JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will working with Drake?

The whole thing is stupid to me.  Drake is a commercial singer-rapper from Canada who has other people write his lyrics.  He's also part of the wackest click of all time.  I like the FP is surrounding himself with people who make music, it's just that it's all the wrong people.

​Sounds like you don't know much about Drake or the situation at hand lol. You do realize Drake is an acclaimed writer himself and has wrote countless songs for other Rappers and Singers? And his Clique has nothing to do with his own talent as an artist. He's league's above anyone on Young Money, but they are the ones who put him on...He's allowed to have friends who are less talented than him. Same way Will Smith is allowed to form new friendships and work with those people if  he wants to. 

I will agree with you on one thing.  He is better than the rest of Young Money.  To be honest, I question the intelligence of anyone who thinks Lil' Wayne and Icky Minaj are actually talented.  I've given Drake a chance, especially when he was a newer artist.  I personally feel his flow and delivery are lazy and uninspired.  He presents his past on tracks different from how it actually was.  I just don't like him or his music and I don't respect him as an artist.

I keep reading how FP is saying he's "exploring" and how he doesn't have an actual project in the works.  If you've done a handful of songs with Kanye and a handful with Drake and you still don't have a project/album, that says a lot.  How can you work on multiple songs and not feel an album forming?  There's legends out there that FP has been friends with since the 80's and 90's.  I'm not asking him to make himself dated, but the mainstream successes of today aren't the way to go.

I think it has less to do with who he's working with and more to do with....Himself. It's been a decade since his last album and in that time he had little to no desire to ever record a serious album again. He doesn't want to put out a project just to do it. he's been working with Jeff too and is still undecided. Is that to say Jeff doesn't know or understand him? of course not...its just that Will doesn't know what he really wants to do musically, or if he even wants to do it again. He's taking time and feeling things out before he fully commits to it. Don't blame that on Kanye and Drake. Just give the man time and let him work with whoever he wants to. He seems to have formed a bond with Kanye, he's working on a relationship with Drake. Jeff will be involved, people from his past that he trusts will be involved....If he wants 40 to produce a track featuring Drake then let him. It won't compromise who he is. If there is one thing I've learned about Will in the several years I've been a fan its that he won't sell out who he is or compromise himself for anyone. Working with Drake doesn't mean he's trying to sell out for mainstream success. It more likely means he met him, worked with him, liked what he heard, liked how he worked and wants to collaborate with him. You don't see him running to Lil Wayne, or the likes....That's because I think It has less to do with what's commercially successful and more to do with what he likes. And if Will is a fan of Drake's music and wants to work with him I don't see a problem with that. 

Edited by Vipa

I will agree with you on one thing.  He is better than the rest of Young Money.  To be honest, I question the intelligence of anyone who thinks Lil' Wayne and Icky Minaj are actually talented.  I've given Drake a chance, especially when he was a newer artist.  I personally feel his flow and delivery are lazy and uninspired.  He presents his past on tracks different from how it actually was.  I just don't like him or his music and I don't respect him as an artist.

I keep reading how FP is saying he's "exploring" and how he doesn't have an actual project in the works.  If you've done a handful of songs with Kanye and a handful with Drake and you still don't have a project/album, that says a lot.  How can you work on multiple songs and not feel an album forming?  There's legends out there that FP has been friends with since the 80's and 90's.  I'm not asking him to make himself dated, but the mainstream successes of today aren't the way to go.

​i'm with you aj, rappers like drake and meek mill are so weak that they make rappers like 50 cent and ja rule look like big daddy kane and rakim ....they're the "lost" rappers will was referring to on "lost & found"...btw, the classic hip hop sound is more instyle than the current hip hop sound is, people  want that classic hiphop, as long as it's the the classic JJFP sound it's all good...

btw i just checked that pic on Will's FB and noticed that a lot of people are bashing will in the comments for rolling with lame rappers