JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Big Ted's Top 15 Hip Hop Albums Since 2000

bigted

I think we all feel that the best Hip-Hop albums came out in the 90's, but that's no reason to attack someone's opinion. People have different taste and albums speak to different people in different ways.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss having the thorough music discussions on the board, sure facebook and twitter are good time occupiers but there's nothing like coming on here having music discussions with the real heads so feedback would be appreciated, try to come up with ur own list too if possible...

No frontin'... but are you serious? There's a lot of stuff that don't even deserve to be in a Top 300 list... as you say, Blueprint 2 - can only be the memories, there are mostly filler-tracks, not even close to Blueprint or Black Album! Game's R.E.D. Album is the worst of his LPs... last good album of LL was G.O.A.T., especially Todd Smith and Authentic are horrible! Eve-Olution?? Press Play?? Holy crap... these DJ Kay Slay and Clue albums were good, but never best 100 or 200 albums of the past 14 years... Wyclef, Nelly, Lil Kim, Ja Rule - I even like some of the albums but there's so much better stuff that it seems like a joke to mention it here! The Massacre was pretty bad too, except like 5 tracks or sumthin'! Don't take it personally but it seems like you missed a lot of good stuff if these are your favorite albums after 2000... although I also think that the best rap albums came out in the 90's!

i'm not brainwashed by what everyone else feels and if my list is so bad then why don't you post a list, like aj mentioned we all have albums that stick with us more than others, i have an eclectic taste in hip hop, i try to give everything out there a chance 'cause you know we want people to give will's music a fair shot, LL's last good album was G.O.A.T.? each of LL's albums have some songs that stick with certain people as well that's why he's still around today, he's working on his 15th album now so he's still gotta be doing something right to be around, if you say LL fell off after GOAT did you listen to the albums or just the singles?,,... i know i was gonna get flack for listing albums like 50's the massacre but i looked past the weak singles and actually gave that album a fair listen and it actually flows harder than you may think, if you judge an artist off of singles alone then you don't get the full picture and you wouldn't be posting on the board as a will smith fan 'cause you'd say will smith fell off after summertime, i even listened to lil' wayne, drake, and rick ross albums, though they ain't legends to me i try to give everyone a fair shot.... personally though my heart is with the 80s/90s golden era of hip hop and i fight the hardest for the legends of that era like LL, Will, KRS, and Chuck D who are the pioneers of the game, I know rappers like Jay-Z and Eminem have skills but I'm not brainwashed to act like they're the only rappers that existed and that they surpassed what everyone did but I still acknowledge them...btw I know KRS gets respect for mostly music from the 80s and the 90s with all his classics but besides LL, Fresh Prince, Chuck D, and Nas, really they're all tied as my favorite emcee of all time as a matter of fact, but the point I wanna make is out of the 20+ album career my favorite album from him is "Spiritual Minded" 'cause it's the album that helped me discover my spirituality and get closer to God when it was released around the time my grandmother passed away on December 2001 and after the events of September 11th 2001, it was a dark period of my life but that album got me through so much and I'm getting emotional as I'm typing this but that's real talk, if people wanna criticise hip hop and say that it's not real music then they need to listen to that album and they'll be sorely mistaken 'cause if it wasn't for it I don't know where I'd be today, REAL TALK, i wanna leave y'all with the 2 songs that got me through the rain:

and one more point i wanna make before i sign off to go to bed tonight, with deep interspective songs on game's "red album" like "california dream" and dr. dre narrating it plays out like a movie, to me he's one of the modern rappers that knows how to put out classics:

Ok, first of all... like I said, I didn't want to attack someone personally and I hope Ted's not taking it that way! It was just kinda funny to me when he wroted the albums of his list were 'underrated' or 'slept on' cause to me nearly everybody who is interested in hip hop knows about 95% of them and most of them are just not good enough for a top 50 list! Although I even like some of them, for example Pain Is Love, Gods Son, Eminem Show etc., I even got Nellyville (how's that better than Country Grammar??) but most of the stuff I just wouldn't mention when it came to the best 15 or 20 LPs of the 00's! By the way, you are wrong if you think I only judge over the singles, I heard every album I criticized and I don't said that there are ZERO good tracks on 'em, but 3 or 4 outstanding tracks don't make a good album to me! If you break it down on Game, I bought every of his albums, except R.E.D. cause I didn't like it as an album! And G.O.A.T. was the last album of LL that I could listen to from A to Z... of course there were a few good tracks on every release but to me they were no good albums! So I feel what you say but I don't judge like that... I listen to everything when I got the time! I hated Drake most of the time but he kinda surprised me with that Nothing Was The Same LP, which I think is really good... Lil Wayne (to me) fell off after Tha Carter 2 but that's when he gain his major success, I'm not 'against' commercial or underground rap, I listen to everything if it's good music! And I will come up with a list, stay tuned...

this thread has seemed to do it's purpose of bring some discussion and like i said i'm not phased by what everyone else feels when it comes to what I think is a classic album and no matter what you tell me here 10th prince i'm not gonna feel differently or redo my list just to please you 'cause this is my list and what I like to listen to the most, now if you make a list go ahead and make one but of course if you're gonna keep criticising me for my opinion then I'm gonna keep defending myself, have a nice day!

this thread has seemed to do it's purpose of bring some discussion and like i said i'm not phased by what everyone else feels when it comes to what I think is a classic album and no matter what you tell me here 10th prince i'm not gonna feel differently or redo my list just to please you 'cause this is my list and what I like to listen to the most, now if you make a list go ahead and make one but of course if you're gonna keep criticising me for my opinion then I'm gonna keep defending myself, have a nice day!

