JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Why did Will Smith slap Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Hero1

19 hours ago, Hero1 said:

Jada using Will's mental breakdown for some views on her red table talk I find extremely unsavoury. Wasn't the entanglement episode of that enough humiliation for Will? And now she is going to do it again with more of her psycho-babble? Not happy about this at all. Will get away from that toxicity and get back to being yourself.

"Using Will's mental breakdown"? She was the one who got mocked in front of millions of people! Out of the three involved, she - if anyone - has all the right to say whatever she wants through whatever meda she wants to tell it, because she was the victim in this case.

Well if any of you have paid attention between the book Will and executive producing Bel Air, and King Richard, he's trying to potray himself in a stronger manner than just the mr clean big willie that many gangsta rappers like eminem have dissed him for over in his career, from someone in west philly he's trying to hold his integrity that he ain't some sellout, now obviously showing violence in front of millions of people at the oscars shouldn't be justified, but talking crap about my wife ain't justified either, chris rock obviously taking will's kindness for weakness shouldn't be condoned either just like when eminem said "f will smith and f you fans that like him too", and all the crap that will had to put up with growing up, i feel bad for all the slack that will's getting, if i were him i would've confronted chris rock privately, but i could see where he's coming from but overall it's an unfortunate situation...

the best way for will and chris rock to resolve this is to have a comedic versuz where they could talk all the **** they want about each other, a battle of words, and will need to do a versuz with dj jazzy jeff against dr dre and eminem and settle these beefs with the battle of words and creativity which he does best instead of fists....

So many people in this group are against Red Table Talk. I think that's a little ridiculous. Yes, the way Jada's involvement with August during a time that they were virtually separated was too much, but otherwise, the show is good.  I haven't gotten to watch it in awhile, but they've addressed some great topics and handled it well.  I do think it would be best of Chris Rock was invited and that he has equal platform. 

The idea of Will and Chris doing a comedic Veruz is actually pretty genius.  If they can mend their relationship and sit down, celebrating and laughing at each other's moments in film and making jokes, I feel that would put a huge band-aid on the moment. 

On a related note, I saw this.  As usual, is appears that Puffy is a lying piece of trash who's trying to piggy back on others for attention.  However, is this really considered a beef?

https://www.xxlmag.com/chris-rock-brother-diddy-lied-will-smith/

Chris Rock's brother spoke out against Diddy's claim that Will Smith and Chris Rock made amends after the Oscars.

Last night (March 29), Chris Rock's brother, comedian Tony Rock, held a Q&A on Twitter. He responded to numerous questions regarding Will Smith slapping his brother onstage at the Oscars this past weekend.

One particular question about Diddy's reported confirmation that Smith and Rock had already made up the day following the ceremony has garnered a lot of attention.

A Twitter user asked, "@TONYROCK so Diddy was lying when he said Chris and Will made up that night and are good now?"

Tony simply responded, "Yep."

In a separate response to another question, Tony made it clear that Smith and Rock's beef is most definitely still on.

"Are we fighting fire with fire or going the professional route?" a user asked.

"It's on bro," Rock responded.

As aforementioned, on the morning following the slap (March 28), Diddy reportedly told Page Six that Smith and Rock had already made amends. "That’s not a problem. That’s over. I can confirm that,” Diddy supposedly told the publication at Vanity Fair's post-Oscars party. “It’s all love. They’re brothers,” he added.

Smith shocked the entertainment world Sunday night (March 27) by slapping Chris Rock at the Oscars after Rock made a joke about Jada Pinkett's struggles with alopecia. Smith apologized directly to Rock early Monday evening in a statement published to his Instagram.

"I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris," he began. "I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness."

He continued: "I would also like to apologize to the Academy, the producers of the show, all the attendees and everyone watching around the world. I would like to apologize to the Williams Family and my King Richard Family. I deeply regret that my behavior has stained what has been an otherwise gorgeous journey for all of us."

Rock has yet to issue any statement or comments on what took place.

The police went to the Smiths house after being notified of drone activity in the premises. They feel it may have been paparazzi but have not been able to confirm

• Admin

The Academy just released a statement:

The Board of Governors today initiated disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith for violations of the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, including inappropriate physical contact, abusive or threatening behavior, and compromising the integrity of the Academy.

