JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Bomba Estéreo, Will Smith - Fiesta (Remix)[Cover Audio]

Ale

YEAHHHHH!!! :clap:

Well this is like a dream....  Feet are well and truly on the ground though.  Do you think Jeff's even aware Will is telling the world they are touring?

He may have cussed on other records, but other than "U Saw My Blinker," it was edited.  I don't care to hear him do it.  It's not that it personally bugs me much, it's that he's spent 30 years saying how truly intelligent people don't use that kind of language to express themselves. It is hypocritical. For those expecting lyrics that can be played in front of the entire family, he is a staple. He's known for that by millions. I don't want to see him throw that away, nor to a I wanna hear an album by the 'Prince that's littered with lazy, common, foul language.  Look at the comments in the news articles, social media, and YouTube, there are a significant amount of people who are quoting his lyrics, his previous interview quotes, and even Eminem's line from "The Real Slim Shady."

​I'm very much of the same opinion. He doesn't need to preach it, per se, but I think that there's no gain or benefit to him doing it, so why start now? I almost think he didn't say the word completely, but the point remains that he has so much equity built up in how he's approached rhyming that I would hate to see it dropped. Especially now that people have really moved away from hard lyrics. No one is clamoring for the G-Unit types anymore. If anything, much of popular hip hop has gotten over the "coolness" of a curse.

​what about the success of the straight up compton movie and the success of the new dr dre album? there's still some gangsta rap in mainstream today

​I think those are outliers. Important ones, absolutely, but not the trend. They all come back to a group that paved the way in that realm. It's not critical mass like it was ten years ago, where it's the norm. 

He may have cussed on other records, but other than "U Saw My Blinker," it was edited.  I don't care to hear him do it.  It's not that it personally bugs me much, it's that he's spent 30 years saying how truly intelligent people don't use that kind of language to express themselves. It is hypocritical. For those expecting lyrics that can be played in front of the entire family, he is a staple. He's known for that by millions. I don't want to see him throw that away, nor to a I wanna hear an album by the 'Prince that's littered with lazy, common, foul language.  Look at the comments in the news articles, social media, and YouTube, there are a significant amount of people who are quoting his lyrics, his previous interview quotes, and even Eminem's line from "The Real Slim Shady."

​I'm very much of the same opinion. He doesn't need to preach it, per se, but I think that there's no gain or benefit to him doing it, so why start now? I almost think he didn't say the word completely, but the point remains that he has so much equity built up in how he's approached rhyming that I would hate to see it dropped. Especially now that people have really moved away from hard lyrics. No one is clamoring for the G-Unit types anymore. If anything, much of popular hip hop has gotten over the "coolness" of a curse.

​what about the success of the straight up compton movie and the success of the new dr dre album? there's still some gangsta rap in mainstream today

​I think those are outliers. Important ones, absolutely, but not the trend. They all come back to a group that paved the way in that realm. It's not critical mass like it was ten years ago, where it's the norm. 

​Except Fetty Wap's album and singles dominate everything this year. And YG made huge waves in 2014. Gangsta Rap is as big as it always was. The difference is that modern listening habits and distribution platforms allow for more than one thing to be big, which was not so much the case in '04.

i'd rather listen to g-unit than most commercial rap today but that's beyond the point, and btw you did have conscious rappers like common, rhymefest, talib kweli, the roots, and kanye west(back when his music was good) having success in mid 2000s so there was balance, i always think there's been balance, it's just aquired taste..