JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Why did Will Smith slap Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Hero1

I agree with a lot of opinions here. I don't think Will is doing good mentally. It was like a bi-polar moment for him. He's seen laughing at the joke to then slapping Chris and shouting at him. Next he gets the win and then cries and says something that he's a "vessel of love" and "love makes you do crazy things".

Dude - you just slapped the host of the show because Jada wasn't having it. Listen, I get defending your wife but that was such an instant response to Jada. It was uncalled for. The joke wasn't even that bad. It's comedy. So now if we go to comedy shows and don't like a joke we can slap the comedian? It's bizarre. I get that it's an isolated incident but I think it was trigger by some deep wounds and toxicity in his life. He needs some help and healing. I haven't read the book but it seems like their are some deep rooted issues. 

We're obviously all people on the outside watching but part of me thinks their marriage has run it's course. He was humiliated on the RTT with Jada where she justified her actions in front of the world to make a private matter turn into public display of marriage therapy in which she profited off of it. She had an affair with their son's friend. That's crazy. So because the traditional definition of marriage doesn't apply to their "open marriage" makes what she did okay? And now they're going to have another episode that they're going to profit from from all the views. I could do without the pomp and circumstance.

Honestly, I'm just turned off by Will and have been for a few years now. Maybe at his core he's still the guy we all grew up loving from JJFP, FPOBA to the early 2000s but he doesn't have the same appeal to me. He's a business and a brand and the one thing I want from him - he doesn't sell anymore - which is music. I'm not into Will Smith the character, the box office star and hollywood elite. He's just not relatable. I feel the same way about Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson too. 

I dont care and never cared about: 

• his movies
  • his marriage and how open it is
  • his kids
  • his snapchat
  • his instagram
  • his book (well maybe some parts of it)
  • bel-air reboot
  • hollywood life 
  • his politics
  • his youtube channel
  • his motivation advice
  • his workout routine
  • selling me products (bel-air merch, JUST water...etc)
  • ...etc

Anything with music - count me in. 

Edited by DevilsJim89

• Admin
10 hours ago, DevilsJim89 said:

I haven't read the book but it seems like their are some deep rooted issues. 

Anything with music - count me in. 

Jim, I get everything you are saying and I think a lot of people feel the same way. I think it is worth getting the audiobook of Will though - the first 10 chapters are all about the formation and success of JJFP and a lot of stuff we never knew about - I think as a music fan you would really enjoy that section of the book at least. Behind the scenes of summertime - the making of And in this corner etc, the return with Men In Black.

I saw the news that the Academy wasn't honest about asking him to leave, or giving him mixed messages. I think it's important to get that straight. Let will pay the consequences for what he did. Not what he didn't do. The whole situation is bizarre, so I don't really blame anyone bystanders for how they handled it. 

• Admin

Oscars producer Will Packer said Los Angeles police were ready to arrest Will Smith after Smith slapped Chris Rock on the Academy Awards stage.

“They were saying, you know, this is battery, was a word they used in that moment,” Packer said in a clip released by ABC News Thursday night of an interview he gave to “Good Morning America.” “They said we will go get him. We are prepared. We’re prepared to get him right now. You can press charges, we can arrest him. They were laying out the options.”

This should be an interesting interview: https://apnews.com/article/oscars-chris-rock-jada-pinkett-smith-entertainment-los-angeles-74be8b61cd1b7225dbfa2a252b21550a

I really hope he speaks with Chris Rock, perhaps he can donate to one of his charities or something and then he takes a break from the limelight to work on himself. I was reflecting on how much Will has inspired me as a person with his advice, his charisma and his work ethics. I believe he deserves a break. People make mistakes and I hope this mistake does not cost him his career. He has a lot of good he can do for the world outside of all this craziness. Perhaps now he will keep his things private and focus more on what he can do to help out.

• Admin

Some interesting quotes in this article: https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/awards/oscars/will-smith-has-just-two-weeks-to-save-his-career-after-oscars/news-story/6406187e5477c3e6c5babca5dd2dc17d

A source said: “Things are hanging in the balance. He will write an official letter to apologise, and effectively beg for their forgiveness.

“He is also expected to hold a call with show bosses in the next 24 hours. April 18 is D-Day, though – he will find out if he still has an Oscar, and quite possibly, a career.”

Question marks hang over Smith’s upcoming projects including Apple-funded slave escape drama Emancipation, with executives declining to comment on its planned release.

He is also due to return to the Bad Boys franchise for a fourth instalment, though no start date has yet been set.

The source explained: “Production executives and studio chiefs do not want to be seen picking a side too early.”

Broadcaster and Sun columnist Piers Morgan, recently on Fox News, said: “Great to see Hollywood so incensed by Will Smith’s slap and preparing to severely punish him.

“Just a reminder the same Hollywood gave paedophile fugitive Roman Polanski an Oscar and a standing ovation after his conviction, and continues to hire him and shower him with awards.”

But sources believe The Academy is “leaning the other way”, adding: “They really feel they have to be seen to act.

“It’s no wonder Will is seeking legal advice – he’s likely to need all the help he can get to avoid sanctions.”

People love you one day and turn on you the next. There are also many just waiting for you to fall to pounce on you like a tiger on a prey. I hope he is able to recover from all of this. 

Chris Rock was likely still in disbelief. He didn't know if it was a joke, if it was an attack, what was it about. Hahaha. I'm glad he took it like that