with Questlove (real name Ahmir Thompson) accepting the honor alongside Robert Fyvolent, David Dinerstein, and Joseph Patel (left, above).

But Rock ticked off at least one of those winners by referring to them as "Ahmir Thompson and four white guys" when announcing the award.

"The reason that makes me SO SO VERY ANGRY is because I was so proud to be one of a handful of South Asians to have ever won an Oscar in the history of the award," tweeted Patel, who is Indian-American, on Wednesday. "I was ecstatic that I was the 3RD South Asian to win that night," he added, referring to earlier wins for Riz Ahmed and Aneil Karina for Best Live Action Short. "Three South Asians winning on the same night – that's never happened before! And it’s meaningful! It’s history!"

"I'm a big boy — I can take a joke. Comedians make jokes. But not in that moment," he added. "What a s----y, disrespectful thing to do. I got back home to New York last night and saw the ceremony on my DVR and didn't have the stomach to watch it. I probably never will."

"Thank you, Chris – You absolute f---ing dick," he continued.

Patel was also frustrated that Smith's slap "robbed" them of their moment in the sun.

"I think what Will did was selfish. It robbed the category of its moment. It robbed the other excellent and amazing films of their moment to be acknowledged in what was a STRONG year for docs," he continued. "And it robbed Summer of Soul and our team of our moment. Of a loud, enthusiastic cheer for a celebrated film."

"I never need a statue to tell me how nice I am – but it sure helps," he added. "And what both Will AND Chris did really stained what should have been a beautiful moment for us. Also it goes without saying I speak for me and me alone. Not Ahmir and not our coproducers."

Patel later deleted his tweets because, as he put it, "we reached the unproductive portion of the viral Twitter thread." He added, "I said what I needed to say and feel at peace with it. Some of y'all are weirdos."

Smith did issue a public mea culpa on Instagram following the ceremony, saying he "reacted emotionally" to "a joke about Jada's medical condition" and apologized to Rock for his "out of line" actions.

"I would also like to apologize to the Academy, the producers of the show, all the attendees and everyone watching around the world," he added.

yes chris rock is not innocent in this, the joke was tasteless, they both need to take responsibility for their actions, i believe cooler heads will prevail, will smith and chris rock ain't 20 no more their grown veterans over 50 things will cool down