All good... it was never my intention that you want to please me or redo your list! When I saw it I just had the feeling to say something 'cause I feel different about some of the albums... maybe it was a bit over the top but at least it made me sign up to the board for the first time in many years! I also have to say that I agree with you when it comes to Cubes Laugh Now, Cry Later (surprisingly good album at that time) and Gang Starrs The Ownerz... just noticed the posts!

yeah it's all good, i noticed some people that haven't been posting that much in recent years have made posts in this thread which is refreshing, the late 90s/early 2000s(1999-2003) which was the time i was in high school had some classic music, i know this is before 2000 but in 1999 there was 3 standout albums from 3 of my top 10 favorite mcs of all time worth mentioning:

the late great heavy d released "heavy" which had the outstanding track "on point" featuring another late big pun and 8 ball:

rakim released "the master" with songs displaying his classic flow like "when i be on the mic"":

and last but not least the great storyteller besides will is the ruler slick rick who dropped "the art of storytelling" with one of my all time favorites "street talkin" featuring one of my favorite groups outkast:

now a lot of us complain about how the state of hip hop ain't the same as the 80s and 90s but we gotta keep in mind that rappers like lil' wayne and drake help hip hop maintain being mainstream just like mc hammer and vanilla ice did back then, gradually the kids who listen to the commercial stuff grow up and discover more music besides that so keep that in mind when you complain, i just try to enjoy what i like and not pay what i don't like no mind

30 Hip Hop albums by 30 artists and groups that I loved in the 00's. No order, not more than one album from the same artist to keep it more diverse.
Kanye West - Late Registration
Jay Z - The Blueprint
Common - Be
Pusha T - My Name Is My Name
Ja Rule - R.U.L.E.
Will Smith - Lost & Found
DJ Jazzy Jeff - The Magnificent
LL Cool J - The G.O.A.T.
The Game - Doctor’s Advocate
Bun B - Trill
Blu & Exile - Give Me The Flowers While I Can Still Smell Them
Fashawn - Boy Meets World
Fat Joe - All Or Nothing
Cam’ron - Come Home With Me
Lil Kim - The Naked Truth
YG - My Krazy Life
Remy Ma - There’s Something About Remy: Based On A Tru Story
Snoop Dogg - The Blue Carpet Treatment
Living Legends - Classic
Rhymefest - Blue Collar
Method Man & Redman - Blackout 2
Ghostface Killah - Ghostdini: Wizard Of Poetry In Emerald City
J. Cole - Friday Night Lights
Ice Cube - Laugh Now, Cry Later
Beastie Boys - To The Five Boroughs
Maino - If Tomorrow Comes
The Roots - Game Theory
Statik Selektah - Spell My Name Right
EMC - The Show
Wale - Attention Deficit
This list is by no means set in stone. I am actually right now thinking I should replace the EMC album with Masta Ace's "A Long Hot Summer", but it does not matter. Also, I do not claim that these are the 30 best albums. These are simply 30 albums that have been important to me in the last 14 years.
Edited by Turntable

nice list turntable, rhymefest blue collar is one of my favorite albums of the 2000s too:

Edited by bigted

i know this is before 2000 but in 1999...

1999 in general was a very good year for rap in my opinion... a lot of dope albums came out back then! It was also around the time I started listening to Hip Hop, mostly commercial stuff at the beginning... one of my All Time Fav's from '99 was Dre's 2001 LP! Good times...

Edited by 10th Prince

i know this is before 2000 but in 1999...

1999 in general was a very good year for rap in my opinion... a lot of dope albums came out back then! It was also around the time I started listening to Hip Hop, mostly commercial stuff at the beginning... one of my All Time Fav's from '99 was Dre's 2001 LP! Good times...

yeah dre's "2001" had some classic songs on it, not quite as groundbreaking as the chronic but still a great album, now the one song on there that really touches me is "the message" with mary j. blige, dre pours his heart out about losing his brother and eazy-e, really deep...

I know this isn't an album but this Busta Rhymes & Q-Tip mixtape released in 2013 is some quality hip hop worth mentioning:

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/25325/busta-rhymes-qtip-the-abstract-the-dragon.html

• Admin

When I think of hip-hop music post 2000, this always comes to mind...

I'm sick of bitches shakin' asses
I'm sick of talkin' 'bout blunts, sick of Versace glasses
Sick of slang, sick of half-ass awards shows
Sick of name brand clothes
Sick of R&B bitches over bull**** tracks
Cocaine and crack, which brings sickness to blacks
Sick of swoll' head rappers with their sicker than raps
Clappers of gats, makin' the whole sick world collapse

well said tim, i think you'd like this new single off of chuck d's new album called "get it right or be gone", it's about all the trash that's on the radio now:

• 3 months later...

Lately I can't stop listening to Lecrae's "Anomaly" CD, this is the breath of fresh air that mainstream hip hop been lacking for about 10 years or so, reminds me of Kanye's early work, except this is gospel hip hop, still it's that positive feel good music, it's great to know that "All I Need Is You" is nominated for a grammy, my favorite song is "Nuthin" where he breaks down the state of the music industry, reminds me of Will's "Lost & Found" song, maybe Will could hear that track and be motivated to come back again: