JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

'Aladdin' - Will as Genie

Ale

Reviewers seem to be ok with it, but movie goers seem to love it so far.

D7VZLhkXkAEJFLp.jpg

Some of the reviews are quite divergent and pretty negative. There's a "Disney money grab" narrative that everyone who dislikes the movie has seemed to latch onto. Some have panned Will's performance as just a poor copycat of Robin Williams' while others have praised it for daring to be different from Robin's with a fresh, hip hop sensibility, while paying homage to the original.

• Admin
2 hours ago, MaxFly said:

Reviewers seem to be ok with it, but movie goers seem to love it so far.

D7VZLhkXkAEJFLp.jpg

Some of the reviews are quite divergent and pretty negative. There's a "Disney money grab" narrative that everyone who dislikes the movie has seemed to latch onto. Some have panned Will's performance as just a poor copycat of Robin Williams' while others have praised it for daring to be different from Robin's with a fresh, hip hop sensibility, while paying homage to the original.

I loved Aladdin man..one of wills best performances...my full cinema applauded at the end. I think everyone who saw it loved it. This is gonna be huge. I’m expecting 1 billion worldwide.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD:

I've just seen the movie. It's a pretty fun one, with incredible musical numbers and choreographies. Great action sequences as well. If you're a fan of the original, it won't disappoint.

Mena and Naomi are great in their roles. Much chemistry between them, and very solid performances. Loved Dalia too. A very funny character. They made a good decision by including her in the film. I didn't like Marwan Kenzari as Jafar, though. I was expecting a much more intimidating, creepy man, and I didn't see that. It felt as if the movie wasn't more enjoyable for that reason. Bad casting choice, in my opinion.

Will, as expected, was fantastic. Perfect role for him. Can't think of anyone right now who could have done it better as the Genie. He's super charismatic and funny in this movie. Definitely one of his best roles.

7/10 for me. Go, watch it and enjoy the songs!

Edited by Ale

'Aladdin' is the second biggest opener ever for Will Smith, only behind 'Suicide Squad' ($133 million).

Domestic:      $86,100,000        41.6%
+ Foreign:      $121,000,000        58.4%
----------------------------------------------------------
= Worldwide:      $207,100,000

Watched it today with the family. They all loved it and Wills performance is one of his best. It’s soaring at the box office, it’s imdb rating is rising daily and audiences are raving about it. I’d say it’s Wills first hit movie for both sales, content and reviews, since I Am Legend.

With 2 more movies coming this year, one being animated and the other a sci-fi thriller, and potentially new music, it’s feeling like 2004-05 again. 

Edited by Big Willie

It was phenomenal...  i absolutely loved it..  Aladdin, Lion King and The Little Mermaid are my favourite Disney films so I was so happy to see a live action remake of of 2/3.  I think it was done perfectly and I loved the new twist they added...  Like Rebirth said its feeling very nostalgic for us Will Smith fans at the moment.

• Admin

The music is so good combined with a great movie it’s Will at his best. Aladdin has made $116 million opening in the US, it was projected about 75, and it’s on its way to $360-400 million in the US alone and will be Wills biggest movie ever. Soundtrack is no 1 all over the world too.

94% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes too. 

This and Bright are proof of how critics are extremely detached from what the consumer actually wants from the film industry and Hollywood. Wills career is beginning to thrive again. He has the calibre to win an Oscar, but his forte is in the action, sci-fi, comedic roles. Im glad to see him returning to those genres. 

Spies in Disguise looks like it’s gonna be a fun one for the family and Gemini Man looks dope as anything we’ve seen him do. Then of course Bad Boys for Life. It’s a very good time to be a Will Smith fan right now. 

1 hour ago, Big Willie said:

94% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes too. 

This and Bright are proof of how critics are extremely detached from what the consumer actually wants from the film industry and Hollywood. Wills career is beginning to thrive again. He has the calibre to win an Oscar, but his forte is in the action, sci-fi, comedic roles. Im glad to see him returning to those genres. 

Spies in Disguise looks like it’s gonna be a fun one for the family and Gemini Man looks dope as anything we’ve seen him do. Then of course Bad Boys for Life. It’s a very good time to be a Will Smith fan right now. 

Ain't this the truth. It sounds like many of the critics went in looking to hate it, and surprise, surprise, found things to hate. Most off the criticism centered on "Why was this even made? Can't people just enjoy the one made 27 years ago?" The criticisms are also quite disparate. Some critics hated it because they viewed it as unnecessary a "scene by scene" remake of the original... it wasn't. Others hated it because too many things were changed and some of their supposed favorite parts from the original didn't make it into the live action version. Those two criticisms are mutually exclusive; this particular story can't be too similar and too different at the same time. The good thing is that I've noticed that some of those who have seen it and like it have called out the critics for some of this non-sense. Not to dismiss anyone's criticisms, but some of the bashing really is non-sense, and I'm glad to see that movie goers are smarter than what the critics give them credit for.

It's shaping up to be a big year for Will.