JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Bel Air Streaming Now - Your Thoughts

Hero1

My wife and I enjoyed it a lot... and I mean, a lot! It was so fun seeing a reimaging of something we've seen so often and know so well. I've always thought that the general story lent itself well to a more serious, dramatized version, and I think they did an excellent job translating it for a modern audience.

The easter eggs are fun and really test your memory of the original. I'd suggest that anyone who is a fan of the original avoid watching it again as preparation for the remake. Test your memory and familiarity with the original by seeing how well you can connect the new version to the old.

I have a bunch of other thoughts (mostly positive) regarding some of the casting and story choices they made, but I'll hold off and let others chime in.

• Admin

Hey man - you need to join me for a podcast about this. I thought Jabari Banks was really well cast, and does a great job as Will. I’m definitely invested after one episode. It’s something completely different, but that’s why I like it.

On 2/15/2022 at 5:10 AM, Hero1 said:

Hey man - you need to join me for a podcast about this. I thought Jabari Banks was really well cast, and does a great job as Will. I’m definitely invested after one episode. It’s something completely different, but that’s why I like it.

I'm down. Crazy busy right now so I hope I can find the time, but I'd love to talk about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 2/18/2022 at 10:15 AM, MaxFly said:

I'm down. Crazy busy right now so I hope I can find the time, but I'd love to talk about it.

hey @maxfly & @dabrakes wanna do a podcast on episodes 4-6 this Sunday morning? I can setup the zoom if you are free.

hey tim i've been mad busy lately too but i'd love to get on a zoom with you and other jjfp heads and talk about bel air, the will book, jeff's work, jjfp, and hip hop history, pick some brains for a bit one of these days....

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it was pretty dope. Once you learn to isolate it as it’s own project rather than relaying to the original, it’s actually a really cool dramatic spin. 

The occasional nod to the original series is excellent too, and a few familiar faces show up at time. Really enjoyed it. Much better than the Saved By the Bell renewal lol

• Admin

I’ve finished the season - I enjoyed it. My fav characters are Hillary, Jazz and Aunt Viv in the new version.

It will be interesting to see what storyline’s they have for season 2.

with everything going on these days with the oscars fiasco and all the drama of bel air and the will book to me it shows a tougher edge than the mr nice guy image he's had for 35 years, i have a lot to say in a podcast tim, i'm more down than ever bro, message me and let's do it!