JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will Smith & Nicky Jam to make 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia official song

Ale

• Admin

Smith will join Nicky Jam and Kosovo singer Era Istrefi to perform the official song of the 2018 global sporting event.

Will Smith and Nicky Jam, together with Kosovo singer Era Istrefi, will perform the official 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia song, according to published reports and independent sources. The track is being produced by Diplo.

The news was first reported by Vibe and Colombian radio station W Radio on Monday and confirmed independently by Billboard with sources close to the project.

Although there are multiple songs associated with the World Cup, the official anthem is usually the most high-profile and is performed at the finale of the World Cup, which will be watched by an estimated 2 billion people. Past anthems include Shakira’s “Waka Waka” and Ricky Martin’s “The Cup of Life.”

According to an interview with Nicky Jam manager Juan Diego Medina that aired on W Radio, Nicky Jam and Smith were in Budapest putting final touches to the song, which is slated to be released Friday.

Prior to that, Vibe reported that, according to reggaeton producer DJ Nelson, Smith and Nicky Jam were working on the song. Vibe also reported that Istrefi would participate, per other published reports.

Before news of the World Cup song leaked out, Smith and Nicky Jam were already talking about each other on social media. Back in March, Nicky Jam sat with Billboard and did some karaoke in honor of Smith, who the previous week had posted a video singing “X,” the hit by Nicky Jam and J Balvin. Nicky Jam also told Billboard that when he called Smith to thank him for the plug, Smith asked him to remix Jaden Smith’s song “Icon.”

• Hero1 featured this topic

Huge news

This is fantastic!!! The World cup song made Ricky Martin and Shakira into international stars. Will Smith is already a superstar but this will inspire him into making more music again

Exciting times again i think we all need to thank AJ  i haven't been on here in a while but i do check the boards often and i remember AJ saying it's just a matter of time looks like The Time is Now for FP! 

Technically, this is the highlight of his and any other event. Might not be fully understood in the States but this is the biggest event in the world and depending on certain stuff (how good/catchy it is and how good/catchy the other official songs are) he could reach a public of about 1 billion, a FANTASTIC relaunch of his career.

I remember horrible Swedish artist E-Type making the offical song for Euro 2000, called "Campione", and he went from being more or less musically dead to a revival that (unfortunately) gave him plenty years of sales and success.

Dig it already it's hype

• Hero1 unfeatured this topic