JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

WILL DISCUSSES LL 'VERZUZ'

Will Smith Says He and LL Cool J Have Discussed a Possible ‘Verzuz’ Battle

Joshua Espinoza

Nov 18, 2021

Will Smith poses with LL Cool J

Image via Getty/Frank Micelotta

Will Smith says he’s considered stepping onto the Verzuz stage with fellow rapper-turned-actor LL Cool J. But he isn’t too confident he’ll come out with a win.

Smith spoke about the potential battle during a recent appearance on Sway in the Morning with his King Richard co-stars Demi Singleton and Saniyya Sidney. At one point during the interview, the titular host asked Will if he had ever considered doing a Verzuz. Smith then revealed he and LL had already discussed it.

“Yeah, you know I was thinking about that. Me and L, we’re talking about doing one,” Smith said. “But I never had a chance to—I was writing my book … L is going to body me.”

Sway’s co-host Heather B weighed in on the proposed showdown, suggesting Will may have a better chance if he is accompanied by DJ Jazzy Jeff.

“What’s dope about Will, though, Will and L was out when the era when it was the DJ and the rapper,” she said. “It was Eric B. and Rakim, Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince. Everybody had their DJ so don’t let [DJ Jazzy] Jeff on the turn tables.”

“That’s my secret weapon right there,” Smith responded.

LL has reportedly expressed interest in doing a Verzuz against two hip-hop greats who aren’t from his era. During an interview with The Morning Hustle earlier this year, Fat Joe claimed LL wanted to take on Drake or Jay-Z.

I'm not sure how this info slipped by the forum (unless I missed it).  While their careers aren't total parallels, I feel like they are the best fit for each other. It's something a lot of of us would like to see.  It'd be a dream if they recorded a new song together to promote it. 

I THINK I'D DIE AND GO TO HEAVEN IF THIS HAPPENED