JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

New Album, World Tour and Bad Boys III in 2016

Hero1

3 hours ago, Ale said:

All these hints are starting to annoy me now. I wish he'd just be honest and say that he's either planning on releasing new music or that he's not planning on releasing new music. I hate how he gets his music fans hopes up, only to dissapoint them. 

This reminds me of Drogba (probably not very known on this forum, although he now plays in the US), a footballer who played for Marseille, people loved him there, and for 12 years he has been saying every few months that he'll come back at Marseille. So everytime Marseille supporters get all hyped, excited.

And they are still waiting, living on that hope.

Will is doing the same. Keeping the music fans on their toes, satisfying the movie fans instead. So fans from both sides are still talking about him and hoping.

That's why I'm starting to question that rap is indeed his real love, like he once said. His real love must be movies or money (= movies), but not rap, or he would have done something by now.

Drogba is in a different situation though. It's not always in his hands. The money he will get in MLS is probably huge.

Will can do what he wants to in theory.

I think he is terrified of rejection. He is obsessed with being succesfull, understandably when people have praised you, loved you and copied you since you were 17 years old. If he feels his music fails, he will be reluctant to try it again. When his "serious movies" failed, he went back to doing "sci-fi-superhero"-shiat because its where love came from. When he understood that he is no longer the hottest thing in the market and does no longer appeal to kids, he sent out his own to extend himself. And remember, the last time around he made music, "Lost & Found", he was more concerned with success than with the quality of the music - hence 50centish songs like "Switch" and "Party Starter" and the lack of Jeff. If he would release music today I'm not even sure it would be any good as he is without any doubt separeted from his roots and on a weird, confusing path to forgottenness.

Yeah - Will can totally do what he wants but he should keep in mind he's somewhat alienated his music fans. He was just on the Tonight Show and was talking about 30 years in music but I couldn't help but think - what have you done the last 10 years musically? Aside from that latin song remix he jumped on, NOTHING. It's really hard to stay interested sometimes when you feel like the artist just doesn't care. Will doesn't owe us anything but man, toss us a bone. 

I think Lerkot has some good points. He's definitely terrified of rejection.At this point, who cares about sales. Just get on the mic and talk your sh!t Will. Drop some bars and just spit. No dancers, no crossover pop hits, just get Jeff on the boards and spit something. Drop it on mixcloud or soundcloud. He just doesn't get it. Jeff gives us great stuff all of the time online. No reason why Will can't throw the Clique remix he did up. It's super frustrating.

I'm tired of these impromptu (half of the song) Summertime performances for movie premieres or at beach clubs. It's old. If he really loves it, drop new music. I mean really now. 

Honestly, if he doesn't want to make music anymore, ok, I have no problem with that. I wish he would because I think he is even better at music than acting and I'm not a movie fan anyway. But if that's his choice, that's his choice and nobody should force him;
So he definitely does what he wants.

What bothers me is more the constant hints at a return. And also, I always have in mind that thing he said about how his true love was music and "movie paid bills pretty well" (said laughing). If this was true, 100% honest, then music should be what he wants, right?

I don't know, I guess I'm just disappointed. After 10 years there was something coming, a new album, he said himself for summer 2016. We're passed the middle of summer and there are no news at all in months. I'm aware it would probably not have been as good as what he did at one point, but I wanted to see what he would do. But right now, he has a couple of movies ahead of him, and probably some more after.

I don't know if they're serious or not (from Will's reaction, I'd say they really are), but in this interview they say Will recorded a song for the 'Suicide Squad' soundtrack and then he rejected it. Looks like it was supposed to be a secret, but this just adds fuel to the fire..

Edited by Ale

I think one of the reasons why Will hasn't released any new music in the last ten years is because Lost And Found didn't sell as well as he hoped it would. I agree with Lerkot when he says that will is scared of rejection and is obsessed with being sucessful. If Lost And Found had sold as much as Big Willie Style, there probably would have been another album or two by now. 

i wish will would be more like one of my other favorite mcs krs one who released at least 10 albums over the last 15 years despite the fact that none of them went gold which is a shame since they're great music but he don't care cause he's keeping it real, like he once said: "mcs are just hopeless/thinking record sales make them the dopest", if that's the case then real hip hop heads are idiots for listening to those like krs one and chuck d and should listen to the popular lil' wayne and drake instead

Edited by bigted

I think your all right with the he's scared thing. It was all looking so promising, then fiesta kinda did nothing apart from made a few news stories online. No-one played the song, it didn't enter the top 200 in the iTunes chart. I think that's mostly because he recorded with an unknown band, at least in the UK and Europe. I think that was the tester. If that song had been a success he would of donated more time to music.

i think he's being vague because he doesn't know, or he's recorded stuff and doesn't feel its good enough. Interviewers are asking him and he has no real answer. 

As much as I want new music, his safer option music wise is to do these shows. People do love his old music. And people love 90's nostalgia. 

• Admin

Music doesn't even sell these days so I don't know why Will is even bothered about that. Everyone streams music they don'y buy it. Just put some tracks on spotify and give the fans something.

yeah music doesn't really pay the bills anymore, true artists do music for the love of it, how much money does will need isn't he rich enough already? he's looking out of touch right now to what really matters i hate to say, i say will at least owes the true fans like us that stuck around an autographed album or something, at least open up a twitter account and interact with us, that's why at this point i respect those like chuck d more than him...

Edited by bigted