Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Collateral Beauty

Mr K

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Elsewhere, Warner Bros/New Line’s Collateral Beauty is looking like a case of the box office ulgies: Pained by 13% Rotten Tomatoes reviews, it’s looking at delivering Will Smith his lowest wide-release opening of his career with $7.5M-$8M at 3,028 theaters (that’s lower than the $10.5M that Concussion made last year). This is according to industry estimates, not Warner Bros. There’s more than Rogue One to blame here for this ensemble which also stars Kate Winslet, Helen Mirren, Edward Norton, Keira Knightley and more. If Collateral Beauty is lucky, it’ll get to $10M, but that would still be low for Smith. Estimated production cost is between $36M-$38M before P&A.

• Admin

Warner Bros. release of New Line/Village Roadshow’s Collateral Beauty isn’t winning any box office pageants, on a course to be Will Smith’s lowest wide release opening of all-time with an estimated $7M at 3,028 venues in fourth after an estimated $2.4M today. That’s way under last year’s Concussion which turned in a FSS of $10.5M and finaled at $34.5M; literally a 3x multiple.  The film review headlines are worse than the box office headlines for this pic (Kyle Smith’s in the New York Post: Collateral Beauty does Collateral Damage), which is a weepie squarely aimed at females and meant to counterprogram the male dominant Rogue One. Women won’t come out to the movies until Christmas Day as they’re busy with other holiday activities, and Warner Bros. is clinging to the hope that the melodrama’s A- CinemaScore will create a halo that will counter the venomous film reviews which are at 14% Rotten.

Collateral Beauty revolves around Howard, a New York ad executive (Will Smith) who loses his daughter, and tailspins into a funk. He begins to write letters to Love, Death, and Time. His ad exec colleagues get wind of this. They’re best bet is to have him declared insane, so they can sell the company out from under him, so they hire actors to impersonate Love, Death and Time. Howard argues with them, as his associates hatch a plan, and ultimately this leads to a Kleenex finale.  Smith in the New York Post railed, “This must be the first movie ever made in which the death of a child is presented as a pesky obstacle to a corporate sale.”

well it seems like will would've been better off releasing a thought out album like lost & found and making a comeback tour with jazzy than doing this movie

I saw the movie yesterday, I am definitely convinced that the critics are out to get Will. The movie is not a masterpiece but it is not bad at all. It is moving, uplifting. Has funny moments, sad ones and moments that make you think. I feel it is original and different from all that is out there in the theaters nowadays. It has a nice message. The actors were really great in it, and Will again did a great performance like on Pursuit of happiness and concussion. I would not give it a 10/10, but I think a 7-8 out of 10 it can get, especially when you see it not as a Will Smith movie, but as a film of its genre. GO SEE IT FOR YOURSELF.