JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Our reviews of After Earth

Jazzy Julie

I'll wait for the DVD. Don't really follow the idea that I need to support Will just cos he's released a movie. Music is a different issue, that's what turned me into a Will Smith fan rather than his hit or miss movie career.

I'll go by the plot, and i'm not a major fan of sci-fi or fantasy. So this was never gonna be on my must see list even if reviews were better.

• 2 months later...

I just watched the movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I went into it expecting to be bored based on the 11% rotten tomatoes rating, but I was engaged the entire way through. I liked it way better than a lot of Will Smith's other films, like MIB 2 and 3. Maybe it's because I thoroughly enjoy sci-fi movies and father-son movies, but I'm amazed by how wrong the reviews were. I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10.

I also didn't see any Scientology in it either. I was curious about that so I dug around to see what I missed. Apparently a few critics cried Scientology but actual experts (ones critical of Scientology) said that the movie was in no way a promotion tool for Scientology, it was missing many key tenants and anything that did seem similar to Scientology is common to most sci-fi movies. I read through some of the critics complains and one of the things they brought up was the fact that there's a volcano in the movie and a volcano on some of the editions of a Scientology book. That seems like an amazingly flimsy complaint.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally watched this. Not as bad as most the reviews i read. It was watchable. Jaden didn't annoy me as much as he comes acrosd in interviews lol. But as i said. Sci-Fi has never been my fave of genres. Glad to see it wasnt a total bomb financially in the end. Back to your best next time Will, Yeh?