JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Is Will Smith getting jiggy again?

Hero1

• Admin

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/is-will-smith-making-a-musical-comeback/story-e6frfn09-1227218024606

Is Will Smith making a musical comeback?
  • 2 HOURS AGO FEBRUARY 13, 2015 6:41AM

WILL Smith may be Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It again.

He says he’s hoping to return to hip-hop and never stopped recording privately.

Smith, whose last solo album was released in 2005, and Kanye West were photographed in a recording studio together in Brazil last February.

“Oh, so you know. You’ve been paying attention?” the 46-year-old actor said in a recent interview.

“I did a fun thing with Jimmy Fallon the other night messing with music, so you know, I got the bug. I might see if I got one more in me.”

Smith was the MC of the hip-hop duo DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince with his childhood friend Jeffrey “DJ Jazzy Jeff” Townes.

He starred in the TV series The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. His films include Ali, The Pursuit of Happyness and the Men in Black movies.

024526-6a9666ba-b2ef-11e4-89a7-658c9eaa8

Smith won a Grammy for Gettin Jiggy Wit It. Source: AP

024578-6eac8198-b2f0-11e4-89a7-658c9eaa8

Smith won a Grammy for Men In Black. Source: Getty Images

“Over the years I’ve always recorded,” he said. “Yeah, tons of songs. But ... it’s nothing I like. Recording will be a part of my life forever whether or not I feel that something is of the quality for public consumption.”

His new film, the crime comedy Focus, will be in theatres on March 5.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will needs to stop playing games and release more of his music to us true fans, like i've been saying for years he should put out a mixtape of new material, waiting 10 years for something new in this day and age is unheard of, as one of the greatest mcs of all time i'm sure even his worst stuff is better than most of today's rappers best stuff, but this is encouraging to know that there's more music on the way and this solidifies the last 10 years of posting on this forum waiting for this day!

• Admin

will needs to stop playing games and release more of his music to us true fans, like i've been saying for years he should put out a mixtape of new material, waiting 10 years for something new in this day and age is unheard of, as one of the greatest mcs of all time i'm sure even his worst stuff is better than most of today's rappers best stuff, but this is encouraging to know that there's more music on the way and this solidifies the last 10 years of posting on this forum waiting for this day!

I don't want Will to put out weak material though.

I don't want Will to put out weak material though.

i'm sure will did more songs like 'from da south', 'chosen one', and 'holla back' than weak songs though, btw if he's been recording over the last 10 years there should be enough material already where he could put out the new album asap(example: a surprise album like beyonce, even drake did that yesterday)

Edited by bigted

Back in the 90's when he came back with Big Willie Style he said he's always recording. I'm really curious how these unreleased songs have. Since he does them himself, it's unlikely we'll ever hear them leaked. Only songs that he's collaborated with or done under the umbrella of a record label even have the chance of leaking. I'm doubtful these songs are very lacking. When I'd hear unreleased 2Pac and Michael Jackson stuff, I'd always be thinking "this is essentially album-worthy."

To me music starts as an internal project, but it ultimately becomes something you want to share. I'd love to know his mind state for continuously making music without the intent of releasing it. I guess it's easier to do it just for fun when you have film as an outlet. Mark Wahlburg also has multiple albums he's recorded without the intention of releasing. In many ways acting/film is a killer of music.

acting isn't really an exuse for ll cool j and ice cube though, they still put out new material and tour even though they act a lot these days but after reading about will's pops having cancer maybe spending time with family is a more real priority for him these days

• Members

Back in the 90's when he came back with Big Willie Style he said he's always recording. I'm really curious how these unreleased songs have. Since he does them himself, it's unlikely we'll ever hear them leaked. Only songs that he's collaborated with or done under the umbrella of a record label even have the chance of leaking. I'm doubtful these songs are very lacking. When I'd hear unreleased 2Pac and Michael Jackson stuff, I'd always be thinking "this is essentially album-worthy."

To me music starts as an internal project, but it ultimately becomes something you want to share. I'd love to know his mind state for continuously making music without the intent of releasing it. I guess it's easier to do it just for fun when you have film as an outlet. Mark Wahlburg also has multiple albums he's recorded without the intention of releasing. In many ways acting/film is a killer of music.

He really had a song with 'Pac?

Abdul, I wasn't saying he did a song with 2Pac. I was trying to say that when I hear 2Pac's and MJ's unreleased music, it's good (or you can at least see where they were going to go with it). I was saying that I imagine FP's unreleased work is probably really good as well.

Big Ted, acting DOES get in the way. As an artistic person, you are satisfied when you are working and when your work is getting out there. The satisfaction of his film work allows his focus on music to be scattered and not amount to anything. I have all of LL's and Ice Cube's albums, but I'd be lying if I said all of their recent music is on the level of their previous music. Other endeavors lead to somewhat lacking music here and there.

