JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Logic Ft Will Smith - Don’t Be Afraid To Be Different

I'm loving this feature. It's great to hear Will have some flow and talk some ish. I'm hoping for more.

I don't wanna hear the same crap about cursing, how he's working with crappy younger artists...just stop already. Either enjoy it or don't. It's 2019, not 1989. Gotta get with the times. If you like something great, enjoy it but don't constantly remind us in every post about how KRS-One, Hammer, Kool G Rap, Biggie are just way far superior. They all made some wack records too. 

I'm well aware it's 2019 I support some of the younger artists like Kendrick Lamar game j Cole n chance the rapper but since I'm over 30 I'm not gonna listen to everything a current teen listens to you're right nobody is perfect if wills new album turns out wack I have the right to be critical all our opinions matter

Edited by bigted

By coming to this board everyday shows I'm a dedicated jjfp fan who loves old school hip hop but that don't mean I wave po m poms for everything they do we all make mistakes but I'll reserve anymore judgement until the album drops hope this is a warm up for commercial heads but fans of classic music want more

“Don’t Be Afraid To Be Different” is ironically and yet unsurprisingly one of the few times Logic and 6ix actually try something, well, different, combining Rob Base and EZ Rock jock jam energy with video game sound effects and a shockingly refreshing verse from Will Smith. Smith’s ultra-positive, “you can do it too” verse should be instructive to Logic on how it’s done — rather than wasting time harping on whether or not he receives what he feels is just credit, the former Fresh Prince simply lists his credentials, including a cute callback to his best-known track, the theme song from his culture-shaping sitcom.

source: https://uproxx.com/hiphop/logic-confessions-of-a-dangerous-mind-review/2/

Logic wouldn't be my first choice either but the track is pretty good. Way better than songs like "Get Lit" or "Live It Up". I don't think that Will's gonna drop an album though.

Unfortunately Logic is a little corny nowadays lyric wise. But he also put out some good stuff in the past. I would recommend listening to his first album "Under Pressure" or the first three Young Sinatra-Mixtapes (2010-2013). Second album was aight too but the rest of his discography isn't for me.

It's my first time on the board since this dropped.  I'm really happy with this song. It'll hold me over for a minute.  The early 90's feel is great, and the message-lite lyrics suits it. This is one of those things where FP went out on a limb and the results are glorious.

Damn Ted, you’ve been the most actively disappointed in Will not making music, then when he does, because it’s not quite the flavour you want, it’s an issue too :lol:  calm down dude, it’s not that serious. 

This track is dope. Logics new age but with an old school twist and not a mumble rapper and Wills flow and content is somehow nostalgically fresh. Can’t hate on this in the slightest. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well looking back at this track a month later this was actually a nice leadoff to the Aladdin success maybe this will lead to an appearance on Jeff's summertime mixtape again soon and another album