JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

So how optimistic are you about a new album at this point?

Why are we limiting it to an album OR a tour? I'm waiting for BOTH. I see an album being more likely than a tour. At the same time, a concert is for just one night, but an album lasts forever. I WANT IT ALL.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AJ you've had more optimism than most even a few years back, Ours was never going to grow 8 years after the last album. An album may last a lifetime amongst 9 other albums. But a tour would last a lifetime and be remembered in your heart. Them sort of memories can't be made on record.

I wonder what Will's reaction would be if he read this; his most die hard fans giving up hope. In reference to Will and his treadmill, after Lost and Found I think we were all on the treadmill until his next album, but I think a lot of us are passing out and falling off the treadmill.

If I'm totally honest and going from what we've seen from Will in the past I would prefer another album. But it would have to be a JJFP album. They haven't done a full album together properly since Code Red and we all know how that turned out. The trouble with a concert is that Will wont do the songs we all want him to. He'll do the Jiggy, MIB, Switch songs which he pretty much does everytime he performs.

I was lucky enough to see Will and Jeff do their thing at the I,Robot premier. That is enough to last me. I need more music!!!

• Admin

Oh a new Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince album would be the ultimate. Just Will & Jeff. I just don't see how it happens. Will isn't committed enough to it. If he made it a priority I'm sure he could get it done. In 1996 I thoughts Will's music career was over..he came back with Big Willie Style.. in 2004 I thought Will's rap career was over he came back with Lost and Found. In 2013 I think he's done and I just don't think he will return, it's now 8 years since his last album. Even Kanye West trying to convince him to come back wasn't enough.

I think it's important to say that Homebase was truly the last complete JJ+FP album. While JJ+FP took on Code Red as a project, a lot of other hands were in the pot. Pete Rock, Dallas Austin, Teddy Riley....all dope and legendary producers/artists, but Jazzy didn't get enough time on the boards or the wheels. Code Red is jam packed with great songs, but it isn't seamless like their other album. Sure Hula + K. Fingers worked on a couple of songs for Homebase, but they were just a small part of the big picture.

I think it's silly to want one or the other. I want more albums and a show. Why are we limiting to only one. I think the bottom line is that Jazzy is more than optimistic, he has had some studio time, and he embraces grabbing the mic on TV. Just because it's been a long time doesn't mean the chances have decreased that we'll see him again. Plus, FP is better on the mic while he's promoting NEW music.

I think the most we've got to look forward to now is Will performing on talk shows like Graham Norton and David Letterman, and if we're really lucky he may do the one off performance with Jeff at one of his movie premiers. Sadly i think that this is the most we're gonna get when it comes to music

i find it very sad that will would cave into the criticism of his haters that say he's a better actor than an emcee and give up on a legendary hip hop career that very few emcees have been on with over 30 million records sold, the numerous awards and accolades including the first ever hip hop grammy, Will and Jeff should be in the Rock and Roll hall of fame for what they've done being music pioneers, they've inspired me so much, like everyone here i don't wanna see fresh prince give up

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Will Smith loves money, like any other Hollywood celebrity, but he did that already in 2005; Ive always been really curious to what Will has to say about Lost & Found in retrospective, if it lived up to his expectations commercially, critically and quality-wise.

But actually, Im gonna break my 8 year JJFP.com-tradition and be one of the more optimistic ones in this thread;
There is a good chance Will makes another album (or at least a couple of tracks) if Trey keeps DJ:ing and want to pursue a career as producer, if Willow leaves the pop **** and gets into hiphop or if Jaden makes a reversed Will and goes into music. The best possibilites to hear Will dropping new rhymes is probably if he feels his children would gain from it.

Also it is hard to predict the long term possibilities. If Will gets his damn Oscar (which I dont find too likely at the moment), he could probably focus less on acting and more on less time/energy consuming stuff like recording. It doesnt apply to everyone but I think it happens a lot that as you grow old, you turn back to your roots in some fashion, and those roots would definitely include performing and all the adrenalin that comes from it, but it could also mean recording.

Either way, I think we will probably hear Will rap again, even if its only as an featured artist.

• Members

I don't think it did live up to his expectations, commercially. If it did, we probably would have gotten that Tell Me Why video. We might have had another album by now too.

It's a bit weird though because its kind of like they didnt want it to work. The "Party Starter" video was released like... four months later than it should have been, despite the success of Switch...

Maybe there are people in Will's surroundings who gain more money when he makes movies than albums, and that didnt want him to succeed. I dunno.

Edited by Simon Lerkot Berglind

I agree. After "Switch," the promotion was over. He stopped performing on TV shows and at events. "Party Starter" had a visually interesting video, but it didn't fit the song. It broke away from the simplicity that the video for "Switch" had. The time between videos is what truly killed it though. If he would have released it on the heels of "Switch," it would have been a huge hit as well. In 2005, he could have easily had three videos had he approached promotion properly. Music isn't going to slow down the millions from Hollywood, so I doubt there's anyone who cares what he focuses on.