Will Smith “Exploring” New Music With Kanye West and Son Jaden
posted by Graham on February 12, 2015 in News
1 of 3

After receiving a little pep talk from his son, Will Smith may be returning to music after a ten-year absence. Smith the Elder told reporters as much at a London screening of his new film Focus.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do yet but I’m exploring. I’m in a creative ceiling. My son tells me I have to write out the things I don’t like. I can’t write and stop, I have to keep going and going and write them out. I’ve never worked like that before but I think I might give that a shot.

Jaden Smith is no stranger to these pigeon pages. His latest EP continues a string of strong releases that always explore something new. Will Smith’s last album was 2005’s Lost and Found, but he’s in an adventurous mood these days, having returned to acting with Focus after a two-year absence.

It sounds like he’s been writing already, telling reporters “I went into the studio with Kanye. I’m thinking about it.” Watch the video from the red carpet below:

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2015/02/will-smith-exploring-new-music-with-kanye-west-and-son-jaden/

I respectfully disagree with you AJ, you know how much I respect you and your opinion of music but LL Cool J and Ice Cube have careers that are going strong as ever in BOTH music and film... LL's hosting the Grammy Awards, doing NCIS Los Angeles for 6 years on CBS and I'd put his "Authentic" album up there against a lot of his best material musically, the record sales might reflect that but hey nobody's selling 10 million albums in 2015 anymore, I don't see that many rappers being as creative going on a 15th album in "GOAT 2", that's right he's still at a creative peak right now and of course Ice Cube been doing his thing with films like "Ride Along" and albums like "Laugh Now and Cry Later", and to top it off "Kings Of The Mic tour"(which I'll probably regret for the rest of my life not seeing live but that was not a good year for me personally so I couldn't) in 2013 was one of the top tours in music with Public Enemy and De La Soul, people still respect real artists! Will's sorta stalled in his career over the past few years to let his children and wife do their thing, plus hearing about his father having cancer shines light on why he's been away as well....

I respectfully disagree with you AJ, you know how much I respect you and your opinion of music but LL Cool J and Ice Cube have careers that are going strong as ever in BOTH music and film... LL's hosting the Grammy Awards, doing NCIS Los Angeles for 6 years on CBS and I'd put his "Authentic" album up there against a lot of his best material musically, the record sales might reflect that but hey nobody's selling 10 million albums in 2015 anymore, I don't see that many rappers being as creative going on a 15th album in "GOAT 2", that's right he's still at a creative peak right now and of course Ice Cube been doing his thing with films like "Ride Along" and albums like "Laugh Now and Cry Later", and to top it off "Kings Of The Mic tour"(which I'll probably regret for the rest of my life not seeing live but that was not a good year for me personally so I couldn't) in 2013 was one of the top tours in music with Public Enemy and De La Soul, people still respect real artists! Will's sorta stalled in his career over the past few years to let his children and wife do their thing, plus hearing about his father having cancer shines light on why he's been away as well....

I gotta agree with AJ here. I'm a fan of LL and Ice Cube but both have been inconsistent with there music the last few years. Effectively you can't water a plant whenever you feel like it. When you go away on a trip and come back to water that plant it's not the same. If you leave your craft and come back, you come back to where you left off, so there's very limited growth. When you look at artists who've stuck to there craft with their entire focus you see growth, you see artists that have gotten better as they've aged (I.E. De La, Pharoahe Monch). That being said, it sounds as if Will has never stopped and has continually made music so there's a chance that he's grown as a musician. I would prefer that he'd just spend time with Jazzy, who's also not quit the craft, and let their own magic occur. When you listen to a lot of hip-hop albums now a days they lack cohesion. These albums are riddled with a number of different sounds rather then one consistent vibe which I think the product overall suffers, which is why I would like to see the album solely produced by Jazzy. I think its the main fault of Lost and Found, lack of consistency, something I believe even Jazzy has touched on in the past when he's mentioned Will being surrounded by people who are afraid to tell him that somethings not working, which is another reason I'd like to see Jazzy take control of any future album by Will. In the end even Will has admitted (his usual excuse for lack of music) that when you split your focus they both suffer.

The era of classic hip hop albums has been gone for about the last 15 years or so, most hip hop albums I listen to are from either the 80s/90s or artists that came out in 80s/90s that're still in the game, I understand how things are more watered down now, and I think that the true fans of hip hop respect the true artists but society as a whole doesn't really seem to think that hip hop matters anymore, veterans like LL and Ice Cube have done the best they could do in recent years given the circumstances in keeping the essence alive, artists from their era know how to make albums while today's artists only make singles...btw, There was this interesting chat on twitter by pbs newshour talking about the state of the music industry and the moderator posed the question about do you think if albums matter and I said I believe they still mean something to the true artists who do it for the art(not the charts like my signature still implies after all these years)but I believe that for the artists looking for a quick buck they're only concerned about hit singles, the digital age has tarnished the essence of real music somewhat but aspiring artists like me have a bigger platform to express themselves at the same time...