JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Lost & Found 10 Year Anniversary Thread

bigted

Hopefully with this album being at the 10th anniversary it brings Will some urgency to get more music out there soon, can't believe that one of my favorite albums ever came out this long ago, there's been very few albums in hip hop and music in general that been up to this level since:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_and_Found_(Will_Smith_album)

While listening to the album right now I still get chills listening to TELL ME WHY just like I did when I heard it the first time, it'd been one of the biggest singles of all time if it were officially released:

I've actually been listening to the album on repeat the last week or so. It's crazy how it's been 10 years since this album came out. Who would've thought 10 years later, we'd still be waiting for a follow-up album. It's just so disheartening when I think about that fact. 

Ok back to the album. My favorite track is definitely Party Starter. This hasn't changed since I first heard the album. It sucks how long Interscope waited to release a second single. I remember it felt like all-eternity while Switch soared and remained at the top of the charts. If I remember correctly, Party Starter had a short run on the charts and I used to hear it on the radio too. Tell Me Why should've definitely been the second single as planned. What was the reason again? It was "too political" or something? That's just BS to me. 

I'm not going to do a track-by-track review but I'd give this album a 8/10. The core of the album is definitely Ms.Holy Roller, Tell Me Why, Lost & Found, I Wish I Made That/Swagga...those 4 songs are rock solid in-terms of lyrics and substance. A few songs like Scary Story and Chosen One (great lyrics - horrible beat), Switch (Reggae Remix) bring the album down in my opinion. I also wish some of the tracks were longer. Songs like Here He Comes, I Wish I Made That/Swagga (2 songs in 1 - wish it was 2 full length songs) are great but just too short. I feel like some of Will's best tracks are entirely short songs. Willenium for exampe had the Interlude on the song Potnas...that beat was incredible but why just a minute long? Born to Reign the title track was under 2 minutes...come on Will! I also wish Will's second verse on Pump Ya Brakes was a lot better. He could've done much more with it. Too much "boy this, girl that.." in my opinion.

However, my biggest disappointment is the lack of Jazzy. I wish he had done production work for more than one track. 

Overall, this was a good album and it was a strong comeback album for Will. 

• Admin

I've actually been listening to the album on repeat the last week or so. It's crazy how it's been 10 years since this album came out. Who would've thought 10 years later, we'd still be waiting for a follow-up album. It's just so disheartening when I think about that fact. 

Ok back to the album. My favorite track is definitely Party Starter. This hasn't changed since I first heard the album. It sucks how long Interscope waited to release a second single. I remember it felt like all-eternity while Switch soared and remained at the top of the charts. If I remember correctly, Party Starter had a short run on the charts and I used to hear it on the radio too. Tell Me Why should've definitely been the second single as planned. What was the reason again? It was "too political" or something? That's just BS to me. 

I'm not going to do a track-by-track review but I'd give this album a 8/10. The core of the album is definitely Ms.Holy Roller, Tell Me Why, Lost & Found, I Wish I Made That/Swagga...those 4 songs are rock solid in-terms of lyrics and substance. A few songs like Scary Story and Chosen One (great lyrics - horrible beat), Switch (Reggae Remix) bring the album down in my opinion. I also wish some of the tracks were longer. Songs like Here He Comes, I Wish I Made That/Swagga (2 songs in 1 - wish it was 2 full length songs) are great but just too short. I feel like some of Will's best tracks are entirely short songs. Willenium for exampe had the Interlude on the song Potnas...that beat was incredible but why just a minute long? Born to Reign the title track was under 2 minutes...come on Will! I also wish Will's second verse on Pump Ya Brakes was a lot better. He could've done much more with it. Too much "boy this, girl that.." in my opinion.

However, my biggest disappointment is the lack of Jazzy. I wish he had done production work for more than one track. 

Overall, this was a good album and it was a strong comeback album for Will. 

​Yeah it is frightening to think it has been 10 years,,, I mean Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince released 5 albums in 7 years. 86-93.. and Will released nothing in 10! Super disappointing especially since we know he has been recording.

exactly my brothers, if you told me in 2005 that in 2015 we'd still be waiting for a followup i'd say you're nuts 'cause he was coming with so much fire and passion that i really thought it was gonna be a breakthrough for his career, the state of hip hop is also much worse than it was back then, maybe that's also a reason why he might not be so motivated anymore though