JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

After Earth Box Office

Hero1

I have to be honest, I still haven't seen it. I will this week, and I don't ever care what critics say. I've just been busy and this kind of movie doesn't pull me in like most of them do. I like how he took the critical questions from Jimmy in stride. He was comical about it didn't seem to be that bothered. Not may people get confronted with questions like that, and he handled them perfectly. It may not be a critical success, but can we really call it a "flop?"

He can't win every single time, it must be hard to be expected to have a number 1 movie every time. I think this will be good for him though, it will push him bcoz i bet he hates to lose. Hes been a bit preoccupied with his kids careers the past few years. Maybe this will make him concentrate on his own a bit more.

I feel so bad for him though bcoz its not a bad movie, it doesnt deserve to be labelled a flop. The critics have not helped at all with this and i cant help but think hes become so successful that people just want to bring him down now. He tried something different and unfourtunatly it didnt work.

It has been more about people hating on Night and people hating on the fact tha Will is trying to promote his son, than about how good or bad the movie really is. And is a shame, really, because they worked very hard on this. Anyways, I agree with AJ, I liked the way he handled those questions. Julie, lets hope he DOES start working a little more on his career.

'Focus' has definitely got my attention tho.. I would love for Will to very much take a back seat in this one and just concentrate on acting. Leave the director and scriptwriters to do their thing.

I think that once Will does this and also doesn't fall back into 'wanting to win and Oscar' mode, we'll start to get some fantastic movies!

nearly 100 mil in a week? nice "flop" I say

The Will Smith-Jaden Smith sci-fi After Earth delivered a decent if not spectacular result, given that it was active in more than 60 markets. The early running total climbed to $48.6m including last weekend’s launch in South Korea.

Sony Pictures International Releasing sources said the overall launch was bigger than debuts in the same territories of Oblivion ($45.1m), The Last Airbender($42.7m) and Jaden Smith vehicle The Karate Kid($32.3m).

A ribbon of number one releases was led by Russia on $8.5m, Mexico on $5.3m, France on $4m and the UK on $3.5m. Italy generated $2.2m, Brazil $2.1m, Malaysia a terrific $2m, Germany $1.9m, Indonesia $1.6m and Taiwan $1.3m.

Tucked in behind After Earth by the most slender of margins was Universal Pictures International’s global smash Fast & Furious 6.

Don't ever bet againts Will!

Edited by gosia

Don't mean to be a buzz kill, but the film has a budget of 130 million and likely 100 million in marketing. Taking into account that movie theaters get some of the box office also, this film would need to reach 350 million to start seeing a profit. I sure Will has a good percentage deal on the movie, also. On MIB3, which made 624 million, he was rumored to have made 100 million.

• Admin

US

9 After Earth $3,750,000 -65.0% $ $54,200,000

Overseas

In its second weekend, After Earth fell 47 percent to $24 million. To date, the Will Smith/Jaden Smith sci-fi adventure has earned $91.1 million, which is unimpressive considering it's out in nearly all foreign markets already. It expands in to Japan next weekend, and will likely reach China as well at some point.