JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Hip-Hop Mogul Chris Lighty Dead of Apparent Suicide

Jazzy Julie

It's a sad day for hip-hop.

Chris Lighty, who managed stars such as Mariah Carey, 50 Cent and Missy Elliot, died of an apparent suicide today. He was 44.
The New York Police Department confirms to E! News that Lighty (also known as Darrell) was found dead at 11:30 a.m. local time in his Bronx apartment with a gunshot wound to the head. Police are investigating, though there were no signs of foul play.
No further information is being given at this time.

In a final blog post titled "Chaos and Mayhem...Hip-Hop" and dated Aug. 23, Lighty—a member of Boogie Down Productions and the founder of Violator Management (now Primary Violator)—Lighty expressed frustration at the "rat race we call hip-hop" and "the rumors and ridiculous stories" involving his clients. The latter was apparently in reference to an alleged altercation involving 50 Cent.

The reaction to Lighty's shocking death immediate reverberated through the music community.
"Rest peacefully Chris Lighty, my prayers go out to family and loved ones! Dear God please have mercy," tweeted Rihanna. Nick Cannon said, " I'm devastated right now. I can't believe my big brother Chris Lighty is gone...He was a pioneer, a mentor, and a great friend."
And Ludacris simply wrote: "R.I.P. Chris Lightly who always had the best energy every time I had an encounter with him. He will be missed."

http://uk.eonline.com/news/342276/hip-hop-mogul-chris-lighty-dead-of-apparent-suicide

I read this earlier and it really upset me. I didn't know much about Chris (other than the information in the various articles like this online. I just know he is responsible for a lot of Hip-Hop acts over the years. After all, BEP is legendary. He was one of LL's right hand men. I know his divorce must have been tough and his financial situations must of been stressful, but that stuff DOES get better. Very sad news. Rest in peace.

WBLS did a mix of a lot of the artists that Chris Lighty managed, his impact will never be forgotten, RIP