JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

On 3 August 2016 at 9:05 PM, Jazzy Julie said:

I rarely listen to reviews. If fans come out of the cinema and say it's bad, then I'm worried, until then, I still think this is Will's "comeback". 

Also listening to what Will says about Trump is amazing. He must feel passionate about it because he rarely slags anyone off. 

The box office numbers and Wills performance prove your 'comeback' theory. Public reviews (the people that really matter) are saying he and Margot carried the film. It's proof if Will gets in an eagerly anticipated movie and performs well, his fans will flock and begin to look forward to his future projects. 

We get so hell bent on the fact he hasn't made music that we almost will his movies to fail. Beside the critics reviews, this is a roaring success at the box office and a personal gain in Wills career as an actor to know he can still be part of a summer block buster. 

After Earth sucked, Focus wasn't amazing but it was watchable. Concussion was kept under wraps largely by the NFL popularity and ignorance of the issue it addresses, but Will was fantastic in it (minus accent). 

I don't see where the decline of his career is. He's in what will probably be the biggest movie of the summer, Collateral Beauty will probably get Oscar attention and Bright is going straight to Netflix which is probably the largest growing audience movie watching option in the world right now. Couple that with the Bad Boys franchise continuing, which will get attention just coz it's Bad Boys, regardless of if Bay is involved. I'd say his movie career looks pretty healthy. 

He's also part of the Suicide Squad franchise now too, so that will have him occupied and in good condition at the box office any time a new movie or spin off is released. 

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to say my opinion about the movie. As expected, LOVED IT. Will and Margot steal the show, and the movie is full of action and great moments of comedy. Pure entertainment. Plus, I think all the characters are very appealing, so it's easy to empathize with them.

The only negative part for me is that some characters need more development, especially The Joker. I've read that they are more than 20 deleted scenes, some of them key to understand certain moments of the movie, but sadly they didn't make the final cut. Hopefully they will be included in the DVD/Blu-ray.

All things considered, I strongly believe that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, and, personally, I think this is one of Will's most enjoyable movies. His best since 'I Am Legend', in my opinion, and definitely in my Top 5. And I'll say it again: Harley Quinn is fantastic in the movie. I'm sure this won't be the last time we'll see Margot playing this role. She "kills" it.

I give the movie 9/10. I'll watch it again soon.

Edited by Ale

I went to see it yesterday and I liked it. It felt like a Will Smith movie... I thought he would just have some scenes in this movie but it's basically all about him and Margot. So I was suprised!

Will this be in my top 5 of WS movies? Not really, but it's still a fun movie to watch!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I enjoyed the movie. Will Smith was Will Smith in it, not Deadshot. He talks so much about the "art" that he creates and puts out to the world like is the next big thing, but it turns out that in his movies he's been creating the same "art" since the Fresh Prince years.

7 hours ago, Pocoto said:

I enjoyed the movie. Will Smith was Will Smith in it, not Deadshot. He talks so much about the "art" that he creates and puts out to the world like is the next big thing, but it turns out that in his movies he's been creating the same "art" since the Fresh Prince years.

While I agree with you to some extent (Will playing himself in some of his movies, mainly due to his charisma), I wouldn't say he hasn't delivered great performances. 'Ali', 'The Pursuit Of Happyness' or 'Concussion' are good examples.

• Members

Same frustration with his music. First the Fiesta remix and then Caution in the Wild, since neither generated any buzz (and neither felt to me like a Will Smith song) then the whole world tour and new album fell apart. Same thing with Lost and Found, all that talk about loving hip hop and music and then when the album doesn't do well commercially than he "retires" for more than 10 years...

What ever happen to the Will that wanted to represent an idea (see Travis Smiley interview), that wanted to represent possibilities.... I think that as successful as he is, he's just afraid. Afraid of releasing music and not selling (who cares), and afraid of taking different roles in his movies (Deadshot was supposed to be a villain, not the super charismatic, emotional and funny guy).

He used to be a role model for me since the Fresh Prince years. Now I prefer the old Will and not this full of doubts movie personality who looks for inspiration in jackasses like Kanye West...