JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Get Lit

i'd find it shocking if there's no proper rap songs on the album since he's always stayed true to form

It's kind of frightening that their may not be any classic Hip-Hop songs in is recent arsenal. Classic Hip-Hop isn't marketable at all. These songs make it look like he's trying to stay relevant to a radio crowd. I don't think that's a wise move. Even the non-Hip-Hop fans want to hear him on Hip-Hop tracks. Nobody is saying "Yes, Will Smith finally did an EDM inspired track." I support experimenting, but the though of abandonment scares me.

i'd rather hear an album of remixes of the classic JJFP tracks than an album of non hip hop tracks, and yes classic hip hop ain't that marketable anymore since those like KRS One and Public Enemy have released a ton of quality hip hop albums in the last 15+ years and none of them even went gold but do have a lot of credibility among the hip hop heads, Will needs to not worry about sales and do it for the culture like LL Cool J says....

Edited by bigted

will needs to get on this board and deliver what us true fans want, that classic boom bap hip hop, we want "Code Red 2017/2018" haha! btw i had a dream last night that Will made a song dissing President Trump, i wouldn't mind if that dream came true either at this point!

Edited by bigted

Whatever he does, he should rather go back to the roots. Code Red 17/18 would be nice. Agreed. That's the sound that I prefer.

I will always remember that moment when the instrumental of the song came on at the live performance in Blackpool and I thought he was fooling the crowd. I really thought he would stop after a few seconds to tell us "y'all been fooled. Did you really think I was gonna make a whack track like this?". But unfortunately this did not happen. Honestly I only listened to the studio version once until that auto tune came on. Then I stopped the track and never listened to it again.

I'll go with the opinion of Noisey :)

"The forgettable track has a cheap Major Lazer type production and a screamingly awful verse by Will Smith. Noisey called it the official arrival of Will Smith’s midlife crisis, which is spot on."

this week marks the 24th anniversary of code red, it'd only be fitting to drop a classic hip hop album to comemerate it...

apparantly the only way to make a strong comeback is to diss Trump hard like Eminem did, i guess he'll go diamond again while Will struggles to go gold with his dance songs....

well will has hurt his own career because he should be really be known for his music  since that's what got him started, if he released the proper songs as singles on his solo albums then he'd made the hall of fame on the first ballot and more people woulda respected his music, to most people he's the actor that does occasional party songs rather than the strong lyricist that he really is because they didn't pay attention to the songs like "i'm coming", "lost & fond", " don't say nothin", and even "block party", will let the record labels dictate his career, he needs to man up and take more control...btw, speaking of eminem if he really had that much political power he'd dissed trump last year and got his fans to vote for hillary, that's why i rather listen to real leaders like krs one cause they don't just diss somebody cause it's trendy they do what's right..

Edited by bigted

and it's working cause his Trump diss already has more views than Get Lit....btw today is the 24th anniversary of Code Red and i don't think it's gonna trend online at all...

Edited by bigted

That's simply because Will's fanbase is not even close to Em's. Eminem is still relevant in the rap game and is considered GOAT. Like I said earlier you can't compare those two. Will is pretty irrelevant in the game and nobody except for JJFP fans care about his music and IMO there is no way Will will ever be on a mainstream level as he was when Big Willie Style dropped. His music career has declined since Big Willie Style and his movie career has done that as well. If he drops music he should do it out of love for the game and not to be as successful as he used to be. The horse has bolted after Willennium and we all should accept that.

I'd be satisfied if he and Jeff went on world tour where all of us could attend a concert in our home country. A new album would be cool as well but only if that's old school JJFP stuff.

those who consider eminem the GOAT don't know the history of hip hop since rappers like kool moe dee, big daddy kane, slick rick, rakim, and melle mel would roast him (i'm not saying that cause he's white either since i think the beastie boys would too) and in that freestyle he did to Trump he dissed his own fans too, i'm not trying to make this will vs eminem cause it's really no contest will is a pioneer in music, movies, and tv entertainment and eminem is a rapper with above average talent that's wasted making garbage songs dissing people that ain't even relevant to rap on the most part, if he dissed somebody i mentioned like those above or the other old school legends his career would've ended a long time ago...a lot of these so called hip hop heads are very fickle, a lot of the rappers they praise today they'll be dissing next year, will has enough fans already he just has to take more control of his career like i said and stop listening to yes men, bottom line STOP making irrelevant movies and make that classic JJFP hip hop....

Edited by bigted

Comparing old school rappers to Em is like comparing Muhammad Ali, Frazier, Foreman boxers like Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis and so on. You'll never know who is better. Also Eminem wouldn't battle any of those old school pioneers as he pays alot of respect to them and even mentions his top rappers who are still active today and were known before him like e.g. Andre3000, Jay-Z and Nas. Of course Will is a pioneer in music but similar toall the other rappers you mentioned like Moe Dee, Kane, Slick, Rakim amd Melle Mel he is irrelevant in the music world. He has a (very successful) history in the music industry but that's it. Same with a rap icon like 50 Cent. 50 is irrelevant. Nobody cares about his music. 

When Em dissed Ja Rule, Rule was very relevant in the scene. Em ended Ja's career and he had a reason to diss Ja Rule.

I absolutely understand what you are talking about though. But still Will is irrelevant and nobody is asking for a album or single except us JJFP fans. Most of us are probably in their 30s. The kids around the world wanna listen to Justin Bieber and the rap fans around the globe do not wanna hear Will Smith on a record. Will would probably struggle to achieve gold status in the US. But I guess we will never find out.

Again I agree with you. I want that classic JJFP hip hop and if we do not get to hear any new material then I'll continue to listen to the old stuff. :D

i like ja rule but legal issues ended his career not eminem, clap back was a strong battle record he held his own.... record sales doesn't necessary prove how relevant you are either then vanilla ice and drake would be in the GOAT convo since they both sold millions and nelly ended krs one's career right? i'm not trying to bash eminem altogether cause i do respect his talent but i find a majority of his music annoying, will really sparred eminem and g unit in 2005 cause majority of us know he coulda easily said in the song "lost and found" and released as a single then and it woulda changed history, "lost is eminem and 50 cent/found is lauryn hill and rakim" which was 100% true then and now, the reason why 50 is less relevant than em is cause he's black and em's white but they're both the same annoying rappers ro me..btw i love lose yourself and wanksta but i could easily name 100 songs in hip hop better including summertime, brand new funk, and gettin jiggy wit it...btw at this point will will always stay relevant cause he has 10+ albums worth of material including his greatest hits, there's enough material out there, he has nothing more to prove, he's been in the game 30+ years, classic hip hop is more original so it'll always stay relevant since 99% of today's rappers are biters...

Edited by bigted