Consistent with the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, as well as California law, Mr. Smith is being provided at least 15 days’ notice of a vote regarding his violations and sanctions and the opportunity to be heard beforehand by means of a written response. At the next board meeting on April 18, the Academy may take any disciplinary action, which may include suspension, expulsion, or other sanctions permitted by the Bylaws and Standards of Conduct.

Mr. Smith’s actions at the 94th Oscars were a deeply shocking, traumatic event to witness in-person and on television. Mr. Rock, we apologize to you for what you experienced on our stage and thank you for your resilience in that moment. We also apologize to our nominees, guests and viewers for what transpired during what should have been a celebratory event.

Things unfolded in a way we could not have anticipated. While we would like to clarify that Mr. Smith was asked to leave the ceremony and refused, we also recognize we could have handled the situation differently.

The fact that Will was asked to leave and refused is very bad. I have a feeling he is going to be expelled from the Academy and this could signal the end of Will's movie career. How many people in Hollywood would want to work with him now?

I think Will needs to get help. And I don't think going public (Whether it's Red Table Talk or some other media outlet) is the answer. I think he needs to work on himself and get help privately. I don't think he's in the right state of mind to be going in front of cameras right now. 

5 hours ago, Hero1 said:

My latest thoughts on this - including a damning video showing Jada laughing after the incident:

http://www.jazzyjefffreshprince.com/2022/03/31/is-will-smiths-movie-career-over-after-slapping-chris-rock-at-the-oscars/

Maybe I’m naive, but that looks to me like Jada didn’t think it was serious at first either. 

9 hours ago, Hero1 said:

The Academy just released a statement:

The fact that Will was asked to leave and refused is very bad. I have a feeling he is going to be expelled from the Academy and this could signal the end of Will's movie career. How many people in Hollywood would want to work with him now?

I wonder at what point they asked him to leave, immediatly or after the whole thing but before the party? I mean if they really wanted to throw him out its not like they couldnt have done it, they probably have quite a few armed guards and ****.

Anyway, I seriously doubt he'll be expelled from Hollywood (maybe from future Academy Awards howeveer) and quite a few actors has shown support for him... but expelled from Hollywood, I think you are quite off target if you think morale reasons would stand above possibly earning a couple of hundred million dollars from his movies, its not like Hollywood has excellent track record when it comes to this... wifebeaters, paedos, murderers and whatnot in every corner of the film industry... Mel Gibson bashing jews for years but as soon as he wants to do Lethal Weapon 5 and make a few hundred million bucks for Warner Bros: "welcome back!"

55 minutes ago, Lerkot said:

I wonder at what point they asked him to leave, immediatly or after the whole thing but before the party? I mean if they really wanted to throw him out its not like they couldnt have done it, they probably have quite a few armed guards and ****.

Anyway, I seriously doubt he'll be expelled from Hollywood (maybe from future Academy Awards howeveer) and quite a few actors has shown support for him... but expelled from Hollywood, I think you are quite off target if you think morale reasons would stand above possibly earning a couple of hundred million dollars from his movies, its not like Hollywood has excellent track record when it comes to this... wifebeaters, paedos, murderers and whatnot in every corner of the film industry... Mel Gibson bashing jews for years but as soon as he wants to do Lethal Weapon 5 and make a few hundred million bucks for Warner Bros: "welcome back!"

Yeah, people have done far worse than this and still gone on to have successful careers. It’s a very divided opinion wise on the situation as it is. 

I think opinion is divided because people can't believe that Will Smith could do something like this. For decades he's been knowing as the fun, nice guy who's friendly with everyone. So I think that's the reason why people are trying to justify (Not that what was done can be justified) why Will did what he did. 

Tim, I think you kind of went for the jugular in your blog.  Much of it is an opinion article, choosing to report on things from a specific angle, as if you're trying to drag Will down.  I was surprised when I read that he was asked to leave and didn't.  Like Lerkot said, if they really wanted him to leave, he would have been removed.  They were trying to save their stuck up reputation, but clearly not all that worried about it because security or police could have removed him. 

The video of Jada is actually showing her laughing at Chris, as opposed to the slap.

There might be some people who are hesitating to work with Will for a minute, but providing we don't see anything like this again, it's not going to hurt his career much.  Will is often one of the producer on his own films. Many people know him personally and know that what we saw the other night was not his character.  That's why most people are saying something about his actions, but not him in general.  If anything, I think he'll be banned from the Oscars for a few years or permanently.  Only a small handful of his movies are the type that were the kind that were going to get Oscar attention, so I expect he'll get through this mostly unscathed when it's all settled.