JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Hip-Hop Honors

bigted

Check it out if you can, they're gonna give props to some ol' school hip-hop legends like KRS-ONE, Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five, 2Pac, Public Enemy, and Run-DMC, it should be dope! :switch:

I waz at work when it 1st aired but i'm watching the rerun right now. I didn't cut in until right before Public Enemy. That waz amazing. Did u see how they rocked that!?!?! Chuck D is over 40 years old and he's rockin' the mic and runnin' all over the stage!! U don't see Nelly and 50 Cent doin' that. They untalented butts just stand on the stage. The fellaz totally put on a show. CRAZY ENERGY!!

I thought it waz cool that when MC Hammer recited a verse from "Unconditional Love" (one of 2Pac's best songs). However, i think Hammer should have performed "Keep Ya Head Up." 2Pac waz knockin' Nas during the East Coast/West Coast feud but Nas always played it off like they were cool (did he not hear 2Pac's music and freestyles?!). Nas messed up the words and even tho' it's a slower song, he waz outta breath by the last verse. MC Hammer repersents the same community 2Pac came up in as a teenager and they were cool. In fact they also performed 2gether at one of Deathrow's events that gave props 2 mothers where they performed live for mother in in Cali. VH-1 shortly presented 2Pac's legacy better than MTV would have. They didn't focus strictly on the Deathrow era like some tributes do.

MC Lyte looked great even tho' i only saw her bridging the show 2 commercials.

"Rapper's Delight" waz amazing. It started off with The Chic "Goodtimes" (once remixed by DJ Jazzy Jeff + ATOJ...and sampled for "It's All Good"). Then Sugarhill Gang took the stage and didn't show a sign of slowing down. It looked like they had been performing the song non-stop since 1979. Then MC Hammer comes out rocking a bright yellow shirt, jacket and bandana w/ jeans and shades. He just fused some old skool dances and new skool dances 2gether and outshined the fly girls behind him. The camera shots kept switching, but waz did i see LL on stage near the end? (Was he there?). I think i saw DMC 2 but with all that shot flashing...who knows. There waz no lacking of energy and smiles at all. Simply amazing. The great thing 2 hear waz that they are gonna make it an annual event!!

From what i saw, i waz just happy 2 see old skool artists and people with talent getting 2 put it on stage for millions 2 see. With a special like this, maybe Hip-Hop dose have a chance. I mean, how can somone like that keep themselves ignorant and only listen 2 the new skool trash??

Can't wait 2 see the whole thing when it reruns again. JJ+FP better be on there next year!!

WATCHIN IT RIGHT NOW. The only thing I skipped was "Lean Back" - Fat Joe. I was like "F&%! That".

Hey don't diss Fat Joe, he represented for KRS-ONE last night, I was kinda upset that KRS-ONE didn't perform though 'cause he still performs a lot and I wanted to see him rock the house! Chuck D did a great performance last night, I can't wait to hear the new PE albums when they come out next year, I didn't like though how they talked about Public Enemy and KRS-ONE about how great they were, they're still great today but nobody pays attention to them on mainstream! :werd: I loved that Nas performance with his father who's a blue's singer, music runs in Nas' family. :switch: Next year should be JJ+FP, LL Cool J, Queen Latifah, Salt-N-Pepa, and Slick Rick getting hip-hop honors. :rock: I hope they show more hip-hop on VH1 over the next year, having this once a year is not enough, they should show hip-hop everyday! :ditto:

Sorry, "Lean Back" just ain't my kinda song. Sure he held it down 4 KRS-One. I give him that. I didn't really like the 2nd half of PE's performance. It seemed like 2 much. and it drowned Chuck D out almost. yeah I noticed Nas kinda out of it. KRS-One was all smiles at that show. Hopefully, honors don't get outta line. And people only "DESERVING" of it, get honored.

I caught the end of "Lean Back"...that's where i popped in. I thought it sucked. Song has a decent beat but nothing less 2 offer. I don't think Fat Joe is bad tho'...he's got some good stuff out.

I think the 2nd half of PE's performance waz really crazy. He did kinda drown in everything that waz going on. But it waz dope...it waz like a 3 ring circus on stage...u didn't know what 2 watch.

I was especially happy to see KRS-ONE get honors this year rather than LL or FP 'cause he ain't a household name like they're but his career has been just as consistant as theirs and some of my friends didn't know anything about KRS-ONE until I told 'em about him finally saw him on TV! :kekeke:

Hey lambert 50 Cent has nothing on the legendary KRS-ONE, Run-Dmc, Public Enemy, Sugar Hill Gang, and 2Pac who were honored and u should recognize that since you've been listening to hip-hop since it started like u claim u did!

