JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

New MC Hammer video "Don't Go", DEEP!

bigted

this is one of the realest songs i heard in quite awhile, hopefully this will get some attention over some of the lame pop rap out these days

Wow, I love this.  Coincidentally, I popped Too Legit To Quit in the CD deck on the drive home today.  I hate that one of the emcees with one of the biggest hearts is looked down on by some because of his massive success in the late 80's and early 90's.  This is a beautiful song.  The simplicity is perfect and unlike anything he's ever done before.  Touching lyrics, and understated sound with live instruments, and great soulful vocals on the hook.  I'm so happy with this new song.

too legit to quit is one of my favorite albums from the 1990s, it seems like he's taking it back to that high level with this single!

on another note related to hammer as i was browsing youtube i found the rare family affair album i've been looking for years, gonna listen to it today:

The Family Affair album was only released on his website back in 1998.  I love the album, though it's a true Hip-Hop/Gospel album in the sense that he isn't rhyming on every song.  Sometimes I just wanna hear the Hip-Hop songs on it.  I a dubbed copy that was advertised as the real thing, so I'm hoping to find an affordable REAL copy some day.  A handful of these songs were on his Too Tight album he did with 2Pac and Deathrow.  He re-wrote some of them and tweaked the production some on the tracks that moved to this album.

some of the album sounds like things that kirk franklin does but i dig it man...

• 2 months later...

Hammer released a couple new tracks recently "Still Water", another deep song:

...and "Be Me", a futuristic dance song:

I wonder where MC Hammer stands on his music career.  He just doesn't seem to WANT to have a stable career, which is unfortunate.  I don't expect him to take over the charts again, but he has enough of a following, and with how music is on the internet, he could easily get new fans....especially since so many people are thirsting for the 90's.  If he was actually releasing albums properly and doing some shows, he could have a presence in the industry. I can only assume he doesn't want that.

I love "Still Water."  It's an amazing song. "Be Me" is a filler track in my book, but it's not bad.

well i think like a lot of artists from the '90s i don't think mc hammer has anything to prove, he releases music on his own terms 'cause he enjoys it, not that he has to, as fans we wanna see our favorite artists constantly put out albums but actually over recent years it's more understandable why they don't... like will other legends like mc hammer are spending time enjoying their success and spending time with their family while occasionally doing shows and i think with the respect that fans have for '90s hip hop that there's always gonna be a place in the game for the legends, this is a marathon not a sprint, while today's garbage rappers in their 20s and 30s are burning out putting out weak music the legends are running the race gracefully as they're getting into their 40s and 50s...

another new song from hammer, keepin it smooth:

• 1 year later...

i've checked out his soundcloud page for the first time in awhile after reading a comment he made on twitter saying he's been doing a ton of recording lately and i see some new tracks on there, 21 total there, now the latest "no beefs" from last month is quite impressive, give credit to the man for not giving up, hope he gets some more credit while he's alive still, like treach said once "does a mfer gotta die to get airplay?":