JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"Just The Two Of Us" is Will's most lyrical popular song since 97

bigted

With all the panning of "Get Lit" it's time that I bring fresh perspective. On the most part since "Big Willie Style" the majority of Will's popular songs have been party songs and soundtrack songs with the exception of "Just The Two Of Us", songs like "Tell Me Why" and "The Rain" weren't hits, only true fans like us know them, so unfortunately I could see how casual people could judge him to say he hasn't been lyrical since "Summertime", like he said in "I Wish I made That": "Summer, Summertime seems like all I got". He let his Hollywood career ruin his hip hop image, he's tried to hard to keep up with the times rather than being true to the essence of real hip hop, the same thing has happened to LL Cool J in the last 20 years as well, my other favorite rapper with "Mr Smith" being his last album that his lyrical songs were released as hit singles that's why people think he fell off too, the sad thing is since 2Pac and Biggie died people don't pay attention to albums anymore and the only albums that people pay attention to have had lyrical hit singles, for instance in my eyes  people should be saying Willennium is just as soulful as Jay Z Blueprint and LL's 10 should've been as big as 50's Get Rich Or Die Tryin' but they didn't release proper lyrical hit singles...

Edited by bigted

"Just The Two of Us" is an excellent song.  The lyrics personal, heartfelt, and occasionally comical. The video was touching and artsy.  The media often portrays black men as poor or absent fathers, and the video featured so many cameos of black fathers. It was brilliant. The remixes of the song were great too. It was the perfect follow-up to a radio-ready song like "Just The Two of Us." I wish he would have followed it up with a better single though. "Miami" is the least interesting song on Big Willie Style, in my opinion.  I have the "Just The Two of Us" book that was inspired by the song.

Edited by JumpinJack AJ

that song really has hit home for me over the past year after the loss of my pops a year ago on november 1st, life is precious,,,

on another note i believe if will released a music video for "chasing forever" the "big willie style" album woulda had more critical acclaim that it does since it's the perfect wedding song:

Yes, LTI's R&B Remix is the last one in that video. I looked at my CD singles and it was one two non-US versions of the CD single (one in a jewel case and another in a cardboard sleeve, as well as vinyl. I have extended and shorter radio versions on a rare promo. I like the R&B Remix, because even though it's similar to the album version, it's not as polished.

I agree that "Chasing Forever" would have been a good single choice. They put too much space between singles. The album did so well that the could have had another video/single or two.

yeah big willie style is will's thriller album, don't say nothin woulda been another legit single for that album, it's a perfect song for the haters, ala mama said knock you out:

• 7 months later...

Happy father's day 2018 will should release a trib to his pops today...