JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

So how optimistic are you about a new album at this point?

For a minute there, it really seemed like we would be seeing something substantial soon (doesn't help that Jeff often helps to fuels that fire). Now? Not so much.

So the premise is this: Will is 45. He's not beyond the age of vets still rapping, but he's getting up there. He's also still hunting for that Oscar. Oh, and he doesn't like to lose. It seems like the polarized view of Seven Pounds kind of hurt his ego, considering how invested he was in that one. And it's definitely felt like that last few years have been more about his kids (specifically Jaden now) than anything else. He had some fun again with MIB3 but AE was not a success by Will's previous standards, at all.'

So with all of that in mind, what do you think the odds are that we'll see another album within the next 5 years? 8 years ago when Lost & Found came out, I would've said that we'd have seen it by 2007. But it didn't do BWS or W2K numbers, so he chased acting again. It's always nice to see Will in the studio, but lately, it always seems to be with subpar artists. His perfectionist attitude hurts him sometimes, I think. Sometimes, the people just need to hear something raw. L&F proved that Will still had it- more than most, really. But he continues to push other projects ahead of hip hop.

So I don't think we will see anything substantial until Will takes a radical change in direction. Sometimes I get the vibe that he's too smart for his own good. He goes after what he thinks is most likely to serve him best. But I think he should do what he enjoys the most. L&F was a glimpse of that Will. I want him back. I await your thoughts.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

(Let me introduce myself first, my name is Abdul Osman, nice to meet you all :wave2: )

Your right about him having a "perfectionist attitude", but the thing about Will is, he sometimes wants to do rap and then all of a sudden he becomes interrested in a film project. I personally think he won't make a new album, but he might record a new song.

Edited by Abdul1997

With Will who knows. I was optimistic for years after Lost and Found, then when everytime someone asked him about music he would dismiss it and say he was done, i lost all hope then. But the past year i think there still may be a chance. I don't even think Will knows if hes going to make a new album. What he says is different from what he does. He was saying he was gonna do 5 years of action movies then he was too old and he was going to concentrate on drama etc, but that didnt happen, im sure its been more than 5 years and hes still doing action. Then when he said he was gonna take 6 months off, that turned into a few years!

I think Will plans things but really he just does whatever gets him at the time. To make a new album he needs to be inspired. If hes not feeling it and he comes up with rubbish, hes not going to release it. Trouble is, we need some decent music to get Will inspired like the Fugees did, but i cant see any decent rappers out there right now.

There's still some quality hip hop out there, you got the veterans like LL Cool J, Public Enemy and KRS-ONE still out there, and some younger mcs like J. Cole, Wale, and Kendrick Lamar are doing their thing too, now I'm working on some things myself, I think there's some talent on this board like Da Brakes, Hero, and FUQ that could drop something as well to bring the realness back that could drive the veterans like JJFP to continue on, I'm still remaining positive that Will's gonna drop something new, I still come to this board almost everyday hoping to catch the news of something, as long as the Fresh Prince's alive hip hop ain't dead

I believe we'll see one. I believe it's not coming too soon, but that it won't be tooooooooooo far either. He's an emcee and people are so fond of his music. Whenever he performs semi-often to let us know he still has it and every time he's reminded how the masses love the music. We know he's recorded music over the years hear and there. He testing himself and the people he works with. When things click, it'll take off. Keep the faith!

Will has enough hits already where he could do 2 hour shows on a tour with Jeff easily, yeah at this point I think a tour would actually be better than an album as well since he's such a great performer and performance has been a lost art

Being in the Midwest tours generally don't make an impact for me since the cost to get there is usually pretty high, so I personally would rather have an album since that lasts forever. As far as how optimistic, I'd say just about zero. I mean apart from that one quick bit he did on Jazzy's summertime mixtape, he can't seem to scrap up enough time to do a full new song on one of Jazzy's mixtapes. Not to mention he has a studio in his house. It's a bummer. In his music he told his fans he'd never stop, but he has and its unfortunate. He's in a different space now pushing his kids even in movies, I feel if we did get a new album, and that's a big if, it would be filled with songs with Jaden. I'm not against the kid, but I'd rather he release a solo album himself before he'd jump on a Jazzy Jeff Fresh Prince album. But as optimistic as Jeff is I'm not so much. I've been laughed off the block since I was in junior high arguing Will is a top rapper, but it's hard when he seems to gave up.

We've got so many Legends who still releae amazing music, Chuck D, De La, LL. Hip-Hop is too young for people to say old guys can't rap, I picture Chuck D rapping until he's 100 years old. I mean to quote him when he was being inducted into the RRHF, "We all come from the damn blues," and BB King and Buddy Guy keep going and going. I mean even 3rd Bass reunited last month and are supposed to be releasing a new song on a mixtape coming up.

In part I wrote this article back in the day in hopes that if he ever saw it he would agree he's not too old. I would post it here but the site seems to not be letting me do so, so whatever.

I guess Will sees himself as either being a major pop seller or not doing it at all. The Vet's still going are happy with their steady sales and minimal chart impact, making more money from touring and merch than record sales and flashy vids. Will, would never go down that route and that is a shame.

I'm with Tim on this one. I had some hope when I heard he did some stuff with Kanye but since that didn't make the Yeezus album I kinda lost all hope. He's too focused on making (bad) movies at the moment (have't seen After Earth yet, don't feel like it) that Hip Hop has been pushed to the side.

I just hope he will do a world tour one day so I can hear/ see live. At this point that would mean more to me than a new album!

Yeh, I'm surprised more people are for a new album rather than a tour if it had to be between the two. We have 9 Studio albums worth of material to witness live, I think some people who haven't really enjoyed the power of a live show much in the past don't realise what an amazing experience it can be.

I would take hearing Brand New Funk Live with JJFP over a new album any day of the week.