JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Basketball Season is here!!!

3cookies

I'm not into basketball anymore. It just feels like the NBA has lost it'z edge since Michael Jordan left back in '98. Not those other retirements. He shouldn't have came back. I was so happy I saw an actual historical moment in basketball. NBA don't got that heart anymore. And I hated that the NBA was all about the Lakers. That had their own West All Stars Roster. And didn't win the championship. They got their butts whooped. And everybody was still talkin bout the Lakers. Basketball sucks now. So much 4 role models huh?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire '90s was such a great era of basketball, it wasn't just Michael Jordan 'cause he had a lot of competition, even the teams that missed the playoffs had a lot of talent, I was chatting with Tim about this yesterday, the '96 Charlotte Hornets had great players on it: Larry Johnson, Glen Rice, Dell Curry, Robert Parish, and Mugsy Bogues, not a bad starting 5, and Kenny Anderson filled in when Mugsy Bogues was hurt that year! :rock: They missed the playoffs though, but I bet they would've been the best team in the East if it were '04(at least until now when Shaq is on the Heat), that's how bad the talent has gotten, that's why I feel sad everytime one of the players that I grew up watching is now retiring 'cause there's not enough young talent comin' in anymore, players like Carmelo Anthony and Lebron James will never get to Michael Jordan or Dominique Wilkins legendary status. But there are some good role models in the NBA though we just don't here that much about it as we should, the other day on ESPN2 I saw Robert Parish go on there and talk about how he's starting a charity to help people that have spinal cord problems but you know they won't ever mention that again like they would if he were caught having drugs on him, you see controversy sells more than anything and that's sad! :sad6: Dikembe Mutombo donates millions of dollars of his NBA salary to build a hospital to help sick children to Africa but that doesn't get emphasised as much as a Lebron James sneaker commercial, Mutombo should be the one that gets paid $100 Million 'cause he uses his money to help others and that's what more should do! :ditto:

The Raptors had an awesome team 4 years ago when Mugsy was playing for them, they had: Vince Carter, Charles Oakley, Tracy Mcgrady, Mugsy Bogues, Dell Curry, Jerome Williams( aka junk yard dawg), and Kevin Willis(he's played with a lot of different teams in his 20 year career), they were upset in the 1st round though by the NY Knicks who lost in the Eastern Conference Finals to the Pacers, time sure flies, that felt like yesterday, I can remember Funkmaster Flex talking on Hot 97 about how Reggie Miller beat the Knicks again! :kekeke:

Speaking about little guys I'm amazed about how Spudd Webb beat Dominique Wilkins in the slam dunk competition in the '80s, he's only 5'7 and he won over one of the greatest dunkers of all time, he musta had a mini-trampelene in his sneakers to get that high! :kekeke:

[quote=bigted,Oct 4 2004, 07:48 AM]Speaking about little guys I'm amazed about how Spudd Webb beat Dominique Wilkins in the slam dunk competition in the '80s, he's only 5'7 and he won over one of the greatest dunkers of all time, he musta had a mini-trampelene in his sneakers to get that high! :kekeke:[/quote]
[font="Arial"][color=blue]LMBO..yea, I remember back in da day with those slam dunk contests... it tripped me out too when lil bitty ol Spud beat Dominique out. haha...

"Nique WAS tha High FlyiN HAwk..." :kekeke:

peace,
3cookies [/color][/font]

Hey I'm 5 inches taller than Spud Webb and I still can't dunk! :lolsign:

I'm a die hard Wizards follower. Never miss anything wherever possible (and that's actually a lot living in the UK..)

But I've followed the Lakers, and Magic for many, many years. I guess I'm a fan of em but over all I'm a Wizards fan.

This yeah I'm gonna be watching the Heat too I think ;)

scottie pippen retired today :tear: .... after MJ, he is my fav player and i'm really disapointed he didn't got the chance of leading a team of is own.

i hope he'll become the coach of the bulls and lead them to championship!!! :switch:

all praise scottie :bowdown:

:werd: I got the article from NBA.com right here:

Pippen Announces Retirement

Six-Time NBA Champion Calls It Quits After 17 Seasons

October 5, 2004 -- The Chicago Bulls announced today Scottie Pippen has retired.

“This was a very difficult decision for me to retire from playing a game that has been such a great part of my life. My family and I would like to thank the fans and the entire Chicago Bulls organization, especially Jerry Reinsdorf and John Paxson, for bringing me back to where I started,” said Pippen. “I am retiring, but I still plan on being around for training camp to help this team. After 17 years, it’s tough for me to just walk away completely.”

Pippen, 39, played in 1,178 games and averaged 16.1 ppg, 6.4 rpg and 5.2 apg and 1.96 spg during an illustrious career that placed him among the NBA’s 50 Greatest Players of all-time in 1996 and brought the Bulls six NBA World Championship titles. His 208 career playoff appearances rank second in NBA history behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s 237. Pippen led his teams to post-season appearances in each of his first 16 seasons and compiled NBA Playoff averages of 17.5 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 5.2 apg and 1.96 spg in 208 games.

“Scottie Pippen is one of the greatest Chicago Bulls of all time. His contributions to this franchise during his tenure here have been innumerable,” said Bulls Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf. “As an organization we thank him for everything. To fully recognize what he has meant to this organization, we plan to have a day in his honor and retire his number 33 at a future date to be determined.”

“Scottie Pippen is the epitome of a true professional. He is a great teammate and a winner who is one of the best to ever wear a Bulls uniform,” said Bulls Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations John Paxson. “Our decision to bring Scottie back last summer served us well and it is unfortunate he will not be a leader of our team again this year. Scottie will always be a part of the Chicago Bulls family and we wish him nothing but the best.”

During his 12 years in a Bulls uniform, Pippen has affixed his name at or very near the top of every major statistical category in franchise history. He is the team’s all-time leader in 3-point field goals (664) and 3-point field goal attempts (2,031) and ranks second in 12 other categories.

His career numbers have also placed him atop the NBA’s all-time leader board in many statistical categories, including 40th in points (18,940), fourth in steals (2,307), 23rd in assists (6,135) and 13th in minutes played (41,069).

Originally drafted by the Seattle SuperSonics in the first round (fifth overall) of the 1987 NBA Draft, Pippen’s draft rights were traded to Chicago for the draft rights to Olden Polynice and future considerations. The 6-8, 228-pound forward/guard spent his first 11 seasons in the NBA with the Bulls and played a significant role in bringing six World Championships to Chicago. The Bulls dealt Pippen to the Houston Rockets on Jan. 22, 1999, in exchange for Roy Rogers and a conditional second-round draft selection. After spending the shortened 1999 season with the Rockets, Houston sent him to the Portland Trail Blazers for Walt Williams, Stacey Augmon, Kelvin Cato, Ed Gray, Carlos Rogers and Brian Shaw on Oct. 2, 1999. Pippen played four seasons in Portland before returning to Chicago as a free agent on July 20, 2003.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: Happy retirement Pip, you should stay and coach the Bulls this year and take 'em back to the playoffs, I'd love to see you play again but I don't wanna see you hurt! :ditto:

• Members

This season is gonna be nuts! With all the trades that happened this summer, the east is gonna be great! And no one really knows how its gonna turn out.... Think about it, here's just a bit of the players that were traded or that changed teams...

Shaq, Tracy Mcgrady, Steve Francis, Steve Nash, Erick Dampier, Kenyon Martin, Gary Payton, Rick Fox, Dikembe Mutumbo, Antoine Walker, Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, Odom, Butler and Brian Grant, Rafer Alston, Stackhouse, Antawn Jamison....

Just to name a few....

I CAN"T WAIT!

YEa...im definately lookign forward to this season's games. I was just talking to Kev just a coupla hours ago... hahah ...I'mma make a post and put up a coupla pics for anyone that may be interested. It was just after The Hawks practice today. Me and Kev sat down to talk n catch up (big bro/lil sis convo....personal matters) after they all were signing autographs for fans...

peace,

3cookies

Edited by 3cookies

I was just watching Game 2 of the WNBA Finals on ESPN2 between the Conneticut Sun and the Seattle Storm(in case y'all didn't know), it was a great game too, for a while it looked like Seattle was gonna blow Conneticut but the Sun made a comeback at the end of the game and the Storm won 67-65, the winner on Tuesday night wins the WNBA championship, they're just as exciting as watching the NBA Playoffs, they got skills! BTW, I got NBA2k5 the other day for my PS2, it's dope, Scottie Pippen's still on the Bulls in the game! :rock: I'd love go to an NBA practice and meet some of the players, it sounds like u had a lot of fun 2day there! :switch:

scottie pippen retired today :tear: .... after MJ, he is my fav player and i'm really disapointed he didn't got the chance of leading a team of is own.

i hope he'll become the coach of the bulls and lead them to championship!!! :switch:

all praise scottie :bowdown:

Pippen was my 2nd favorite player too. I'm from Chicago so I go to experience the Bulls' dynasty up close and personal. It always seemed to me that Scottie didn't get the props he deserved from the Chicago media and some of the fans here in Chicago. I constantly defended Scottie in basketball debates. Scottie Pippen was one of the greatest NBA to ever play. He revolutionized the small forward position. Here you had a guy who could shoot, pass, dribble, rebound, run the offense and defend... FROM THE SMALL FORWARD POSITION. He was the K.G.(Kevin Garnett) of the 90's.

I think Scottie was just as important to those 6 titles as MJ was. He definitely had a great career and he is a sure first ballot Hall Of Famer.

As far as fave teams go, I'll always be a Bulls fan first and foremost. I guess my other team would be the Spurs because Tim Duncan is my favorite player in the league right now.

Oh by the way, LAKERS SUCK!!!!

:thumb: