JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

New UK Jeff Show April 2013

KevTastic

Thats cool Brakes. Was an awesome night, just a few more yawns than normal in the wee hours.

Thanks again Tim and Nicole for the guestlist.

Sorry i was shattered last night so i crashed. Firstly i love that i look like i photobombed that pic with skillz. I wasnt quite ready to get in place and in my defense it was like 4.30am.

So i'll tell you our little story because i like to keep the memory for myself too. So we heard that Jeff was gonna be on 1-3am so we were all ready for a long night, we are all getting close to 30 now and cant handle these late nights lol. Brakes and Kev were popping painkillers in McDonalds beforehand for bad backs etc. So first we went in a little club next to Scala for a quick drink, we all got searched and the bouncer found Kevs heatpack for his bad back lol, he looked at it for quite a while but then it kinda did look like a small slab of cocaine.

So we went to Scala at about 10.30pm, got searched again, how dodgy are these clubs? Luckily the guestlist was all sorted and we got in for free! Thanx Tim and Nicole, saved us £18 :) We had a look at the setlist and saw that Jeff wasnt on until 2am, are they trying to kill us. We wernt in the club long until Burnadette (am i right in saying she is Darnells ex?) and her boyfriend came , they were both lovely. So at first we saw the nextmen, they were ok but didnt have a patch on Jeff. But while they were on i fought my way closer to the front (it sucks being 5"1). We also saw Tims cousins, i cant remember his name but he had a ponytail and glasses, he was talking about how i met your Aunty Tim and he was amazed that i had travelled so far to see Jeff lol.

So Jeff and Skillz came on just after 2am, skillz noticed Brakes and Kev straight away and shook Brakes hand over the crowd. The set was amazing, i liked it so much more than the last time i saw him. He even started out with the harlem shake and the crowd went mental and i got squished. Like Brakes i also loved his little "I wanna rock" bit, it was such a shame he only included a tiny bit because what i saw was amazing. Both skillz and Jeff know exactly how to work a crowd.

So after the show i was thinking we wouldnt get to go backstage because Darnell wasnt there, but Skillz came over and told us to come up the stairs. So i started to move and Skillz said "No just you two" just as my face dropped he suddenly realized and said "oh is she with you". So i got in there lol, to be fair ive only met them once a year ago, i dont expect them to remember me. So "backstage" was just at the side of the stage and Jeff recognized the guys straight away. I then got a hug from Jeff :) He didnt stay about for too long but it was past 4am and it was his third show of the night. Skillz stayed about for a while and chatted for a bit.

We eventually left the club past 4.30am, tired was not the word. I had a great night though, nice to see the guys again and Jeff was amazing as usual. Heres my pic of me and Jeff.

P1030391_zps2979c982.jpg

P1030386_zpsa8944a41.jpg

P1030385_zps3922398e.jpg

P1030384_zps36dfeec8.jpg

Hey Jeff was here as well, everything was dope, i met him, even we make an interview, Skillz was there, i get an autograph IMG_1312.jpg

BUT the music Jeff was playing wasnt kool, mostly some commersial rap, even dupstep ha, almost no real hip hop, no JJFP song or Will's ..the scratching was dope!! but i dont liked the music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sRE6aXpdng&feature=youtu.be true story, i wished he was playing some of his fave tracks...

Jeff very rarely plays his stuff or Will's... At Jazz Cafe he played Jiggy and that is probably the only time I've heard him play a Will Smith track.

He likes to take people on a journey with his sets and play a wide range of tracks.. I can't remember the last time he played one genre for the night.

• Admin

Great recap Julie! FreshfromSofia Jeff used to play a lot of hip hop.. he used to go through a lot of classics.. tribe called quest/pharcyde/souls of mischief/de la soul/black sheep/rakim/biggie/2pac/snoop/ i haven't seen him play those long hip hop sets in a while though..and in fact when he played classics like tribe called quest he got almost no response from the audience..but when he plays some new stuff like yellow & black people go nuts.. it is what it is.. I am just glad I got to see Jeff spin..when he spun vinyl..did it for 3 hours plus and didn't have Skillz there yelling over every track.. they were probably the best sets I ever saw him do..and you could tell how skilled he was and how far ahead of everyone else he was back then.. Although seeing Jeff play in Vegas was one hell of an experience it was probably the worst music I have ever see him play..all top 40 rubbish tracks.. The interesting thing is being up on stage and looking out at the crowd is you see how they react..and the crowd loves that stuff.. whenever Jeff would play music that I love..there would be nothing.. The other thing is I'm 33 now.. so why would I expect some drunk 18 year old chick to like de la soul's award tour or tribe called quest scenario? It ain't happening.

Jeff very rarely plays his stuff or Will's... At Jazz Cafe he played Jiggy and that is probably the only time I've heard him play a Will Smith track.

He likes to take people on a journey with his sets and play a wide range of tracks.. I can't remember the last time he played one genre for the night.

well that journey that Jeff take me was to a 15 years old teen ipod..i have no problem with reggae, pop, rock... but i cant say that for a music for the fingers (snaping sh*ts lil wayne etc.) come on (: i can see that point just dont feel it, when there is a crowd for good music, something like diss

Edited by fresh_from_sofia