JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

NEW MICHAEL JACKSON ALBUM - 'XSCAPE' IS RELEASED MAY 13 2014

Da Brakes

I thought this was an April's Fools but maybe not!

New Michael Jackson album to be released in May

XscapeAlbumCover.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26824983

A new Michael Jackson album, featuring eight new tracks from the late artist's archive, will be released on 13 May.

Titled Xscape, the track listing was chosen by Epic Records chairman LA Reid, who trawled through four decades of Jackson's demos and off-cuts.

The tracks were then updated by the likes of Timbaland, who works with Justin Timberlake, and Stargate, who have produced Rihanna and Beyonce.

Reid called the process of reworking the songs "contemporizing".

"Michael left behind some musical performances that we take great pride in presenting through the vision of music producers that he either worked directly with or expressed strong desire to work with," said Reid.

"We are extremely proud and honoured to present this music to the world."

A deluxe edition of the album will also feature the eight tracks in their original form alongside the remixed versions.

Xscape is the only track on the album to be updated by its original producer - Rodney Jerkins, who worked on the sessions for Jackson's final studio album, Invincible, in 2001.

John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of Jackson's estate said: "Michael was always on the cutting edge and was constantly reaching out to new producers, looking for new sounds.

"He was always relevant and current. These tracks, in many ways, capture that spirit. We thank LA Reid for his vision."

'Lumpy'

Other producers involved in the project include McClain and Jerome "J-Roc" Harmon.

Jackson died on 25 June, 2009, at the age of 50 from an overdose of the powerful anaesthetic propofol.

He had been out of the public eye for several years but was preparing for a series of comeback performances at the O2 arena in London.

Jackson, who was nicknamed The King of Pop, had dozens of hits during a career that began in childhood with the Jackson 5.

His biggest solo hits included Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean, Bad and Man in the Mirror.

One previous album of unreleased material, titled Michael, was issued in 2010.

Among its better tracks were Hold My Hand, a duet with R&B singer Akon which was almost complete at the time of his death, and a cover of Yellow Magic Orchestra's Behind the Mask, which dated from the 1980s.

But critics were not keen - with The Guardian calling the album "lumpy" and "schlocky". Rolling Stone magazine noted: "He would not have released anything like this compilation".

However, the album sold relatively well (although well below the 51m he achieved with Thriller) paving the way for future compilations.

I previously posted this on my Facebook. I'm so happy something new is coming out! I'm also really happy they are releasing the remixed/re-polished versions along with the originals. Nearly every 2Pac original was better than the doctored versions...especially as more albums were released. I would kill to have the chance to have mastered versions of his originals. I have a feeling that both the originals and remixed songs are going to be great. I got Xscape (which was originally spelled correctly) yeeeeeears ago. The leaked version was great quality, so I'm glad to see it getting a proper release. I liked the Micheal album, but it definitely didn't feel like an album when you listened to it straight though. Hopefully this one flows a little better. This is my first time hearing of the project, so I love that the wait isn't too long.

Okay, this is throwing me off a bit. "Xscape" is available for streaming and this polished version isn't as good as the original. That's not really surprising. The thing is the point of remixing it should be to make it better...at least make it sound fresh. The original sounds very 1999ish and this version sounds just as dated, but not as good. I'm looking forward to getting the deluxe version with the origionals.

Check it the remixed version of "Xscape" here.

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/michael-jackson-xscape-mp3.html

I haven't listed to "Escape" (the version that leaded 10 years ago, or so), in a long time. It's on my parents computer and I just haven't been able to get my music off it yet. I remember sounding more slick and even more like some of the stuff on Invincible. I'm pretty sure this is remixed with a vintage MJ feel incorporated.

I think it was recorded in 1999. I believe Tim believes they might have done two songs together. It's been awhile since we discussed it, so my memory is a little foggy. It would have been great if they released a proper MIIB soundtrack...it would have been the perfect way to release the song. MJ also did a song with LL Cool J after Bad but before Dangerous. I have it on the mixtape.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to this album, I liked "Michael" but I have a feeling this'll be better