JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

James Avery died

VLAGRO

• Members

Its really sad. He seemed to be one of the most down to earth and human actors around... I remember I read an article a couple of months ago where Will was saying how James Avery teached him a lot about being more humble about both his profession and himself, and that he had made a lot of really bad calls before FPoBA. I think Will really has a lot to thank this man for, he was a really good actor and seemed to be a really nice man as well.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apprently my comment didn't stick to this thread. I noticed when Alfonso broke the news on Facebook and Twitter around 1pm today. My heart sank. James Avery is recognized on our favorite sitcom, but there was so much more to his gift than Uncle Phil. I wouldn't be taking any liberties when I say his is literally one of the best actors of all time. I haven't seen ALL of his work, but I've seen some of it and FPofBA was only a small part of his capabilities. While we saw some sincere and comical moments on the show, the man could pull off a wide range of characters. I remember how mind-blown I was when I found out he also did the voice of the Shredder on the 80's/90's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons. He played a similar character in Sparks, but I loved that show as well. Beyond all of that, he seemed to be incredibly humble and giving. He was probably the best actor on the FBofBA, but wasn't condescending those with fewer credentials.

He's an icon and his legacy will certainly always be around due to the many projects he was involved in. My prayers go out to his friends and family who are affected at this time.

• Members

Rest in Peace, James Avery. I loved him as Uncle Phil and also realize that he did the voice for Shredder in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, as long as voice acting in several other series. He seemed to have a close relationship with everyone from Fresh Prince, even today. That's saying something considering the cast hasn't been together on set since 1996. Still can't believe he's gone.

Rest In Peace James Avery AKA Uncle Phil

From Janet's Facebook:
I am home healing and was shocked to hear of James's passing. I think this incredible clip says it best. Acting with James was like a great doubles match! He was one of the best actors I have worked with in my many years. He was like a big strong boulder, that could either crush you or shield you. He was first and foremost an actor, classically trained, climbed that ladder step by step, role by role, to become one of the most powerful TV dads that had ever been created. My heart goes out to Barbara his real wife and family and I ask that you respect her place, as his real wife with regards to her husband with request for statements from me who simply but proudly played his TV wife Vivian Banks. RIP James, all the world is a stage, and we are all merely players in this production called LIFE.

From Tatyana's Facebook (Karyn Parsons shared it on her Facebook too):
I spent last night going through photos. I found these two from our final Friday night taping of Fresh Prince. We had a cake fight after shedding tears. People don't really understand that we knew how special our time together was. It wasn't special because of popularity or success, but because we were all together, sharing it. It's like it was all meant to be, and we could feel it. In the photo from left to right there's Jeff Pollack, Joseph Marcell, Ross Bagely Jr., Alfonso Ribeiro, Shelley Jensen our director, me, Karyn Parsons Sweet Blackberry, Quincy Jones and Will Smith. Jeff Pollack and James Avery left us.
James was a philosopher king. He taught me to love history and poetry. He taught me that being an artist is one of the noblist professions. He gave me black baby dolls every Christmas. He used to joke that I'd visit him in the old actors age home when I got older. Every end is a beginning. I know James is at peace.
Thanks everyone for all your kind words and thoughts. It means a lot to his family and friends.
A Poem Of Friendship by Nikki Giovanni
We are not lovers
because of the love
we make
but the love
we have
We are not friends
because of the laughs
we spend
but the tears
we save
I don't want to be near you
for the thoughts we share
but the words we never have
to speak
I will never miss you
because of what we do
but what we are
together
1497648_10152084095533972_936541105_n.jp
Edited by Ale

Rest in Peace, Mr. Avery. On a pure fantasy level, if I could have picked an actor to play my dad, it would be him.

On a side note: I guess time will tell whether Janet Hubert-Whitten makes a statement (not that she absolutely has to). I hope, maybe, this can show that often times, life is too short; maybe she can bury the hatchet with Will.

How social media activate is Will Smith really? Jada's already said a piece, and the rest of the cast. I'm sure when it comes to Will's next proper TV appearance he will speak about him.