I like "Lean Back", it was one of the better summer anthems in recent years, I'd rather roll with that then "Right Thurr" and "Hot In Herre" which were mad corny!

And AJ, don't make it look like Nas was a coward 'cause he didn't come back at 2Pac: what about Biggie, Jay-Z, Fuggees, and Mobb Deep? They didn't come back to diss 2Pac either after he dissed them!

I'm not calling Nas a coward. I'm just saying that in recent years he's been working off 2Pac's music ("Thugs Mansion" for instance). They could have had Snoop Dogg, MC Hammer, Shock G, Richie Rich, or Ray Luv perform...someone who waz actually close 2 him.

Nas even messed up the lyrics more than once. I'm not dissing him, i'm just dissapointed.

Hey, I was kinda disappointed myself wit that performance of 2pac by Nas.

-Biggie didn't cuz he didn't wanna fuel the fire of the coast war. But "Long Kiss Goodnight" was 4 2pac.

-Jay-Z probably wasn't really aware of it. Maybe he was tho. :dunno:

-Fugees, i think Lauryn Hill did in a song. "Ready Or Not"? Not sure how that beef arised tho.

-Mobb Deep, i believe they did. "Drop A Gem On Em" was 4 2pac. Nas dissed 2pac wit them on "Thug Life is Mine". And on this DJ Clue song where he said "...rollin over this Makaveli".

Nobody really took on 2Pac. They heard "Hit 'Em Up" and didn't wanna be tore 2 shreads like Biggie and Bad Boys waz. B.I.G. did have a line on some song my friend had which cracked me up saying something like "if Faith is pregnant, it's probably 2Pac's". :roll: Mobb Deep is crap 2 me. After 2Pac pass, they recorded lyrics and videos that were taking shots at him. Talk about wack, they pansy butts kept their mouth shut when he waz alive...but AFTER he gets killed they take cheap shots at him. That's the personification of cowardism. Fugees never retaliated...none of stuff dissing them waz released b4 he died. Jay-Z never said anything 2 him either.

Fat Joe and KRS-ONE are real good friends, whenever Fat Joe is interviewed he always mentions how KRS inspired him, and on KRS' recent albums KRS-ONE gives shout outs to Fat Joe and the Terror Squad on some of his songs, they even collaborated on KRS' '02 song "Welcome To The Temple" which also featured Smooth B. and Rampage of the Flipmode Squad, I don't know if anyone here ever heard that song before! :dunno:

I personally thought that Nas didn't deliver that well in the 2Pac tribute, Treach of Naughty By Nature or even KRS-ONE should've done it instead 'cause they were a couple of the few East Coast mcs that 2Pac never dissed, on a KRS song a couple years ago KRS-ONE said "While you respected 2Pac, 2Pac respected me!" I love the verse that Nas did on "We Will Survive" in paying homage to 2Pac:

"Dear 'Pac, every thug sheds a tear drop -- and use teeth

to bite off beer tops, and _Pour Out a Lil' Liquor_

You was more than just the wildest n***

+2Pacalypse+, I understand your style n***

It's goin on the third year, since you've been gone

On the East and West Coast the same s*** is goin on

The industry be talkin, offendin me often

They don't believe you dead, wanna see you in your coffin

I can relate, shootouts and court dates

+All Eyez on You+, n****z in your face invadin your space

You asked if I could trade in your place, how would I hold up?

How long would I ride, before I fold up?

How did you know through your rhymes it was your time to go?

You predicted it in every line, all in your flow

There could _Never Be Peace_ I have to quote

Can't believe I heard my name on "the realest s*** you ever wrote"

We had words cause the best supposed to clash at the top

but kept it brotherly, when we seen each other and stopped

in NYC, at MTV, people watched

We was both deep, after you left, I got no sleep

Think about how us real n****z would be

If we united, a nation of thugs, who could fight it?

You was caught in a wild homicide, or were you crucified

like the son of God, when Lucifer lied

and make the world think, young blacks should be extinct?

But Thug Life'll never die, we stay high and just link

Will there ever be another MC as nice?

Will you return to us like the resurrection of Christ?"

A couple final notes about the Hip-Hop Honors, Salt-N-Pepa still look hot as ever and Doug E. Fresh rocked the house with his tribute to Run-Dmc! :rock: